No Man’s Sky Developers Continue to Add Polish and Content Seven Years After Its Release

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
As the topic of the current state of games at launch has been in the spotlight recently, it seems only appropriate to recognize a developer that has gone above and beyond in supporting its game that started on the wrong foot. Hello Games, No Man's Sky developers, have been diligently working on the game since its 2016 launch. Originally the procedurally generated grand space exploration game gained a lot of interest but upon its release, it quickly was criticized for its lack of content and features previously shown at E3 and despite being a commercial success there were a lot of unhappy players.

Since then Hello Games has constantly rolled out updates providing new features, including updating the game to support the constantly evolving GPU landscape, along with adding content, and bug fixes, and releasing it on nearly every platform available.

See full article...

20 years from now iterations of a game will be a thing of its own, like wine. Companies will figure out a market for NFT limited batch iterations of the same game, you know like gaming wine, with years and all. They'll have to contain the entire ability to run said version of the game but this will be figured it out. Ah I can see the streamers staring up the game with un corking sounds and such... And now we are playing No mans sky, the very original version! One of a 1000 collectors edition, this ain't no version 8.546 from 2037, this is the original certified nft by ea ( in the future its only EA) straight from 2015!. Watch the 6 part series!. Copies still available but no many left!
Well why not make this endless development cycle we now suffer, another feature that pays, its about making time pay, more.

To their credit No Mans Sky hasn't charged more for any of that - no DLC or anything. And they have added ~a lot~ since the initial release (which was a dumpster fire), it's a very ambitious game, and after a few patches it pulled off most of it.

I bought it once on PS4 but couldn't get snagged. Next time I catch it on sale I'll probably pick it up for PC just to support the developer and encourage others to act like this as well.

It has become a very good space exploration game. Not perfect but **** good if you're into the exploration/survival game model. The expeditions they do a few time a year are nice 10+ hour adventures that keep bringing me back to it for the last two years.

I need to go back to that game and start over again... Sigh...

I dip my toes in those waters every now and then ... usually after two or three major content updates and with enough time afterward for them to work out most of the major bugs from the latest release. The game content is an ocean wide but a puddle deep. Some people like that. Aside from the recent Mac release, the prior one (Interceptor) captured my attention longer than most ... primarily for the skinner box high when hunting the interceptor ships. But I've since put it back on the shelf until later.

I bought it at release, delved into a for a while but then got bored. I've re-installed it a few times after some of the bigger updates but never really got back into it but I feel like I should.

Still not getting it, maybe if they make a 2nd one and launch it complete iso what? the 10% orso from the first game.

As someone who played NMS for the first time this year, and put a decent number of hours into it these were my takeaways:

- It's on gamepass (at least at time of writing) which is nice
- I remember being surprised when I realized that it was still in active development. I figured I'd waited long enough to play it that 1) perhaps a lot of the negative feedback i remember hearing about years ago had been addressed and 2) it would be in a somewhat 'settled' state with the last update having been delivered years ago. This is not the case and as the parent article has explained, the game has been treated more like an MMO with ongoing development and content to this day.
- Because of the ongoing development unfortunately you need to be very careful when looking up information on the game, because a significant amount of the info will be out of date
- The saving grace for me was the fact that there is an extremely active discord, with helpful people active at pretty much all hours of the day who will answer even the 'silliest' of questions, of which you will have many especially during the first 10-20 hours
- The game itself was very fun to play at first, both intriguing to find out where the story is going and somewhat addictive as you learn the survival / resource management systems, base building and ship travelling components of the game
- My main problem with the game and the reason i didn't continue playing more than i did was this - it makes its 'main story' component out to be a much bigger deal than it actually ends up being. What I realized only too late was that this game follows the minecraft-like formula, where you are supposed to just be able to play without end and enjoy the resource gathering / crafting systems in perpetuity. There are a few goals you can set yourself, such as trying to get one of the more exotic / rare freighter types and upgrading it etc, or finding a rare / fast ship, but ultimately it doesn't lead to anything. I know you can say all games are pointless or something like that, but well the good ones trick you into thinking otherwise and at least can leave you with some satisfaction. I wasn't able to get this from NMS personally. If I knew what I now know about the game, I may not have picked it up... But I will say you can get a couple dozen fun hours from it at least.

Become a Patron!
Back