NVIDIA Announces GPUs Dedicated to Cryptomining, Limits ETH Mining Efficiency of GeForce RTX 3060 by 50 Percent

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-cryptocurrency-mining-processor-gpu-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA has announced that it will be doing gamers a solid by halving the cryptocurrency mining efficiency of its GeForce RTX 3060 graphics cards by around 50 percent. Green team revealed the blow to cryptominers in a press release published this morning, which also included the announcement of a new GPU series designed specifically for mining purposes: the NVIDIA CMP (Cryptocurrency Mining Processor). This lineup features an optimized design that allows users to mine more efficiently and recoup their mining investments faster.

“With the launch of GeForce RTX 3060 on Feb. 25, we’re taking an important step to help ensure GeForce GPUs end up in the hands of gamers,” NVIDIA...

Continue reading...

I guess there might paliate the mining craze on the RTX3060, but there are still scalpers to deal with.

That still leaves all the other cards out there.....meh.
Also if it's a software thing, some smart guy has probably figured a work-around.

I agree......THIS CHANGES NOTHING!!

A 3060 is not an upgrade for me, but then this from a company that thinks that this is a good time to unload 1050's, while MSRP goes out the window on the real cards that are desired.

Yep like others have said, if it's just a driver tweak seems like easy workarounds.

To think nvidia actually had to tweak their drivers so they could mine ETH. I remember nvidia sucked big time on eth with Pascal.

A dedicated mining line up would be amazing for the market.
Somehow I have my doubts we will see it come to fruition but fingers are crossed.

it didn't help much in the pascal days

It's because there was no benefit to buying the mining only card. Not when you can buy a gaming card, mine with it, then resell it. And they didn't produce enough of the mining only cards to really make a difference.

Now, if they could use up their not-so-perfect ampere dies, cut the GPU clock speed, throw some faster RAM on it, shroudless with good fans, no bling at all for a good bit less money than a gaming card they'd have something.

It's because there was no benefit to buying the mining only card. Not when you can buy a gaming card, mine with it, then resell it. And they didn't produce enough of the mining only cards to really make a difference.

Now, if they could use up their not-so-perfect ampere dies, cut the GPU clock speed, throw some faster RAM on it, shroudless with good fans, no bling at all for a good bit less money than a gaming card they'd have something.
what? no RGB? who's gonna buy that? :LOL: :LOL: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IIRC the PASCAL dedicated mining cards were stripped down teslas

IIRC the PASCAL dedicated mining cards were stripped down teslas
Which are... hopped up Geforce cards?

Most Nvidia dies wind up in all three of their product lines I believe. May have changed more recently and I know that some high-end dies only make it to some product lines.

A dedicated mining line up would be amazing for the market.
Somehow I have my doubts we will see it come to fruition but fingers are crossed.
For all the reasons that @Riccochet mentioned above, yes!

I'm more than happy if Nvidia (and anyone else) can produce mining-specific parts that are otherwise unusable. Everyone literally wins.

A 3060 is not an upgrade for me, but then this from a company that thinks that this is a good time to unload 1050's, while MSRP goes out the window on the real cards that are desired.
It's been discussed elsewhere, but the basic point is that when even the lowest of the low-end cards are being snapped up and seeing both retail price spikes and limited availability, any stock at any performance level is good.

Yes, Nvidia could do well to increase stock of faster parts, but given the global constraints that everyone in the business is facing, I get that that's not very easy to do. And I don't expect that they'd intentionally leave money on the table at this scale. They've played plenty of pricing games in the past, and been nothing if not successful in raising the price that their customers are willing to pay, but this situation seems to be at an entirely different scale.

Become a Patron!
Back