MSI GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 has launched, and today we have a full review of a retail AIB RTX 4080 video card. On our test bench, today is the MSI GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GAMING X TRIO video card based on NVIDIA’s new GeForce RTX 4080 GPU and Ada Lovelace architecture in the GeForce […]

See full article...

It was almost twice as fast as the RTX 3080 Ti but at 10% less power.

Now this is just one result, but it's the one singled out on the summary page where the above statement is also located, and going back to the game benches it looks fairly typical:

In Call of Duty Modern Warfare II the MSI GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GAMING X TRIO was able to provide a smooth and enjoyable gameplay experience at 4K with maximum settings nearing 100FPS. This beat the RTX 3090 Ti by 23% and the RTX 3080 Ti by 39%.

Ok.. 10% less power - check. But 39% isn't anywhere close to twice as fast, is it?

Other than that one bit of math, which I admit I'm not certain I'm correct on even - good writeup. Looks like a great card. I'm still suspect on the pricing but it's definitely bringing the game.

*edit*

Is this graphic correct:
1668523343301.png

The 3080Ti and 4080OC Board Powers are identical, while the 4080 chip draws almost 100W more power? Also curious, the 3080Ti draws less board power than a 3090?

Makes me wonder - what's on the Ampere boards that is causing them to draw so much power aside from the GPU itself? Or is it just bad readouts from GPU-Z or on-board monitoring?

I know GDDR6X is going to use some decent power, but all these cards (except the AMD) are using it to various degrees.

Last edited:
Now this is just one result, but it's the one singled out on the summary page where the above statement is also located, and going back to the game benches it looks fairly typical:

Ok.. 10% less power - check. But 39% isn't anywhere close to twice as fast, is it?

Other than that one bit of math, which I admit I'm not certain I'm correct on even - good writeup. Looks like a great card. I'm still suspect on the pricing but it's definitely bringing the game.

I averaged the performance gain. And the power savings is even more in other games, Cyberpunk 2077 is where the power efficiency was rated, and that was the worst-case scenario, in reality, the power savings in other games over the 3080 is even greater. There are games where it sits under 300W.

I averaged the performance gain.
Just eyeballing it, but even an average gain was somewhere in the 30% range? Not 100%, which would be "double". Nothing hit 100% that I saw compared to the 3080Ti.

How much does it cost????
If you have to ask...

That really is the correct answer to this question. 4090 looks like a better deal, and for some of those AIBs, about the same price.

Just eyeballing it, but even an average gain was somewhere in the 30% range? Not 100%, which would be "double". Nothing hit 100% that I saw compared to the 3080Ti.

I can see how that can be confusing, I think some of that was with DLSS 3 Frame Generation in mind. I've updated the text accordingly in both reviews.

Hmm, I'm dissapointed I can only find 4K benchmarks, and while those have some interest, from other reviews I seen that the 4080 sometimes get's beaten by 3000 series cards at lower resolutions.

Also somewhat dissapointed there are no test results with a 3080 which this card is supposed to replace even if the price would suggest otherwise.

Hmm, I'm dissapointed I can only find 4K benchmarks, and while those have some interest, from other reviews I seen that the 4080 sometimes get's beaten by 3000 series cards at lower resolutions.

Also somewhat dissapointed there are no test results with a 3080 which this card is supposed to replace even if the price would suggest otherwise.
There are some 1440p scores and a comparison with the RTX3080 as well

My Founders Edition review has two pages of 1440p results.

After scanning through this review... this generation of cards I think are actually bringing 4k to the upper tier gaming to be a easily enjoyable experience.

If you have to ask...

That really is the correct answer to this question. 4090 looks like a better deal, and for some of those AIBs, about the same price.
Not so.
This card gives roughly 75% of a 4090 in performance at 4K.
If the card is more than msrp then it is not worth it. May as well buy a 4090.

Not so.
This card gives roughly 75% of a 4090 in performance at 4K.
If the card is more than msrp then it is not worth it. May as well buy a 4090.
Didn't we just say the same thing? :unsure:

ASUS RTX 4080 STRIX OC$145016 GB, GDDR6X, 256-bit

After scanning through this review... this generation of cards I think are actually bringing 4k to the upper tier gaming to be a easily enjoyable experience.
I honestly didn't notice an issue with 4K gaming and my 3090 Ti with everything maxed out, but the 4090 is a lot smoother.

Oofta! With pricing like that who knew you could offer something that makes the top-tier card look appealing? It's a nice card but other than power savings I'm not sure what the incentive to get one over a 4090 would be. I can understand picking it over a 3080/3090/3090 Ti but not a 4090.

I'm still pretty happy with my Hybrid 3090 Ti. For giggles, I ran my OC settings on it on Sunday for a few hours with CP 2077 (Driver 525 and latest 1.61 build), RT med, DLSS performance, and just about everything else completely maxed (sans any post-processing like motion blur which I always turn off completely) and it was holding 60-66 FPS at 4K (2160-2175 MHz), with a max temp ~61c. At its stock settings (2040-2050 MHz), and so quiet, it averages 50-60+, with occasional dips in the high 40s and temps ~50-60c, but still a very enjoyable experience.

I bought the 4080 16GB VENTUS 3X OC from BB, getting it next week.

I'm lazy, and dont feel like upgrading my PSU for a 4090.
I have a SFF setup and when I get a new PSU I'd like it to be 12VHPWR ready. Not many of those around yet.
I'll re-think the 4090 option when the time comes, if needed.

My current rig:

20220525_131842_HDR.jpg

Well, after long considerations, I bought me one of these (white one as iw as the cheapest) so far so good, seems to be running fine, BL3 went from 99fps to 133fps so that's a nice bump (at 3440*1440)

The 4080 has always been a good card. The only thing that it ever really had going against it was the price, which thankfully, is finally dropping. Congrats to you both as I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Well, after long considerations, I bought me one of these (white one as iw as the cheapest) so far so good, seems to be running fine, BL3 went from 99fps to 133fps so that's a nice bump (at 3440*1440)
Out of curiosity and without a want to search the forums. What did you upgrade from? I'm running a 6800xt and on the fence about a 4080.

Become a Patron!
Back