Microsoft Wants to Kill HDD Boot Drives by Next Year: Report

I couldn't tell you about now, but as recently as 2018 my work issued me a new Dell XPS with a spinning laptop drive.

I was rather annoyed.
I am actually shocked a laptop made in 2018 would HAVE a spinning disk drive at all.

I am actually shocked a laptop made in 2018 would HAVE a spinning disk drive at all.

Luckily that thing woung up having some other serious problems, (no, I didn't do it) and after some back and forth I got issued a new laptop earlier this year. One with an NVMe drive.

I'm a lot happier now. That thing was having me tear my hair out in frustration.

I couldn't tell you about now, but as recently as 2018 my work issued me a new Dell XPS with a spinning laptop drive.

I was rather annoyed.
I got to pick the laptops for our admin around 2018-2019 and made sure not to do that. The only compromise I did have to make was getting a model that still had a dvd/bd optical drive because we still interact with some agencies that use that media for various things. That led to a slightly less powerful CPU but I was at least happy to find a 4c/8t that boosts to 4.3 GHz. Other than that DDR4 and nand all the way. I'm sorry for you though. Its a lose/lose scenario these days for having a platter in something mobile. From battery to performance the hits just keep coming.

I got to pick the laptops for our admin around 2018-2019 and made sure not to do that. The only compromise I did have to make was getting a model that still had a dvd/bd optical drive because we still interact with some agencies that use that media for various things. That led to a slightly less powerful CPU but I was at least happy to find a 4c/8t that boosts to 4.3 GHz. Other than that DDR4 and nand all the way. I'm sorry for you though. Its a lose/lose scenario these days for having a platter in something mobile. From battery to performance the hits just keep coming.

The thing is, anyone who was doing this was very short sighted.

The cost difference between an SSD and a hard drive was not all that great back then. Especially since in a work laptop most people really don't need a 1TB drive. 128-256GB, enough to install Windows, Office and save a few small word files is all that would be required for most.

It's not like people are storing their media libraries on their work machines (and if they are treating their work machines like their personal machines, maybe, just maybe, they should be fired.)

We would have been talking $50.

Given engineering salaries, that SSD would pay for itself in a few weeks in the time it saves.

Become a Patron!
Back