Nintendo Planning a Longer Life Cycle for Switch Console Line

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Nintendo-Switch-and-Switch-Lite-1024x576.png
Image: Nintendo

Nintendo proved once again with the Switch that they continue to have ideas about new directions for console gaming. Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa recently spent time speaking with investors regarding the company’s future. VideoGamesChronicle has kindly translated this question and answer session.

The Nintendo Switch debuted three years ago. The Switch Lite, a smaller and even more mobile version, followed in 2019. He commented how the original was a different approach from past designs and that the Lite allowed a choice for different lifestyles. New models are in the works. Very recently they announced a...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want the TLDR verstion.
Switches are selling well and after only 3 years are the 3rd best console as far as units sold from nintendo.

If it has a 7 year life cycle like the wii it is expected to easily take first place,especially with a special edition coming out in Japan to commemorate the 3 year milestone.

Makes sense, thing's selling like hot cakes. I'm just curious how the 3rd party scene is going to look once the PS5 and xsx are established.

I think they are going to give up consoles.
Its not what I would like or want...
But think the switch is it as far as consoles.
I don't know if they would venture into creating controls for cellphones to switchify the cellphone experience. I think they might as its a low investment proposal... Other than that, i think they are throwing the towel, moving to mobile, ps, xbox and pc. Maybe they will experiment with pc (i hope) and mobile as i mentioned.

I think they are going to give up consoles.
Its not what I would like or want...
But think the switch is it as far as consoles.
I don't know if they would venture into creating controls for cellphones to switchify the cellphone experience. I think they might as its a low investment proposal... Other than that, i think they are throwing the towel, moving to mobile, ps, xbox and pc. Maybe they will experiment with pc (i hope) and mobile as i mentioned.
It’s not like they’re loosing money. They just don’t want to risk another wii U. They also don’t have enough IP to really push forward. The switch is 3 years old and still sells at the same price it did at release. That’s saying something.

Reactions: _k_
Well, Nintendo's last two generations of handhelds (DS and 3DS) both had around 10 year spans. They all released hardware upgrades along the way, but the generation cycles all lasted around 10 years each.

Become a Patron!
Back