NVIDIA Could Be Reviving the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-key-visual-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

The next graphics card that NVIDIA is reviving in response to the agonizing GPU shortage might be 2017’s flagship, Titanium-charged Pascal model, the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti. This rumor stems from a user on South Korea’s Quasar Zone, who recently sent an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC for RMA and ended up receiving a replacement that was purportedly produced in 2021. NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is still a thoroughly capable card for users who are content with 1440p gaming, so its return should be pretty exciting if true.

Update : product is EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC— 포시포시 (@harukaze5719) April 4, 2021

We will have to wait to see what will end up happening, since the most interesting of all would be to relaunch the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti than the GeForce GTX 1650...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
At what price tho?
Yup that's the biggest question. I have several machines where a 1080Ti would be a nice upgrade. But not a "throw stupid amounts of money at it" upgrade.

I can't imagine it would be deeply discounted - it's probably still on the same 16nm process and that was a big die (471 mm2) - and that's what tends to drive prices as much as anything. That's roughly the same size as the 2070 and a bit bigger than the 3060Ti / 3070 - so those MSRPs are probably the ballpark we'd be looking at -- less than the original $700 MSRP the card had, but probably north of $400.

Might just be for warranty / RMA purposes. Why would Nvidia lower their 3xxx yields to make more 1080ti's? Unless they have a warehouse full of the GPU chips somewhere already. And who knows, they might.

The 1030 makes more "sense" because it fills a low end, inexpensive category that was missing.

Might just be for warranty / RMA purposes. Why would Nvidia lower their 3xxx yields to make more 1080ti's? Unless they have a warehouse full of the GPU chips somewhere already. And who knows, they might.

The 1030 makes more "sense" because it fills a low end, inexpensive category that was missing.
1080Ti chips have nothing to do with 3000 series production. Different process nodes at different fab companies. 1080Ti doesn't even use the same memory as any of the 3000 series.

I still use the 1080ti in my 6700K based browsing PC for some games.
For example it runs Farcry New Dawn, AC Odyssey etc at 5120x1440 res (UW effective 2x 1440p screens) like a champ.
Recently started Mafia II Definitive Edition which runs great as well.
Its still a decent card.

This saves powering up my gaming PC (10700K + 3090) which sees a lot less use than I imagined.

1617738284171.png

It's like it is March 2017 all over again.

4 years have passed, and the best most people can buy will - based on availability - be a 1080 ti.

Jesus christ. I might just be done with this ****. I'll pick up another hobby. Maybe gardening. At least they won't run out of plants.

I got brand-new 1080 Ti in 2019 for $430 (I had been considering a 2070 Super and a 5700 XT) and that's been working out great for me at 1440p. Just gonna sit on this thing for a good while until the PC market returns to sanity. Maybe the next generation of GPUs will have something for me, that I can actually get at f*cking MSRP without having to first scour the ends of the Earth. All this talk about bringing back older cards over the past few months, and I kept thinking the 1080 Ti would be a good candidate for that. The price has to be right though.

I guess now is the right time to sell my 1080ti for $800! I think I got a 730 laying around here somewhere, LOL. I kick myself for not keeping the old 680 as a backup. Lol I sold my 1070 to a friend for $200 a couple years ago, I could get double for it now. Funny how time works.

I guess now is the right time to sell my 1080ti for $800! I think I got a 730 laying around here somewhere, LOL. I kick myself for not keeping the old 680 as a backup. Lol I sold my 1070 to a friend for $200 a couple years ago, I could get double for it now. Funny how time works.
I've got a 780 and a 640 somewhere. . .

View attachment 976

It's like it is March 2017 all over again.

4 years have passed, and the best most people can buy will - based on availability - be a 1080 ti.

Jesus christ. I might just be done with this ****. I'll pick up another hobby. Maybe gardening. At least they won't run out of plants.
Don't plant the chinese seeds!

1080ti remake at the right price would be a grand idea, as it’s basically a 3060ti without RTX. I wonder if they could even tweak it a little for rerelease and pickup a little extra performance. A 1080ti Ultra ? :D

Releasing old cards with no RTX features. Just means RTX is dead. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

<sigh>

Re-buying old stuff at premium. Welcome to retro-building.

I might as well fire up the BP-6 with an AIW 9800 pro..... Yes, I have both of those and it seems the cheaper route to go at this point.

You'd think, that the 1080 ti would go for less than the 3060 ti, but we all know otherwise. As much as I hate it, I will hold out. I will not purchase a 1080 ti at more than I got my original one for, and that too was just after a stupid mining craze. $590 for a new card and no way would I either buy, or sell a 1080 ti for more than that.

I see 2060 supers going for over $700. So where does that put the 1080 ti, that is IF this is even remotely true?

Ridiculous

Become a Patron!
Back