Modified GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER Manages to Outperform RTX 4080 SUPER

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
A modified GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER has managed to best an RTX 4080 SUPER benchmark score after getting its memory upgraded. Recently two teams from Brazil, Paulo Gomes and TecLab, competed with each other to see who could push NVIDIA's RTX 4070 Ti Super to its fullest potential.

See full article...

This reminds me of way back when people would flash if I remember right their ATI cards to a model ahead. Anyone else remember that and am I correct on them being ATI cards?

This reminds me of way back when people would flash if I remember right their ATI cards to a model ahead. Anyone else remember that and am I correct on them being ATI cards?
Absolutely. Obviously it was a gamble - the reason for the upper die being binned to a lower SKU being variable and unknown. Could be that yields were much better than expected or required by the market - could be that there was an actual hardware reason that the die wouldn't validate higher.

Folks also did this with Athlon X3 CPUs to unlock the fourth core as another example, and there are certainly more.

Rarely are downsides thoroughly explored though. I'd agree that stability is a slope, not 'stable' and 'not stable', so if it's stable for your workload, it's "stable", but longevity also comes into play. Having a system that's been rock solid for years suddenly not be because it was pushed too hard can bite at inconvenient times!

I have to say that I'm continually impressed by the potential of the AD104/103 dies vs their Ampere counterparts. Ampere to some extent is like a hulking powerhouse and ADA refined that significantly while adding more performance. It is what you would expect from generational releases but not always to such a degree as this.

This experiment does make me wonder though if NVIDIA might do another release of some RTX 40 series GPUs after Blackwell launches featuring faster memory. On one hand, it would seem overkill given the Ti and SUPER variants but on the other NVIDIA is known to continue some refreshes even after a new-gen launch.

On that note, GN did an interesting report about NV's release strategy over the years which has resulted in a near-total market saturation point. Their report is neither here nor there but does point out some notable facts regarding new launches including overlapping launches along with a seemingly stagnating AMD release schedule.

Edit: Forgot to put AMD in "seemingly stagnating . . ."

Absolutely. Obviously it was a gamble - the reason for the upper die being binned to a lower SKU being variable and unknown. Could be that yields were much better than expected or required by the market - could be that there was an actual hardware reason that the die wouldn't validate higher.

Folks also did this with Athlon X3 CPUs to unlock the fourth core as another example, and there are certainly more.

Rarely are downsides thoroughly explored though. I'd agree that stability is a slope, not 'stable' and 'not stable', so if it's stable for your workload, it's "stable", but longevity also comes into play. Having a system that's been rock solid for years suddenly not be because it was pushed too hard can bite at inconvenient times!
I would say that lost folks doing these sort of mods aren't keeping their cards for more than 5 years regardless.

I would say that lost folks doing these sort of mods aren't keeping their cards for more than 5 years regardless.
Likely not in their primary gaming system, but going to other personal / family / friend systems, or selling?

In any of those cases, longevity is desirable, no?

Yup. I had an X850 Pro that I flashed to a X850 XT PE, then overclocked. Back when you could overclock them from like 500 Mhz to right around 700 Mhz. The performance gains were massive.

Yup. I had an X850 Pro that I flashed to a X850 XT PE, then overclocked. Back when you could overclock them from like 500 Mhz to right around 700 Mhz. The performance gains were massive.
Thank you for verifying. I thought it was something along those lines.

Become a Patron!
Back