MSI SPATIUM M580 FROZR PCIe Gen 5 SSD Announced with Passive Heatsink Cooler and Up to 14.6 GB/s Speeds

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
MSI has launched the SPATIUM M580 FROZR, a new PCIe Gen 5 SSD that features the state-of-the-art PHISON E26 PCIe Gen 5 controller and "mind-blowing" speeds of up to 14.6 GB/s.

See full article...

Truly fast but man that heatsink, as far as SSD stuff goes, looks taller than a skyscraper and something even Kong might think twice about before climbing.

Most Gen5 M.2 capable slots are in the top one anyway since they need access to direct CPU PCIe lanes.

Truly fast but man that heatsink, as far as SSD stuff goes, looks taller than a skyscraper and something even Kong might think twice about before climbing.
I agree. I do not feel the need to get any of these gen 5 drives due to most having heatsinks like this.

If they want to give me mind blowing something, give me mind blowing latency. MLC or SLC NAND please

If they want to give me mind blowing something, give me mind blowing latency. MLC or SLC NAND please

Of course they can, but you'll pay for it, it's not really cost effective for large capacity MLC drives, and SLC would be outrageous

Of course they can, but you'll pay for it, it's not really cost effective for large capacity MLC drives, and SLC would be outrageous
We can get a 4TB drive Samsung 990 pro TLC drive for less than 350. That should mean we should be able to get a 1.25TB SLC drive for a similar price. Even if SLC commands a 50% markup from TLC, that would put a 1.25TB SLC drive at less than $550. I’d pay that in a heartbeat, and honestly 512GB would be plenty for an OS drive, so we could be talking even less for a very usable size.

Edit. Heck, thinking about it a bit, I’d pay 550 for a 512GB latency optimized 5 microsecond SLC drive. That’s 25 times less latency than typical TLC NAND - enough you’d notice the difference.

Last edited:
We can get a 4TB drive Samsung 990 pro TLC drive for less than 350. That should mean we should be able to get a 1.25TB SLC drive for a similar price. Even if SLC commands a 50% markup from TLC, that would put a 1.25TB SLC drive at less than $550. I’d pay that in a heartbeat, and honestly 512GB would be plenty for an OS drive, so we could be talking even less for a very usable size.
...now account for the cost of getting an additional SKU to vendors and the effects of lower production rates and lower demand.

Maybe a 4x increase in price? Would that be where enterprise SLC drives already land?

More interesting perhaps would be an option to run the drive as an MLC or SLC drive, and further, to be able to partition the drive into SLC and/or MLC sub-drives.

Like hey, give me the 4TB TLC drive but run it as a 2TB TLC drive and a 512GB SLC drive through the firmware (thus represented to the BIOS and OS as such).

...now account for the cost of getting an additional SKU to vendors and the effects of lower production rates and lower demand.

Maybe a 4x increase in price? Would that be where enterprise SLC drives already land?
I can’t imagine the SKU would add that much cost given how things like the WD Raptor series compared to WD blues 15 years ago. But sure, given a 990pro 2TB is sub 200, I could justify paying 600 for a 768GB drive (3x markup)

More interesting perhaps would be an option to run the drive as an MLC or SLC drive, and further, to be able to partition the drive into SLC and/or MLC sub-drives.

Like hey, give me the 4TB TLC drive but run it as a 2TB TLC drive and a 512GB SLC drive through the firmware (thus represented to the BIOS and OS as such).
This would also be at least moderately interesting. It wouldn’t be latency optimized, but hopefully switching a TLC drive to SLC mode would yield a reasonable boost

This would also be at least moderately interesting. It wouldn’t be latency optimized, but hopefully switching a TLC drive to SLC mode would yield a reasonable boost
The hope would be that it could be latency optimized. I'd expect there to need to be a new NAND design implemented to make it possible, but the basic idea is already there with some drives using part of their flash as SLC rather than / in addition to DRAM for their write caches.

Become a Patron!
Back