NVIDIA Accused of Limiting GeForce RTX 30 Series Availability to Inflate Prices

I was like WTF when tech jesus started to rant about how you shouldn't care about not getting a card, and if you do you're stupid. He literally only exists because people do care. But he doesn't want landfills full of 2080ti -s! Oh, wait they go to the second hand market where they compete with the 3060ti and 3070.

He recently started down the ugly path of talking down to his audience. Instead of talking at them.
Most younger TechTubers have no journalistic training/experience is my guess.

The one's that make it for a longer period of time either learn to review/report with no personal agendas injected or become successful thru extreme polarization.

He recently started down the ugly path of talking down to his audience. Instead of talking at them.

The vid he did about the new intel CPU where he was making fun of intel mentioning the competing AMD part so much more then their own was fun for 2 minutes but after that he was beating the dead horse to a pulp it was not funny anymore.

The vid he did about the new intel CPU where he was making fun of intel mentioning the competing AMD part so much more then their own was fun for 2 minutes but after that he was beating the dead horse to a pulp it was not funny anymore.
Dead horses seem to be an issue for many youtubers. I mean they are all worshipers of the algorithm, no matter that the topic only warrants a 2 minute report, they need to pad it to 10 minutes. Zero journalistic integrity, just to get maximal profits for minimal effort.

I was like WTF when tech jesus started to rant about how you shouldn't care about not getting a card, and if you do you're stupid. He literally only exists because people do care. But he doesn't want landfills full of 2080ti -s! Oh, wait they go to the second hand market where they compete with the 3060ti and 3070.

Yeah I've noticed that too. He started out as the nerdiest of the PC nerd YouTubers but his peers have been fawning over him as being super smart and the "in depth guy that uses tech terms only engineers know" and I think it's going to his head. Granted next to Jayz, Linus and the Bitwit guy, he does look pretty smart lol.... Not hating on those guys cause I like their channels too but they're much more fluff than substance.

Getting back to the discussion a bit; I'm finding it a bit hard to swallow the idea that Nvidia artificially limited availability.

There seems to have been some pretty intense demand, as well as other factors like people or organizations running bots, that lead to the initial allocation being snapped up pretty quickly.

I also don't really see how it's in Nvidia's interest to limit availability when the hype was at the max.

I also don't really see how it's in Nvidia's interest to limit availability when the hype was at the max.
Serious? Imagine Nvidia was selling a drug to a user that was jonesing for that drug. Who in the this relationship has the upper hand?

Serious? Imagine Nvidia was selling a drug to a user that was jonesing for that drug. Who in the this relationship has the upper hand?
Unless Nvidia started to charge more, where's the benefit for them in doing so?

Unless Nvidia started to charge more, where's the benefit for them in doing so?
Don't underestimate the power of mindshare, especially if your competitor is also coming out with a new and improved drug at the same time.

Nvidia has 80% of the marketshare in Discreet GPU's, theyre doing allrite as far as mindshare goes no?

Tell that to Intel. Pretty sure Nvidia doesn't want what's happening to Intel to happen to them. It's only a matter of time until AMD catches up in the gpu sphere as Nvidia is busy diversifying their business.

Nvidia's shareholders?

Also I don't get the drug reference at all. I get the connection that you're trying to make but I don't think it really applies.

Tell that to Intel. Pretty sure Nvidia doesn't want what's happening to Intel to happen to them. It's only a matter of time until AMD catches up in the gpu sphere as Nvidia is busy diversifying their business.
What's happening to Intel isn't really related to what could happen to Nvidia, particularly since Intel's main issue is that their manufacturing process improvement stalled for a bit, whereas neither AMD nor Nvidia manufacture their own products.

Especially given that Nvidia is using a Samsung process quite effectively at the moment, which means that they have more than one partner that can manufacture their products and reduces the likelihood that they wind up with new designs that they can't fab and bring to market.

Will you buy a 3080 once more are available or you have something else in mind?

Getting back to the discussion a bit; I'm finding it a bit hard to swallow the idea that Nvidia artificially limited availability.

I don't think it is artificial, so much as it's an intentional near-paper launch. I don't think they are bottlenecking anything artificially, but I do think they launched knowing they wouldn't have nearly enough manufacturing capacity / logistics in place to support it.

What's happening to Intel isn't really related to what could happen to Nvidia, particularly since Intel's main issue is that their manufacturing process improvement stalled for a bit, whereas neither AMD nor Nvidia manufacture their own products.

Especially given that Nvidia is using a Samsung process quite effectively at the moment, which means that they have more than one partner that can manufacture their products and reduces the likelihood that they wind up with new designs that they can't fab and bring to market.
I was referring to mindshare in regards to Intel. They have done a piss poor job of marketing during their troubles. The Nvidia/drug dealer analogy fits just fine. Drug users are hooked on their preferred substance and are easy to manipulate. The same could be said for Nvidia fan bois (or any fan bois for that matter) it's just that the thing they can't live without is high-end gaming. Both populations are niche, captive to their supplier, and will suspend rational thought/action to acquire the thing that gives them their fix.

Will you buy a 3080 once more are available or you have something else in mind?
I would never drop that kind of money on such a quickly depreciating consumer good. That said I do understand that if such a card is used by people to earn a living then by all means, go for it. But if that is the case then the sound business decision would be to wait until AMD releases their cards and compare whose product yields the most return on the investment.

Become a Patron!
Back