NVIDIA Accused of Limiting GeForce RTX 30 Series Availability to Inflate Prices

I was referring to mindshare in regards to Intel. They have done a piss poor job of marketing during their troubles.
They've mostly shut up, which can easily be interpreted as 'poor marketing', but honestly?

Given the narrow usecases where they can actually claim superiority in terms of performance, their current marketing stance seems a bit prudent. Maybe they've decided that it's time to put up or shut up with respect to actually replacing Skylake and their 14nm process.

I still don't really see the relationship between Intel and their troubles relating much to Nvidia; if anything, they apply more to AMD, and I don't really think that AMD has the momentum or even really the potential to challenge Nvidia on even footing. They're simply so far behind in the GPU arena and quite lucky to have been in the right place at the right time with respect to winning console business.

The Nvidia/drug dealer analogy fits just fine. Drug users are hooked on their preferred substance and are easy to manipulate. The same could be said for Nvidia fan bois (or any fan bois for that matter) it's just that the thing they can't live without is high-end gaming. Both populations are niche, captive to their supplier, and will suspend rational thought/action to acquire the thing that gives them their fix.
There's always going to be these people. I've been accused of being a fanboi or even a shill for all of the major companies at one time or another, and I also find arguments for a company or product line or even a specific release that are based on ephemeral claims or claims on 'faith' to be pretty weak.

All we have on Nvidia right now is that their first batch of a new product got snapped up even faster than usual. Given the performance and price involved, and their relationship to the preceding generation, I don't see anything provably out of order.

MLID has gotten a boatload of hate for what is ultimately a lot of speculation on his behalf regarding the root cause of why the availability is so poor. Ultimately, speculation or not, a lot of the things he predicted are congruent with the current availability situation. The availability IS poor, and the rise in prices directly from AIB partners has played out as he predicted. The only thing that remains to be seen is how long it will last. If Nvidia floods channels with FEs, then he was either wrong, or their plan worked TOO well and they had to course correct.

MLID has gotten a boatload of hate for what is ultimately a lot of speculation on his behalf regarding the root cause of why the availability is so poor. Ultimately, speculation or not, a lot of the things he predicted are congruent with the current availability situation. The availability IS poor, and the rise in prices directly from AIB partners has played out as he predicted. The only thing that remains to be seen is how long it will last. If Nvidia floods channels with FEs, then he was either wrong, or their plan worked TOO well and they had to course correct.
The rise in prices is on the retailers, not the manufacturers.

The advantage to being a doomsayer is you can say you were right no matter the outcome. A master in doomsaying will have all their scenarios covered by believable coincidences, so much so that even if and when actual facts come out nobody will believe them. Happens all the time in nearly every subject field out there.

I’m not sure he understands supply and demand if he’s saying they have a demand issue in that it currently exceeds supply. That’s called a supply issue.

I think what he means by that is that they are still making (supposedly anyways) boatloads of cards so there is "supply" just not enough to fill demand.

No supply would mean something like intel 10 nm desktop parts, it's mostly semantics, but what does he care, he's making money

I can't believe people believe this nonsense. NVIDIA is not artificially limiting stock to inflate prices. Retail and etailers are still selling these cards for MSRP. That's also not the price that companies pay distributors, nor what distributors pay to NVIDIA or other manufacturers to get the cards. NVIDIA limiting stock wouldn't make any sense given that prices haven't increased. It's only the scalpers that are increasing prices on the cards they bought at MSRP.

In other words, the overhead the scalpers are charging doesn't go to NVIDIA in anyway shape or form. The premise of this idea is basically retarded. Now, what an artificial limitation of stock could potentially do is increase hype surrounding the product. That too could work against NVIDIA as we are now close enough to AMD's announcement concerning Big Navi that sales may be lost as people decide to wait and inevitably go with AMD solutions. While this probably won't effect 3080 or 3090 sales, it absolutely defers or costs potential sales of 3070's, which was delayed to build additional stock.

Of course, a lack of 3080 or 3090 stock might cost NVIDIA big time if AMD actually manages to deliver a competitive Big Navi, although I seriously doubt that will be the case. Basically the premise of this thread is probably way off the mark. NVIDIA doesn't benefit from limiting stock right now. Anyway it might benefit is offset by the negatives of not having product right now.

I don't think many people are saying that nVidia could be making more cards but is choosing not to.

I think it's more that nVidia knew they could only make so many cards now, that number is pretty low, and decided to launch before they had what most would call reasonable manufacturing capability to support the demand.

Without knowing exactly how many cards are being shipped out each week it's hard to say. nVidia is tight lipped, you get a bit of back of the envelope data from the AIBs every now and then.

Nvidia is running low on stock:
Gamer: NGREEEDIA!!! INFLATING $$$$ (choking noises)

Nvidia does not raise prices:
Gamer: NGREEEDIA!!! TOO EXPENSIVE NO REAL PERFORMANCE INCREASE (choking noises)

Nvidia gets stock up to demand:
Gamer: I just got mine, you ppl need to stop complaining so much (soft humming)

I don't think many people are saying that nVidia could be making more cards but is choosing not to.

I think it's more that nVidia knew they could only make so many cards now, that number is pretty low, and decided to launch before they had what most would call reasonable manufacturing capability to support the demand.

Without knowing exactly how many cards are being shipped out each week it's hard to say. nVidia is tight lipped, you get a bit of back of the envelope data from the AIBs every now and then.

It's simply that demand is way higher than expected. Just like that. No conspiracies here.

And many people just jumped on the bandwagon, I bet many of the people complaining didn't even want to get one.

And whay are people surprised? this happens with EVERY next gen video card release, be it AMD or nividia.

If I was to believe in any kind of conspiracy with all this it'd be more along the lines that if they had reliable info regarding when AMD was going to launch theirs, if they knew there'd be real competition at 3080 or below, and if they didn't want to missout on huge sales, and then decided to risk the backlash by rushing a release date knowing that they truly couldn't meet demands. There's a lot of ifs in that thought so I don't really believe it.

You can't miss out on huge sales if you have no inventory to sell.

Now there is a good chance they sold a lot more cards then I think they did (which is not hard) especially in the US. I realy wish I had some info about the European situation with these cards. Most of the manufacturers websites link to etailers that half the time don't even sell their stuff anymore if the links still work at all, and the etailers I usually visit (and that also are mentioned on the nvidia site) have no info other then coming soon either.

You can't miss out on huge sales if you have no inventory to sell.
My point was a theoretical bluff. What if they knew they had no cards to sell but wanted to make a move to delay would-be buyers from getting AMD if AMD did have them en masse first? As I said, I don't really believe it but we all know that both of them play an interesting game of poker when it comes to releases.

If I was to believe in any kind of conspiracy with all this it'd be more along the lines that if they had reliable info regarding when AMD was going to launch theirs, if they knew there'd be real competition at 3080 or below, and if they didn't want to missout on huge sales, and then decided to risk the backlash by rushing a release date knowing that they truly couldn't meet demands. There's a lot of ifs in that thought so I don't really believe it.

There is probably some truth to this. NVIDIA almost certainly knew what the release date for Big Navi was going to be and wanted to beat them to the punch. You can be sure that NVIDIA had some idea what the demand for the 30 series might be, and wanted to get it out there and get some sales ahead of Big Navi. I have a feeling, while NVIDIA may have sold an *** load of GPU's, they probably didn't sell as many as they've made it out to be.

There are always a crap load of variables involved in these things. More often than not, variables that are only known internally to the company in question.

while NVIDIA may have sold an *** load of GPU's, they probably didn't sell as many as they've made it out to be.
Given that there's no stock available, I'd say they actually sold many more than expected.

Historically, sales for next gen cards remain flat for the first few months, as demand is met. Then it turns into a curve.

BTW while the "logical" thing to do is "just build more cards", its actually not that easy, even if the manufacturer has enough capacity. nvidia has a contract with Samsung for a certain volume of chips during a certain period of time. The problem may not be increasing the volume, but decreasing it.

Lets say nvidia builds more chips to meet demand and has enough capacity to keep it till the end of the year, then Big Navi comes out, it dethrones nvidia and suddenly demand drops and you are stuck with a huge inventory.

What do you think nvidia would prefer? selling every chip it builds or getting stuck with inventory.

Given that there's no stock available, I'd say they actually sold many more than expected.
Part of the thing that lends itself to my little consiparcy theory is the lack of reviews on BB, Amazon, and NewEgg for all 3080 models and some 3090's. We all know how much people love to brag about their new purchases. It's a part of the social networking mentality. Who can't say they've seen the many "I can play all my games at max" pasted all over a thread somewhere? I've been monitoring it for the last three weeks. Even today if you were to add all three together, w/o trying to filter obvious fakes, it might not even exceed 200 right now. That, too me, seems pretty odd nearly a month after release given all these statements about how much they've sold. Considering those 3 outlets service the entire US it seems like those review numbers should be much higher already.

Part of the thing that lends itself to my little consiparcy theory is the lack of reviews on BB, Amazon, and NewEgg for all 3080 models and some 3090's. We all know how much people love to brag about their new purchases. It's a part of the social networking mentality. Who can't say they've seen the many "I can play all my games at max" pasted all over a thread somewhere? I've been monitoring it for the last three weeks. Even today if you were to add all three together, w/o trying to filter obvious fakes, it might not even exceed 200 right now. That, too me, seems pretty odd nearly a month after release given all these statements about how much they've sold. Considering those 3 outlets service the entire US it seems like those review numbers should be much higher already.
Didn't think about that, not sure if that would be a valid concern, but something to keep in mind I guess.

I do have seen youtube videos and facebook/reddit posts by RTX3080 owners, so there's that.

Become a Patron!
Back