MSI GeForce RTX 3080 SUPRIM X Video Card Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner.png

Introduction

NVIDIA launched the GeForce RTX 30 Series starting with the GeForce RTX 3080 on September 16th of 2020.  The GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition from NVIDIA debuted at an MSRP of $699.  The GeForce RTX 3080 is based on NVIDIA’s new Ampere GPU architecture and brings with it improved Rasterization performance, improved Ray Tracing performance, and improved DLSS and machine learning/AI performance.  It also adds new features such as GDDR6X, HDMI 2.1 and AV1 support, NVIDIA RTX IO and NVIDIA Reflex, and new capabilities with NVIDIA Broadcast.

Today we have our first custom retail add-in-board partner video card to review based on the GeForce RTX 3080.  We are starting with a high-performance custom SKU from MSI today with the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gr8 yet another card you can't buy. :LOL: :LOL:

This one is very impressive though. Not only it overclocks better than the nvidia RTX3080 its seems to be cooler and quieter.
But for the extra dough I wonder if water cooling would be a better solution.

Very nice OC on that card with significant performance to go with it, good review overall.

I like MSI stuff the more I use them, have two of their motherboards solid as a rock and just plain works out of the box. Anyways the card looks great! Price is stiff but sometimes you get what you pay for. Still at that price the comparison to the 6900 XT might be more appropriate somewhat. Wonder what the 3080 Ti price will be if 3080 AIBs are already pushing $1000?

Yep at 4K, Nvidia has a clearer edge on performance and current RT games. Going though some RT games and using DLSS, mixed feelings so far with both on usefulness overall.

There was something MSI got caught up in (I mean, besides having a truckload of 3090's getting jacked, and their CEO walking off a balcony to his death). I can't seem to recall what it was now though.

Never have used MSI hardware, but I've always heard decent things about it.

There was something MSI got caught up in (I mean, besides having a truckload of 3090's getting jacked, and their CEO walking off a balcony to his death). I can't seem to recall what it was now though.

Never have used MSI hardware, but I've always heard decent things about it.
Just the usual industry stuff. They recently tried to pay off a newer reviewer to withhold publishing a review of one of their laptops after concern with the product were brought to them.

Nice! MSI makes some quality stuff. Now if they were only readily available.

Gorgeous model from MSI, love the look of this GPU. Really was impressed with their lower end products and it’s nice to see that it gets better at the high end.

Great review as usual Brent.

I was thinking this situation also reminds me of something we've all seen for over a decade now. Display tech has been advancing far beyond what most things that can support it for a while. Something that happened with both 1080p and 4K was that with 1080p OTA was the first mainstream means of adoption and then with 4K it was streaming before physical media really took a foothold. During both, from consoles to PC, tech crawled at a snails pace to meet both standards at preferred levels. Now we have 8K which, outside of a few YT vids and such, won't likely have mainstream support for years to come and true(w/o tricks or marketing hype) 8K supporting tech hasn't really even been unveiled. By the time physical media may catch up to it, it might not even exist as their sales have been plummeting which can be seen in this report from The Digital Bits.

Now, as if in parallel, we've seen the race to decrease node sizes for better power and performance. That race has been picking up to such a degree it's nearly become a norm to hear of an annual 1 nm decrease per year for the last 3-5. However, the ability to quickly invent and produce are not the same and we're living a long stretch of unavailable products in virtually every sector of tech now. We've even seen some reversals by manufacturers backtracking to larger nodes just so they can have some shippable product. By the time CPUs, GPUs, and even the latest consoles, become widely available for all who knows what unusable display tech will be around when it does. Granted, COVID, scalpers, and other factors, are at play, but it's still interesting how we have 2 sides of tech with similar results and playing off of their respective strengths and weaknesses.

Become a Patron!
Back