NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER and 2060 SUPER Video Card Review

Glad the GPU reviews are back! Still waiting on 2080 ti super or whatever as I need an upgrade not a sidegrade. I guess as long as the same people are doing the reviews it matters not which site it is on.

Awesome review but not to be too cynical what I see is 1080 ti owners still no affordable upgrade path, and early 20 series adopters kind of got a slap in the face with Nvidia now releasing the cards it should have originally

Perhaps the 2080 Super will be a card to look at then. I don't really like the word "early adopters" because GPU technology and releases are constantly moving forward. The fastest thing there is at a given time, will be replaced down the road 6 months from now, a year from now, two years from now etc..... You simply buy what you can afford at a given time and enjoy what there is, knowing of course something faster will come down the pike in time. If you sit there and end up waiting forever though, you'll never get to enjoy anything. You just have to make a decision, and stick with it. There's always the option of trying to sell your hardware to get a little back before buying the next thing. But the next thing is always on the horizon, always.

Nice refresh, and except for the 2060, keeping the prices the same. Disappointed that they raised the power draw. I wonder if you could tweak these (undervolt perhaps?) to draw the same power as the non-super versions, to see how much improvement is by refinement and how much is due to pumping more electricity through them.

Power draw is basically raised because these have physical increases in cuda core count, rop in some cases, tmu, rt core, tensor core, plus clock speed bump and memory changes. You can't get nothing without something, always a sacrifice. However, if you compare let's say the 2070 SUPER to the 1080 Ti, you can see how much better power efficiency is from Pascal to Turing, it is quite large. There's not really much else they can do here for power savings and attain the same performance till the next generation. As it is, Turing is their most efficient architecture, and Pascal was very good to begin with.

Nice review, thanks guys! These super cards are turning out better than I expected. I agree that the $1,000 price point should be left to the Titan class.
I am looking forward to the Ray-Tracing and Overclocking reviews.
Is there any way you can tell if your 2060 super was manufactured by Samsung at 11nm?

Thanks for the review.Well all I can say RTX2070S looks like a good buy for $500 USD.

Gotta say I'm happy nVidia is going the right direction with respect to performance vs price. No surprise this released ~just~ before Navi drops. I would say this is where nVidia should have started the RTX line off, but I can understand the business angle and I can't fault them for trying to make money.

Now to see what Navi brings once we get reviews. Not sure any of them are at the point they get me to pull out my wallet and upgrade yet (still sitting on a GTX980 and fairly happy), but it's getting close.

Yes, the Amazon ads are affiliate links where we will earn a cut of what you buy after clicking on it. Amazon links within the forums (along with a few others) are also monetized - expect plenty of Prime Day spam coming up soon in the Hot Deals section!
So what's your general Amazon affiliate link? I buy from AZ all the time, and would be happy to go through your link each time, like I did in the past with HOCP.

Killer review, btw!

Also... super happy so many people beta tested the first RTX cards. Things are looking better now ;)

Excellent review! I am glad you guys picked-up where you last left off at the previous website. These are the cards I was hoping for right before the original RTX 2000 line launched. I hope nVidia and their partners can produce enough of these chips so we can purchase them at, or less than MSRP.

I like how the review clearly listed the previous Turing cards (ones one can buy from Nvidia) to the Super versions. The performance not only increase significantly for the 2070 Super but the price actually decreased! Nice! The 2060 Super I was not that impressed with for the price and expect Navi 5700 to actually be faster there or tie it (we will see). As for the 2060 at $349 with 6gb memory (Nvidia can do much better) that is not a good deal at all. Still the 2070 Super looks like the first Turing card that I would recommend.

Hope to see how Navi 5700XT/non compare but I expect maybe AMD should lower the pricing for launch, even if a little. The 2070 Super for $50 over the 5700 XT seems like a much better value from what we know from AMD benchmarks that Navi 5700XT looks to be priced too high from the get go.

The Super FE cards look rather classy and well built, price for the 2070 Super looks fair to good for the quality build and performance. Great review.

Last edited:
If the RTX 2070 in 2018 had been what the 2070 Super is now, I might have been more inclined to make a purchase. Nice to see it beating the 1080 Ti overall. Would've loved to have seen that last year. If the 2070 Super was $400-$450 (I feel like XX70 cards should be $400 or less, closer to what the 970 was at its launch ideally) and had 12GB of vRAM I'd already be throwing money at them. As it is, I haven't ruled out a purchase. We'll see where Navi comes in next week. I'd also be down for waiting until 2020, but I'm already pushing 5 years on the 970, so I can be persuaded either way. Now the 2070 Super feels like a more proper X70/XX70 card, being a cut-down version of the 2080's TU104 GPU, rather than existing on its own TU106 GPU.

Really **** glad to have somewhere to come to, with reviewers I trust, after [H]ard|OCP went into cryosleep. As always, thanks a ton for the reviews and the work you put into 'em!!

Yes, the Amazon ads are affiliate links where we will earn a cut of what you buy after clicking on it. Amazon links within the forums (along with a few others) are also monetized - expect plenty of Prime Day spam coming up soon in the Hot Deals section!

To date, we have not signed anything, but you're also right about being a new small site - we will review any documents presented to us on their merits and consider the impact that they will have to the content that we want to deliver. Without a document in front of me to review, I can't comment on whether we'd end up signing it or not. At the end of the day, we need as many eyeballs as we can get in order to make this financially viable to sustain as a going concern (currently, it's no where close to it, and I hope the next week or so changes that).

Guess I’ll be upping the Patreon...

Thank you for the outstanding review!

My personal thoughts: I was not a fan of the overall performance or the pricing of the original RTX series vs the outgoing 10xx series. Having zero interest in raytracing right now due to infancy of adoption and lack of hardware performance for these price points, I was still not impressed with the mediocre gains of new RTX vs outgoing GTX, price point to price point comparisons. Having read this review and seeing what kind of performance that these Super refresh units bring in regards to performance and price points, I feel that a 2070 Super may be a frontrunner for replacing my 980Ti, since it has the convincing check-marks of 1080Ti levels of performance at significantly lower MSRP than my 980Ti, a 1080Ti, or even the previous 2070 through 2080Ti.

I too am excited to see this level of review for the 2080 Super. Having a 1080Ti has limited my upgrade path significantly due to upgrade/replacement pricing.
I just wanna see some Destiny 2 numbers :D

I am VERY glad to see reviews again that I feel like I can trust. While the datapoints were a bit lacking. (Would the 2070 super be faster than a 2080 non FE? (depending on clock from manufacturer) That sort of thing. But still a great and in depth review touching the points in a meaningful way.

I am VERY glad to see reviews again that I feel like I can trust. While the datapoints were a bit lacking. (Would the 2070 super be faster than a 2080 non FE? (depending on clock from manufacturer) That sort of thing. But still a great and in depth review touching the points in a meaningful way.

Given the amount of time allocated for launch reviewed, it's very difficult to cover every permutation out there, so we have to make judgement calls at some point.

The other challenge with this generation is that we do not have a stock of press samples sitting around to use as comparison hardware. In the cases where it absolutely makes sense for the review (and can be used for future articles), I shell out for the hardware, but if it's not crucial, I think everyone would prefer that money goes towards labor.

For the 2080 non-FE, that would make most sense to look at for a AIB 2070 Super review, but perhaps can be accomplished through overclocking our FE card. Though, with the 2080s leaving the channel, how relevant is that to someone looking to buy a new card today?

Become a Patron!
Back