MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti GAMING X TRIO Video Card Review

Eduardo_Domingot

{NG}Fidel
Staff member
Introduction

msi_3060ti_banner.png

In our review today we will be taking a look at the MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti GAMING X TRIO, the highest-end RTX 3060 Ti currently produced by MSI. MSI does offer a non-“X” model that has a lower GPU Boost, but the “X” model we have today has a higher boost clock. Below that you will find the VENTUS and TWIN FAN models. The GAMING X TRIO also indicates this is a tri-fan design. In essence, this is the fastest GeForce RTX 3060 Ti video card MSI offers. Also check out our recent review of the MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to justify buying an overpriced lesser GPU that needs very aggressive overclocks to get "close" to the baseline of better GPU that sits only 10 dollars ahead is not very convincing......not to mention, compare apple to apples, overclock the 3070 FE and then compare them. If the 3060 you review was significantly cheaper, you might have an argument......10 bucks.....nope.
Also, since you can't buy either one......well who cares.

Yeah... The pricing on this one doesn't make total sense. Like Magoo was saying, it's only $10 cheaper than the 3070 FE, and I'm sure would be stomped if the FE was overclocked too.

Only positive I do have to add, is its nice to see them crush last generations GPUs with a power reduction to boot!

PS: Nice review {NG}Fidel! Well done!

Trying to justify buying an overpriced lesser GPU that needs very aggressive overclocks to get "close" to the baseline of better GPU that sits only 10 dollars ahead is not very convincing......not to mention, compare apple to apples, overclock the 3070 FE and then compare them. If the 3060 you review was significantly cheaper, you might have an argument......10 bucks.....nope.
Also, since you can't buy either one......well who cares.

Look it fas some fancy lights, hey lets charge $90+
Really there is NO scenenario where this card is a better choice than the simplest RTX3070.

Pricing on everything is pretty much broken right now, a rotten time to buy any class of GPU.
That being said, this card did impress me due to its low operating temperatures, silent operation, and its build quality. Feel free to disagree. For my part I agree that the pricing is steep, as are most premium GPUs, and perhaps I could have worded that better in my article.
On the other hand, I think they are providing a premium product here, and MSRP's are basically meaningless right now.

I get the feelings here though guys, and I sympathize. Right now I am looking around for a friend, his Titan X Pascal had its VRAM take a **** on him, and it feels like looking around for replacements is a waste of time. Everything Is marked up to a ridiculous amount to a point where I think we do need to allow for some time to pass before prices settle down to something reasonable.

Pricing on everything is pretty much broken right now, a rotten time to buy any class of GPU.
That being said, this card did impress me due to its low operating temperatures, silent operation, and its build quality. Feel free to disagree. For my part I agree that the pricing is steep, as are most premium GPUs, and perhaps I could have worded that better in my article.
On the other hand, I think they are providing a premium product here, and MSRP's are basically meaningless right now.

I get the feelings here though guys, and I sympathize. Right now I am looking around for a friend, his Titan X Pascal had its VRAM take a **** on him, and it feels like looking around for replacements is a waste of time. Everything Is marked up to a ridiculous amount to a point where I think we do need to allow for some time to pass before prices settle down to something reasonable.
There are no bad products, only bad prices :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't really think it makes sense to make premium cards that overlap with the next tier specially with mainstream cards. There are several 3070 premium cards that retail at over $600 but they don't overlap with the RTX3080.

It's kinda like this: Premium Card vs. Premium Card it might make sense

But Premium Card vs. Stock Reference MSRP Card it doesn't

Know what I mean?

The MSI 3070 GAMING X TRIO is $599 vs. The MSI 3060 Ti GAMING X TRIO is $489

So if you only go for premium, custom cards then there you go, there's a $110 price separation, and so the 3060 Ti looks more appealing price-wise, and can reach almost 3070 performance. That's not a bad deal.

MSI 3060 Ti GAMING X TRIO is $489 vs. Stock Reference MSRP 3070 is $499

Well then that doesn't look like a good deal, but at this point, you are comparing a premium custom card, to a no frills, stock, reference 3070 at its MSRP, and yes that would mean the 3070 is a better deal, BUT, you forgo the bells and whistles. In that comparison, it doesn't make sense, but again, it's two different "builds" of cards.

Last edited:
Really there is NO scenenario where this card is a better choice than the simplest RTX3070.
There is the scenario where this card is in stock at MSRP, and the closest 3070 is a scalped $1200 model.

It looks a lot better in that hypothetical situation, but in deference to your point - that's about the only situation it looks good.

It's kinda like this: Premium Card vs. Premium Card it might make sense

But Premium Card vs. Stock Reference MSRP Card it doesn't

Know what I mean?

The MSI 3070 GAMING X TRIO is $599 vs. The MSI 3060 Ti GAMING X TRIO is $489

So if you only go for premium, custom cards then there you go, there's a $110 price separation, and so the 3060 Ti looks more appealing price-wise, and can reach almost 3070 performance. That's not a bad deal.

MSI 3060 Ti GAMING X TRIO is $489 vs. Stock Reference MSRP 3070 is $499

Well then that doesn't look like a good deal, but at this point, you are comparing a premium custom card, to a no frills, stock, reference 3070 at its MSRP, and yes that would mean the 3070 is a better deal, BUT, you forgo the bells and whistles. In that comparison, it doesn't make sense, but again, it's two different "builds" of cards.
I concur, but the thing is, the stock 3070 is a **** good card, even without all the bells and whistles, it runs cool, its quiet and is a nice overclocker.

I am on the look for stock RTX 3070, I would consider a 3060Ti if I saved at least $50 with bells and whistles.

I gotta say that for as long as I can remember I've wanted to buy a next gen card during the christmas season. Only got the RivaTnT2 from my girlfriend back then (and S3X :p :p ) and a Geforce 8600 I won on a contest.

Anyway I quickly learned it was the worst shopping time for videocards, no stock and inflated prices, got much worse in the last few years, I'd say since Maxwell. So I rather wait till spring and see what happens. Who knows, maybe Cyberpunk bugs will be ironed out :D:D

I gotta say that for as long as I can remember I've wanted to buy a next gen card during the christmas season. Only got the RivaTnT2 from my girlfriend back then (and S3X :p :p ) and a Geforce 8600 I won on a contest.

Anyway I quickly learned it was the worst shopping time for videocards, no stock and inflated prices, got much worse in the last few years, I'd say since Maxwell. So I rather wait till spring and see what happens. Who knows, maybe Cyberpunk bugs will be ironed out :D:D
Could not agree more regarding Cyber Punk 2077 but I will say that some of those bugs are hilarious.
If I put a body in one car and then blow it up, that body just ends up in my arms again. This one time, it happened during a big fight near a car that I already dropped a body in. I ended up just cracking up as my character got annihilated.

Become a Patron!
Back