NVIDIA Demonstrates DLSS Performance in Square Enix’s Outriders

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
outriders-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Square Enix

NVIDIA has shared benchmarks demonstrating what kind of performance improvements GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards owners can expect when DLSS is enabled in People Can Fly and Square Enix’s new cooperative role-playing third-person action game, Outriders. According to green team’s in-house metrics, GeForce RTX 3090 and GeForce RTX 3080 users can enjoy frame rates of up to 122 and 107 FPS in 4K/Max Settings with DLSS Performance Mode on, respectively. The GeForce RTX 3060 and GeForce RTX 2060 are still incapable of running the game at 60 FPS even with DLSS enabled in 4K/Max Settings, however.

Continue reading...

I bet I would get pretty good performance too if I just upscaled 1080 to 4K

Pretty cool and looks fine, UE4 with the DLSS plug in adds longevity to a lot of RTX2K cards and with the current GPU drought that is a good thing.

DLSS performance mode is too blurry for my taste, it looks no different from regular upscaling except for the AA.

I guess nvidia is trying to counter AMDs upcoming SuperResolution which apparently should be comparable to DLSS performance mode on IQ/perf.

DLSS performance mode is too blurry for my taste, it looks no different from regular upscaling except for the AA.
I haven't seen it in person, and I know enough to know that Youtube videos and still screenshots won't tell the story.

But I keep hearing from Team Green is that DLSS is somehow, magically, better than native resolution. I absolutely cannot believe it though.

I haven't seen it in person, and I know enough to know that Youtube videos and still screenshots won't tell the story.

But I keep hearing from Team Green is that DLSS is somehow, magically, better than native resolution. I absolutely cannot believe it though.

DLSS has a few modes.

There's quality mode, which can give better than native resolution and depending on the game about 40~60% performance improvement.
Then comes mixed mode which depending on the game looks about as good as quality mode and somewhat faster.
Next comes performance mode the one advertised here, which can look quite blurry, somewhat like DLSS 1.0 but with >80% performance improvement.
Finally ultra performance mode is intended for 8k

I've done a lot of DLSS testing on my rigs and various displays. If you're close enough to the screen you can absolutely see a drop in IQ. However, when I sit back around 6+ feet from a 65" screen(C9 or Z9D) it's pretty hard to see the difference and the performance gains are well worth it IMHO. That being said it should only really be used at 4K because anything less and the IQ drops considerably unless the game lets you pick the render resolution and even then I'd say it's debatable. When I've tested at 1440p or 1080p I really didn't like it but at 4K things were not so bad.

I've done a lot of DLSS testing on my rigs and various displays. If you're close enough to the screen you can absolutely see a drop in IQ. However, when I sit back around 6+ feet from a 65" screen(C9 or Z9D) it's pretty hard to see the difference and the performance gains are well worth it IMHO. That being said it should only really be used at 4K because anything less and the IQ drops considerably unless the game lets you pick the render resolution and even then I'd say it's debatable. When I've tested at 1440p or 1080p I really didn't like it but at 4K things were not so bad.
I agree that DLSS is best used at 4K where it can look better than native

DLSS at 1080p doesn't look nearly as good as native and 1440p looks about the same IMO.

I keep hearing from Team Green is that DLSS is somehow, magically, better than native resolution. I absolutely cannot believe it though.
I kept hearing around the 'Net that in Remedy's Control, DLSS 4K has higher image quality than native 4K. That seems like bullsh1t to me.

I kept hearing around the 'Net that in Remedy's Control, DLSS 4K has higher image quality than native 4K. That seems like bullsh1t to me.

There are several games mainly Control and Death Stranding that look much better than native res under DLSS2.0 quality mode @4k, at least in my experience.

I guess upscaling low detail textures is easy... and you don't loose a lot of detail when there wasn't much to start.

Probably my fave examples of DLSS are found in Control, Death Stranding amd Wolfenstein YB.
not trying to convince anyone of anything, but seeing for yourself is highly recommended.

Yeah, I wouldn't believe that either but it is pretty good. It'll let you pick the rendering resolution which is nice but it's still pretty taxing on the system, at max. I'm just bummed that it still doesn't really have full ultra-wide support. I have to do some wacky combos just to get 21:9 like 2560x1080 and something else for DLSS. That ends up looking like crap on my 32:9 5120x1440. It works but not the best. I can do alt-tab tricks and get it to do the full-res but then there are some strange artifacts on the edges of images.

I guess upscaling low detail textures is easy... and you don't loose a lot of detail when there wasn't much to start.
and that is a big part of the equation. So many focus on DLSS or upscaling that examing what the original textures are gets forgotten.

Become a Patron!
Back