MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE Motherboard Review

Sounds like a nice piece of kit to be honest. But really the price puts it out of the market for me.

Keep in mind to use the higher speed network you will need other components at the higher speed be that 10gib, 5gib, or 2.5gib. A network switch a that speed, and a internet connection probably at least 1gib in order to utilize this Motherboard.

I am sure that there are people out there that have stayed on the very cutting edge of hardware that would love an all in one gaming motherboard solution like this one. And to them this review is awesome. Actually the review is awesome without being in the market.

This just go's to show that we want good solutions and as these types of higher end components trickle down to lower tier parts due to lower cost of manufacturing... we will see them come to market.

Maybe some reviews of current 2.5gib + home network switches/hubs would be good to go with this?

Huh.. I always thought MEG was just a really cheesy movie tie-in

Thanks Dan! Awesome review. I'm not quite ready to jump in that end of the pool but if I did it would be because of this review. I honestly can't say I've ever seen a motherboard come with this much, despite costs. I agree with @Grimlakin that it's more of a kit than just a motherboard. My UD3 felt a bit like that but even still it doesn't even compare. I won't even use a abbreviation with this, it's Godlike pure and simple. If I had the money laying around I'd get it now but that's far from reality for me.

Great ****ing review Dan, thanks. As I've come to expect from your work over these long years. Awesome board that seems to be very well built, but yeah definitely out of the reach of most. Kind of a tough price for me for an HEDT board, let alone a mainstream board. Still, the quality can't be denied. Quality board, quality review, I liked the review more than the board heh. Looking forward to more. Great coverage of X570 and Zen 2 so far guys, keep it up. Lovin' the site. Man, companies have really gone overboard with the RGB these past few years. I was always a UV guy. Miss those DFI boards that came with UV-reactive slots and brackets and whatnot. Wish more companies did that kind of stuff. I still use cold cathode UV lights in my PCs today. Well, this board certainly won't leave you wanting. One would hope. Alas active chipset cooling, we have not seen each other for some time. You are looking well these days.

another nice review .. will you be running your 3900x on your X470 anytime soon for comparison sake ...or throwing a 3700x into the mix when doing future mobo reviews?

another nice review .. will you be running your 3900x on your X470 anytime soon for comparison sake ...or throwing a 3700x into the mix when doing future mobo reviews?

Generally speaking, I only use one processor for motherboard reviews. Essentially, the benchmark numbers aren't really important. The point of them is to ensure the motherboard is performing correctly, and that no issues are encountered during the various workloads. In other words, it isn't about the processor. I typically use whatever the highest end CPU is that I have on hand at any given time for the reviews as they punish the VRM's more than less demanding CPU's.

I will be looking at the 3700X, but that will be for a CPU review, not a motherboard review.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, I only use one processor for motherboard reviews. Essentially, the benchmark numbers aren't really important. The point of them is to ensure the motherboard is performing correctly, and that no issues are encountered during the various workloads. In other words, it isn't about the processor. I typically use whatever the highest end CPU is that I have on hand at any given time for the reviews as they punish the VRM's more than less demanding CPU's.

I will be looking at the 3700X, but that will be for a CPU review, not a motherboard review.
what about a chipset review/comparison? ... or have you already covered that? x370 vs x470 vs x570 .. or a320 vs x570 .. etc .. all with same cpu/memory

I have a good memory, it's just awful short ... :unsure:

what about a chipset review/comparison? ... or have you already covered that? x370 vs x470 vs x570 .. or a320 vs x570 .. etc .. all with same cpu/memory

I have a good memory, it's just awful short ... :unsure:

No, I have not. Essentially, the chipset has nothing to do with performance. It makes little sense to run the same benchmarks on X370, X470 and X570. Once AMD and Intel moved the memory controller into the CPU, the motherboard platform effectively became all about features. There is about 10 years (or more) worth of data to validate this. You see a gamut of results all within 1-3% across an entire generation of motherboards we would review for a specific socket or chipset. This is basically an acceptable margin of error for the tests. Again, there really isn't a point to benchmarking each platform with the same CPU. It won't yield anything we don't already know.

No, I have not. Essentially, the chipset has nothing to do with performance. It makes little sense to run the same benchmarks on X370, X470 and X570. Once AMD and Intel moved the memory controller into the CPU, the motherboard platform effectively became all about features. There is about 10 years (or more) worth of data to validate this. You see a gamut of results all within 1-3% across an entire generation of motherboards we would review for a specific socket or chipset. This is basically an acceptable margin of error for the tests. Again, there really isn't a point to benchmarking each platform with the same CPU. It won't yield anything we don't already know.
Thanks for the response .. good to know and great for those of us using X370 and up chipsets

That is a good point. It only really matters when it comes to issues like PCIE version compatibility. Speaking of, any insight one why some manufacturers are turning off PCIE 4.0 compatibility on generation 4x motherboards where they had previously turned it on?

Here is the quote I found on another site:

Users today may find a PCIe 4.0 option available in their pre-X570 motherboards. However, users should expect this option to be disabled when final retail BIOSes are released to implement full performance and stability for new 3rd Gen Ryzen processors.
As pre-X570 motherboards were not designed with PCIe 4.0 in mind, their designs may be incapable of running PCIe 4.0 signaling with the requisite stability and performance. To ensure a reliable and consistent experience in the field, PCIe 4.0 will not be an option ultimately available to pre-X570 motherboards. Users may continue with a beta BIOS if they desire, but performance and stability cannot be guaranteed.

I don't know why motherboard manufacturers turned it on in the first place. However, I can bet that AMD thought it was a bad idea for most motherboards and is turning it off in AGESA code permanently so that it doesn't cut into X570 sales, nor cause potential problems on X470.

Very nice review! Board is GODLIKE, take some Gold to buy unfortunately. Only fault I can find from the article is the small number of USBs on the back. Vive + 2 mouse + Camera + Keyboard + Mic + USB Stick + Keyboard USB Hub + Monitor Hub - in other words not really enough. I can combine or use Keyboard Hub and/or monitor hub with 2nd mouse and camera but leaves zero slots open anyways on the back. An extra Hub would resolve the issue in the end.

I don't know why motherboard manufacturers turned it on in the first place. However, I can bet that AMD thought it was a bad idea for most motherboards and is turning it off in AGESA code permanently so that it doesn't cut into X570 sales, nor cause potential problems on X470.

Honestly I think they were trying it out. But after it failed to meet spec for PCIE 4.0 they turned it back off. It's just because it's AMD they gave the end users the chance to give it a go with them and do a broader test.

Just thought I'd add an update:

MSI just released BIOS v1.4, which uses AGESA Combo Pi 1.0.0.3ABB. They also re-uploaded all the interim BIOS revisions that were either internal only (version 1.3), or removed from the site for reasons unknown to me such as v1.2.

I believe AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB contains the Destiny 2 and Linux fixes. I'll confirm that when I can.

Become a Patron!
Back