New NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Gaming Benchmarks Show What a $999 GPU from 2013 Can Do Today

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The GeForce GTX TITAN is about to celebrate its 11th anniversary soon, and one publication has decided to mark the occasion with new benchmarks that show how well a premium GPU from 2013 might cope with some of today's more popular titles.

See full article...

Ancient tech, were talking stone tablets and a chisel vs a 3d carbon printer. :)

Its nice the GPU is at least functional - I assume 4k is out of the question with only 6gb vram.

Inflation calculator tells me that $1000 in 2011 is 1371.11 today. With a 4090 costing 1599, top tier price has increased 14.3% ahead of inflation. How much have wafer prices increased since 2011 (I’m not going to try to chase that one down).

Edit. Could also say “Titan level of performance has dropped in cost roughly 90%”.

Inflation calculator tells me that $1000 in 2011 is 1371.11 today. With a 4090 costing 1599, top tier price has increased 14.3% ahead of inflation. How much have wafer prices increased since 2011 (I’m not going to try to chase that one down).

Edit. Could also say “Titan level of performance has dropped in cost roughly 90%”.

So... cost per wafer goes up, but so does transistor density. So cost per transistor actually has generally went down. Or well, it did, until it sort of plateaued at 28nm - which is roughly about the same time we soft capped on frequency and started to lose Moore's law on energy efficiency imrpovements per node step.

Cost per wafer goes up, but so does density. So the cost per gate has been about the same for a good while now.

One good metric on consumer chips has been that costs (and subsequently, tiers) across generations would be about the same provided they have the roughly same die size.

The original Titan from this article was a 560mm2 die. The 4090 is 609mm2. Roughly 10% difference.

So that brings me back to this:

Inflation calculator tells me that $1000 in 2011 is 1371.11 today. With a 4090 costing 1599, top tier price has increased 14.3% ahead of inflation.
So ... going through all of that - the 4090 being a larger die, and inflation, and everything else.. I have to concede - you have a very valid point.

But look a bit back at the 3090 Ti. nVidia was on a pretty steep trajectory there with that MSRP ($1,999 - 628mm2). Thankfully they corrected somewhat with the current generation.

It's funny. I was just playing with my old 6GB Titan yesterday. It was serving in my better halfs Fractal Terra build, until I upgraded my stepsons build with a 4070 Super, and stuck his old 2060 Super in her machine, giving my back my Titan :p

It went in my old Ivy Bridge Supermicro (X9DRI-F) Dual Socket Xeon E5-2697v2 testbench/backup workstation.

I decided to put Proxmox on it, and link it to my cluster as a backup VM server, while at the same time sticking two GPU's in it, and forwarding one to a Linux VM and the other to a Windows VM. Windows will get the Titan.

That said, I found out that the Quadro 2000 I was planning on using for the Linux VM doesnt support EFI, so it can't be passed through, so right now the Linux VM is using the Titan, and the Windows CVM has not been set up yet. (I ordered an old Quadro K4000 to use for the Linux VM instead, at which point I will move the Titan to the Windows VM)

In Linux - however - it was fun to queue up the Linux version of the old Unigine Heaven benchmark and have it running on a passed through GPU. Got a pretty decent 80-90fps out of it too.

1708496571093.png

The titan won't hold up in newer titles at all. It runs similarly to an AMD RX480, which just doesn't cut it even at 1080p today. I wonder if I could run Sid Meiers Civ 6 on it at the weirdo resolution of my HP Monitor (1680x1050) Could be a nice little machine for the occasional multiplayer Civ game

Where can I get a 4090 for $1600? Cheapest one is $2000, and that's a recent price change.

Where can I get a 4090 for $1600? Cheapest one is $2000, and that's a recent price change.

I'm with you. I searched around. The only ones I found in the $1600 range were used.

Cheapest I can find new is an Asus TUF Gaming version on Amazon for $1,849.99 in the search page, but then when click on it it doesn't seem like anyone is actually selling it for that price.

Best price I could find for a 4090 in Hungary is $2200 converted to USD.
I also found the 2013 price for a GTX Titan: $1200 in 2013 dollars (roughly $1500 in today's USD)

But the Titan was meme category even back than priced so high nobody could buy it. Just for context my salary in 2013 was about $600.

And now we are trying to normalize prices that are 50% above the meme price? C'mon.

I also found the 2013 price for a GTX Titan: $1200 in 2013 dollars (roughly $1500 in today's USD)

But the Titan was meme category even back than priced so high nobody could buy it. Just for context my salary in 2013 was about $600.

And now we are trying to normalize prices that are 50% above the meme price? C'mon.
When Nvidia control the market they can set the prices to whatever they want. And they sell.

Keep in mind that US prices are quoted pre-sale a tax. I can't speak for Hungary, as I have no personal experience there, but in Europe prices are usually quoted with the sales tax (or VAT) Iinckuded in the total.

In the case of Sweden where Unused to live, that was 25% at the time. (No idea what it is now)

So here in the US all prices are quoted without tax, and then the tax is added to the total at the end of the receipt.

In my case Massachusetts has a 6.25% sales tax, so I know that when I order something from Amazon, I have to take the price listed there, and add 6.25% and that will be my total

If you are not used to this, it can appear to be a pain in the ***, but it also allows you to see the difference the tax makes especially since sales tax differs from state to state here.

Keep in mind that US prices are quoted pre-sale a tax. I can't speak for Hungary, as I have no personal experience there, but in Europe prices are usually quoted with the sales tax (or VAT) Iinckuded in the total.

In the case of Sweden where Unused to live, that was 25% at the time. (No idea what it is now)

So here in the US all prices are quoted without tax, and then the tax is added to the total at the end of the receipt.

In my case Massachusetts has a 6.25% sales tax, so I know that when I order something from Amazon, I have to take the price listed there, and add 6.25% and that will be my total

If you are not used to this, it can appear to be a pain in the ***, but it also allows you to see the difference the tax makes especially since sales tax differs from state to state here.
Case in point Texas is 8.25% sales tax. But no income tax.

Here in Belgium for electronics and luxury products it's 21% VAT food and essentials are 6% and there is an inbetween one of 12%

Oh property taxes are high. And with increasing home values only getting higher.

Yes, tax is included in the price, but I'm not comparing to US prices, I'm comparing the 2013 price of a high end card to the current price. I only convert the amount to USD because the numbers would mean nothing to most people on this forum otherwise.

Completely off topic - but come to California! We have all the taxes you could ever want. State Sales Tax, County Sales Tax, City Sales Tax, Local District Tax, Property Tax, Income Tax, Income Tax even if you aren't a resident and just like spending time here Tax, Carbon Tax, Prop 65 "It causes Cancer" tax, State Gas Taxes, Paint Tax, Lumber Tax, Recycling Boxed Wine Tax, Used Tire Disposal Tax, ...

I could go on for quite a while, and don't forget Tipping!. I would prefer just a static VAT that's just one number no matter where you are (not sure if that's actually the case in Europe or not though). I bet if you add it all up we are paying close to what they do in Europe.

Everything is bigger in California.

Completely off topic - but come to California! We have all the taxes you could ever want. State Sales Tax, County Sales Tax, City Sales Tax, Local District Tax, Property Tax, Income Tax, Income Tax even if you aren't a resident and just like spending time here Tax, Carbon Tax, Prop 65 "It causes Cancer" tax, State Gas Taxes, Paint Tax, Lumber Tax, Recycling Boxed Wine Tax, Used Tire Disposal Tax, ...

I could go on for quite a while, and don't forget Tipping!. I would prefer just a static VAT that's just one number no matter where you are (not sure if that's actually the case in Europe or not though). I bet if you add it all up we are paying close to what they do in Europe.

Everything is bigger in California.
LOL, we have all that and VAT. But I don't think it is relevant how much the taxes are in percentage. All I care about is whether the public sector functions properly or not, and how much is my purchasing power.

LOL, we have all that and VAT. But I don't think it is relevant how much the taxes are in percentage. All I care about is whether the public sector functions properly or not, and how much is my purchasing power.
Yeah, you make a great point. In California, we are funding the high speed rail system that goes nowhere.

Become a Patron!
Back