MSI CLUTCH GM41 LIGHTWEIGHT WIRELESS Mouse Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member

Introduction

The gaming mouse market is evolving. Firstly, the traditional mainstays of the gaming mouse industry such as Logitech and Razer have been working to improve their offerings. In addition, new territory is being explored by newcomers such as Finalmouse and Glorious by incorporating new technologies and embracing emerging trends. And finally, there is a cadre of companies building up their offerings and looking to provide real competition to established brands. Enter MSI Gaming Gear hardware and peripherals...

Continue reading...

While it uses an internal battery, is it replaceable or are we looking at a dead-weight when the battery life goes to hell in a handbasket?

I want to thank everyone who checks out this review. This is our very first peripheral type review, specifically a mouse. We plan to do more of this kind in the future, expanding on peripherals. John Tharp (LazyGamer) will be heading these reviews. Feel free to give us feedback on the review format, and testing, and feel free to ask questions and provide suggestions for future reviews. We will take note of content to add for future reviews. The review format can evolve moving forward.

It’s integrated into the mouse, so replacement will probably require a custom solution

Product made me think of this:

Good review - tells you about everything you can know without holding the mouse yourself.

What about battery life between charges? I bought a rechargable Corsair Harpoon for a laptop and it doesnt fair well at all.
My old Logitechs used to run forever on a AA....

It’s integrated into the mouse, so replacement will probably require a custom solution
Thanks. I'm not a big fan of investing in disposable tech. Its bad enough that I am forced into it with Cell Phones. :(

Well, if it used AA cells, there’d almost certainly need to be other compromises made, so it’s definitely a user preference thing.

MSI was targeting users that value lower weight while keeping the battery life and build quality up.

That they managed to include a convenient dock is just icing, and given the out of box endurance, I’d expect to get many years out of the GM41 LW.

Nice review

I have a feeling something other than the battery will be the first thing to give out. Don’t kid yourself - all peripherals are disposable. Personally I’m not a fan of wireless but they have their place. They don’t need recharging too often so battery life cycles probably won’t be a constraint.

Being MSI, was there mention of warranty?

Looks to be one year from manufacturing date:

https://www.msi.com/page/warranty

As far as something other than the battery failing first, it’s certainly possible.

Only time will tell if the sum is more or less than the whole, what I can tell you is that they’re off to an impressive start!

Thanks, @LazyGamer, and @Brent_Justice for getting this rolling. Gaming peripherals are a complex market and I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about them. So much has changed over the decades and it has expanded greatly.

Very nice review. Also I am glad to hear that you will be expanding into peripherals.
One thing I would like to see done in mouse reviews is size comparisons via pictures. Helps give people some perspective when looking to buy a new mouse. I hated that part when I was looking for a new mouse. The numbers don't always tell you everything about its size.

Very nice review. Also I am glad to hear that you will be expanding into peripherals.
One thing I would like to see done in mouse reviews is size comparisons via pictures. Helps give people some perspective when looking to buy a new mouse. I hated that part when I was looking for a new mouse. The numbers don't always tell you everything about its size.
So, my SO is my primary photographer (I'm technical, they're artistic), and that's actually on the list, thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks, @LazyGamer, and @Brent_Justice for getting this rolling. Gaming peripherals are a complex market and I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about them. So much has changed over the decades and it has expanded greatly.

Just so annoying these things are so **** subjective, I found some of the best reviewed mice to be complete garbage in my hands (looking at you G502).

Just so annoying these things are so **** subjective, I found some of the best reviewed mice to be complete garbage in my hands (looking at you G502).
I know how you feel!

Some of the best mice I've ever gamed with myself have been some of the cheapest, usually because they were the smallest and thus the lightest. Still, while it's difficult to distill something as personal as an input device into a broadly applicable review, we're trying to do just that.

A big part of that is focusing on size and weight, in addition to things like sensor performance, fit and finish, and software customization. Having owned quite a few Logitech 500-series mice myself, there's two basic observations I can give: first, they're quite nice especially for their price bracket, being solidly built with proven components, and second, they're large and they're heavy.

That first point tends to overwhelm the second for many media, and when it comes to comparing mice in terms of ounces or grams, the differences on paper don't seem to reflect the impact of significantly higher or lower weight, in my opinion. So we'll try to address that too.

Strangely always found MS peripheral hardware to be really good actually which is kind of weird.

When Microsoft put the Intellimouse back on sale, I grabbed two for my father. They'd been a long-time favorite of his.

Become a Patron!
Back