NVIDIA Accused of Limiting GeForce RTX 30 Series Availability to Inflate Prices

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

Moore’s Law Is Dead has published an article that makes some serious allegations against NVIDIA. The leaker claims that green team’s beautiful Founders Editions, which feature an expensive, cutting-edge cooler, are only reasonably priced because the company never intended to make or sell many of them. This is “scarcity by design,” Moore’s wrote, alleging that their primary purpose is to serve as golden samples that ensure glowing initial reviews, which, in turn, would pump up Ampere interest to a fever pitch and worsen an already lukewarm supply situation, allowing NVIDIA to indirectly increase GeForce RTX 30 Series pricing.

“…I think this is Nvidia’s Ultimate Play: Intentionally causing an initial dearth of Ampere stock, allowing ‘supply and demand’ to inflate the street price of...

Continue reading...

"Big company bad."

These people need to find a new routine. NVIDIA have no control over the resale market. It's the consumer who is an idiot if they immediately go to eBay or third-party sellers and buy one at double the price. Besides, NVIDIA sees none of that extra money.

Why anyone gives Moore's Law is Dead any attention is beyond me. There's a reason he has less than 100k subscribers on youtube. His understanding of hardware is flawed, his theories are baseless, he accuses other YouTubers of being unethical with no evidence, and he's wholly biased towards AMD.

He's basically the q anon of PC hardware.

Why anyone gives Moore's Law is Dead any attention is beyond me. There's a reason he has less than 100k subscribers on youtube. His understanding of hardware is flawed, his theories are baseless, he accuses other YouTubers of being unethical with no evidence, and he's wholly biased towards AMD.

He's basically the q anon of PC hardware.
Isn't he the one who started the "DLSS 3.0" and ray tracing add-in card rumors?

Isn't he the one who started the "DLSS 3.0" and ray tracing add-in card rumors?
That was Coreteks, but he accepts he could be wrong and at least can laugh at himself. Tom (MLID) is too desperate to be a YT star and is a bit full of himself.

Took the words right out of my mouth. They could not have found a worse source for this "insider" information he always claims to have.

I'd say take it all with a grain of salt. Some serious allegations for sure but regardless we don't have the whole picture. I will say, after clicking on that Techspot link, and seeing a Strix 3090 with $1700 listed in the following paragraph, that some people are ignorantly jumping on this train. Strix models always go for a higher price. From a custom PCB, improved cooling, and in my experience some nicely binned chips, they typically are the best of the air cooled cards. I paid $1499 + tax for the 2080 Ti model when NV was selling FE's for $999(if you could find them then). I already expected them to be around $1700 this time around and didn't need moore, or anyone else, to guess it. Some AIB's simply use better solutions hence the markups. It's when you know what their price is vs what resellers are marking up that I get concerned.

Moores Law is Dead just started his channel a little over a year ago. Already he gots almost 100,000 subs. I know channel's that been up for 10 years and barely broke 50,000. His channel is gaining steam because of the podcast on other streaming services. Also, his main contact he now uses worked at one of the AIB's for years now and the info he has given has proven accurate. Don't get me wrong, i'm not defending Smoore's or his channel. Dude is an ass____ but, he brings to light, some really interesting points and has one of the top rated podcasts out right now. The extent of his PC hardware background goes back only to the ATi 7950 and 7990 days. If anyone wants to judge someone by there PC building or software engineering chops then i'm the Albert Einstein of PC hardware and tech reviews. Though, i never claimed it. Gotta give credit where credit is do. I never take anyone's word for guaranteed but my own. I been around since the Pentium MMX days where overclocking required changing jumper pins on the motherboard. I also was all intel and nVIDIA. When Turing arrived i strait jumped ship and bought AMD GPU's. There prices were kind of crazy eben though, i ended up paying the nVIDIA tax. All the games i played were running exceptionally well on VEGA 64 and i was heavy into 3DCAD and 3Dmodeling with games and level design. The compute capabilities of VEGA are still very good. About a year ago i found the RADEON VII for $325 so i got one. Put a Morpeus II Core Edition GPU cooler on it with some Vardars and i got extremely quiet 7nm VEGA 60cu card. Kept my 8700K and 9900K Gaming and Editing rigs cause there is no need to upgrade. My 5.3GHz 8700K can handle a 2080ti FTW3 Ultra -87 that runs at 2.2GHz with the Vram at 16Gbps. A friend at the local Micro Center told me about this $1500 2080ti FTW3 that was only a $1,000 and while i was there a 55in LG C9 OLED also came across the floor for a cool $1,000. The TV alone with its immaculate picture quality was worth $1,500, so getting one of the best 2080ti's for me was like paying $500 with the 55in OLED 4K120/G-SYNC only made sence. For the past year i've been gaming on a 55in OLED at 1440p Upscaled to 4K which looks better than native 4K on any LED/LCD IPS TV. Also at 120Hz. I'll be keeping my 2080ti FTW3 Ultra and G-SYNC OLED thank you, and might jump to a 3080 or 3090 when the time requires it but, i have 3 very capable GPU's right now with 2 completed Gaming/Editing system's to go along with them. Wang in his leather panties won't convince me to buy his BPPGPU anytime soon.

I think he'll be proven right in short order.
MSRP should mean something though... I do get some deviation and yes it was already deviated with the 20 series but if we see even more deviation, that ain't right and it would be getting into the ridiculous territory. Guess what though, another opportunity of attack and marketing for AMD.

Dude is an absolute joke and these websites who quote and reference him have about 1 more month and if they don't write him off completely I'm done with them.

Anyone stupid enough to publish this crap is too stupid for me to trust with anything else.

It becomes hard to say he says so much and gets quoted by others as sources even though he's claiming "sources" and those sources say "sources" and then you find out their "sources" was the first guy to begin with.

Whole bunch of idiotic half a** reporting going on.

I'm very much another you been around since monochrome monitors and compuserve and AOL as the only real sources of internet my first build was a pII but I had a radeon all-in-wonder and I stayed radeon for most of the first decade of the millenia but by 2012 u had to jump ship needed max performance and only Nvidia could offer always ready to go back but every time I had a new upgrade from Nvidia amd had no response worth my time.

I have stayed Intel though for cpu as gaming is priority #1 and no amount of productivity performance makes up for lower fps to me. 10900k 5.2ghz all core @1.32v only 63c on air (nh-15s) I can't wait to get it under my custom loop but I'm waiting for 3090 before I start bending tubes.

I too also have a c9 which I picked up 13 months ago but it's a 65" and I too have been really enjoying 1440p/120 gaming in it (and can't wait to finally see real 4k/120 but not sure how much better it could be!)

We are very similar in regards to our history and a lot of our tastes so I respect you for a level headed response.

But I must say I think a lot differently than you about Tom (MLID) I think the guy is a joke who has a full biased opinion he tries to pass off as objectionable reporting he claims sources which I do not believe he has (he may have the one you speak of and maybe in the past they were used for some confirmed information) but as of late he spreads nothing but FUD against Nvidia and has only gotten information correct that others had already predicted before him. Much of what he said 6-12 months ago never came to be and he only tweaked his "predictions" the closer we got to launch and the more actual info was out there for him to spin.

The dudes a joke and he deserves no attention whatsoever but he's backing the common man's bias of the day and that's to think amd is king and your best friend doing God's work against the big bad Nvidia and Intel.
. He speaks to these people and the enjoy the confirmation bias he provides on their opinions. He's a leader of an echo chamber and nothing more and the more he gets wrong the less he's "proven" the more outlandish his predictions he's ran out of architectural attacks and lies now he's trying to attack the business side.

He's a joke and honestly as someone who always wanted amd to come back out on top and has said would switch in a heartbeat if they ever got the crown again. Him and people who follow him and spew his nonsense out in public forums makes me not even want to go back even if the were the besg I wouldn't want to give people like him the satisfaction.

He's terrible for amd's image he and other like him are making amd's die hard start to look a little stupid.

It's why people like Steve with gamers nexus have to keep Makin correction videos trying to correct long misunderstood "facts" about amd / ryzen / radeon.

No hate to anyone who likes or uses amd I just can't stand the fanboys and the delusional swindlers who get the riled up.

How is a product that stays popular and sold out (though that when it does come in stock is still msrp) count as anything but a hot product?

I tracked the $999 evga 2080ti black for the better part of a year and though it sold out constantly evga never once asked more than its $999 msrp.

Trying to say aib are responsible for scalpers taking advantage of a hot product is total bs.

He's literally just saying the cards will be super desired the stock won't be able to keep up to always have one for sale when they come in stock they'll sell out again and again and because of this scalpers will keep trying to grab the popular models to sell on eBay or elsewhere for profit.

None of this is any different than anything of limited qty and high demand.

He's trying to spin their popularity Into some kind of Conspiracy.... Lol

What a joke!

The cards will be there if you know how to get hit products you'll easily be able to get one in time and not have to to go to scalpers / 3rd party sellers trying to profit.

The aib can't control inventory once it's been bought from their channels but I don't suspect cards will go for anymore than their msrp from any reputable seller.

I honestly don't care I'll have a 3080 this week and a 3090 next and then I won't have to think about it again I'll just be enjoying the best in Gamo g we will see for the next couple years.

The 10900K only has an appreciable performance boost to an AMD chip at 1080p. If you play at 1440p like you say the difference is only about 5fps at most and on average only 1-3fps being totally inperceiveable in gameplay. There is no point in wasting more money on Intel over AMD especially if you give up PCIE 4.0 and the ability to upgrade to the likepy superior to coffee lake Zen 3. I still just upgraded my 8700K to a 9900K because I don't intend on replacing my motherboard yet but AMD is just the better option for a new build period.

As for Moores Law Is Dead, yeah he's an *** that's totally full of himself. That being said his rumors so far have been spot on and he tends to do a better job at breaking them down than people like redgamingtech. He also works in the manufacturing industry so he knows how xost and profit margins are calculated so his prices have also been fairly close even from just guesses.

It those who think he's just an AMD shill, he was the first to say Nvidia intends on making DLSS work in all games by driver command similar to things like sharpening, he constantly says PC won't compete with the PS5's compression system, he has straight said he expects AMD to drastically raise prices for Zen 3, he constantly makes fun of Vega as a failure and Polaris for being over hyped but just okay and the fact the 480 got refreshed twice, etc. He's really not some apologist like people claim him to be. More I'd say he just makes shots at Nvidia constantly as they are the company everyone looks at and hates in the PC market. Intel is a jole right now and AMD took 4 years to catch up to Intel not even improving, and here's Nvidia rebranding freesync, forcing AIBs to change GPU names or lose them as a supplier, buying Arm which totally isn't a red flag with Nvidia making everything proprietary, they added AI processor cores on gaming chips wasting gaming performance just so they could sell cut down quadros to gamers when all of it could have been done on cuda cores, etc. Nvidia is just an asinine company. We just have to deal with it as AMD doesn't compete well with them.

Its weird how 'tech tubers' bring in the attacks to any thread... This happens with any tech tuber really, I guess different people attack different tubers...
Just weird and a little funny though some comments read a little bit harsh.. its not like he murders puppies or something.
There is nothing " wrong" with moore's law is dead... Speculation and leaks is the game... Thats all, have fun with it is my view anyway

All I'm going to say:

You almost** never hear about shortages with mid/lower tier products. 1660, 1070, 970, AMD 580, etc.

Using your favorite hardware survey, these vastly outnumber the top-tier product installs. But, for some reason, it's always the top tier products that get caught up in these "shortages".

You can say: the dies are less complicated, so easier to mass produce. True. Maybe that's all their is to it... but I kinda doubt it. I can certainly point to bleeding edge memory use (GDDR5X for the 1080, it will be 6X for the 3080). And maybe there are other very valid manufacturing reasons production can't keep up.

But it isn't really the fact that these things are just flying off the shelves that poor nVidia just can't keep up with the demand. It's always some other constraint, but it gets spun that way, so marketing can lean heavily on FOMO to get you to pre-order, or reserve, regardless of whatever the price may be, even if it's jacked up past MSRP. Sure, nVidia may not see that extra revenue, but don't think for a minute they don't absolutely benefit from it anyway.

Not being able to have manufacturing capability is not necessarily the same thing as extraordinary consumer demand, unless you just want to believe the marketing. I think the manufacturing capability is purposely bottlenecked, just to keep that elite sheen on the halo products. Just enough get out so reviewers, influencers, and those with deep pockets can get their hands on them. And they will glow like none other. And that makes everyone else really really want them.... knowing that they settle for a lower tier brand-named component instead.

**I will caveat this, because a crypto bubble throws all the normal rules out the window, and there have been periods where GPUs in general were impossible to get because of mining.

Hey! I'm pretty new to this kind of stuff and was wondering if you could give me any tips on how to get one of these in time? I have some experience with trying to get shoes before selling out but never anything like this. If you could give me any insight it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey! I'm pretty new to this kind of stuff and was wondering if you could give me any tips on how to get one of these in time? I have some experience with trying to get shoes before selling out but never anything like this. If you could give me any insight it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

So, what we know is that the on sale date/time is Thursday at 9am ET/6am PT. Some stores will have them posted right away (most likely nvidia direct and newegg), others are sporadic/take their time (Amazon). It's an exercise of having all your browser windows open and operating that F5 key if stock is as low as has been rumored.

Become a Patron!
Back