Multiple Instances of Native ATX 3.0 12VHPWR Power Connectors Melting Have Now Been Reported

Obviously, since I've got a pair of 3090 TI's I've got an interest in this too so I googled melted connectors for them also. I didn't get too deep with it but didn't find anything so the theory about a spike or something different about the power could be on to something. I've already mentioned many times how the corner pin by the sense pins is always one of the ones melted, in every case that I've seen pictures of. I don't know what it is but seems like a major starting point.

Defending my purchase is not something I have ever done and I'm not doing that here. I agree that things could have been done better with the connector, but nothing has been proven that anyone dropped the ball. I guess time will tell.
The mere existence of these burnt connectors is proof that they dropped the ball. I mean why weren't there this many burnt 8 pin connectors or 6 pin connectors? Did users suddenly forget how to plug in a cable? No, the only variable here is the adapter cable.
AMD has never been my go to for cards. Back when they were ATI I used them more. Had a few non driver issues with them (though their drivers weren't great either), and I just didn't look at them any longer. When ATI existed and Omega drivers were a thing those were fun times.
AMD has rebranded and redesigned their drivers so many times but it never actually got better. I have not considered them a serious contender since 2015, mostly due to software compatibility and driver issues. That's not a good place to be in. AMD should work harder to push support for their offerings among software vendors especially in the professional space.

Just putting this here. Not sure if we'll do a story on it but it's the closest thing to an update we've seen in weeks.

The Cablemod right angle adapter should solve most of these issues, but for some reason is till MIA. I signed up to be notified, and so far got to select the kind I need, but no way to order one. I do have the "normal" cable coming from them as well to use with my EVGA PSU. I did order an ATX 3.0 FSP power supply that is on its way, but torn between using that or the Cablemod cable for my existing power supply.
Here you go. I just saw it again this morning.

Just putting this here. Not sure if we'll do a story on it but it's the closest thing to an update we've seen in weeks.

Hopefully there will be a recall on the adapters. By the time this happens either I will have my Cablemod cable in or I will have installed the ATX 3.0 power supply I ordered. Either way they need to step up.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back