NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Announcement Could Be Delayed

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-top-side-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

We previously reported that the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti could be announced on November 17. According to Expreview, this date has been pushed back to December 2.

The original date was one day before the launch of AMD’s Radeon RX 6800 XT and Radeon RX 6800 graphics cards. Perhaps NVIDIA is feeling that this may not be the best strategy.

The Radeon RX 6800 is already competing favorably with the GeForce RTX 3070 in early tests, so it’s possible NVIDIA wants to wait a little longer for more details before its weaker...

Continue reading...

Phhffft, sumbiches ain't gonna have none in stock anyways.

If early RX 6000 series benchmarks numbers holds any truth, NVIDIA has a bigger concern to face than a competitive entry-level gpu hitting the shelves.

Market share!

I'm not a fan boy of any company, but I must say, I am laughing my *** off at NVIDIA right now. They are moving dates around, killing launches, making new ones. It's just so great to see them squirm for once.

I guess the leather man decided to out a stop to the embarrassing games. Well done I'd say. Now as to availability...

Hmm... I think this is a mistake on the part of nVidia.

Right now - neither side has released lower tiered parts. The <$500 video card market is wide open.

Doesn't matter if a 3090 beats a 6900XT or not in that particular segment - performance for price is all that matters, and right now AMD is still leveraging Navi 1 5700/5600 cards in that place. That, and your own previous generaion, is all you have to beat --- for the price.

I don't know why you would delay that - nothing AMD has announced to date hits that segment, the 3070 is already announced and out there (for what that's worth)... why wouldn't you continue to fill down the ranks?

The only reason I can think of has little to do with AMD really: nVidia wants more time to try to fill orders of the higher margin, more expensive cards before it potentially cannibalizes itself with lower margin, lesser performing cards. Sure, you could argue those same folks would just as likely jump over to AMD to get equal (or better?) performance without having to resort to dropping down to a lesser card... and maybe that will be true for some. But most nVidia fans are die hard brand loyalists. They'd love to get a 3070 to replace that old 1070 or 980, but if they can't, they may just settle for a 3060 if it's a big enough upgrade.

If early RX 6000 series benchmarks numbers holds any truth, NVIDIA has a bigger concern to face than a competitive entry-level gpu hitting the shelves.

Market share!

I can't dig up the data at the moment, but seems like the vast majority of cards sold are entry-level and lower tiered GPUs. Sure, the halo and high end products show up, but usually as low single digit market share points.

This is an older dataset (March 2020 and prior), Steam's site is down at the moment or I'd grab the most recent. Individual numbers have changed a bit I'm sure, but I bet overall trends that I'm speaking about are fairly consistent.

bUSA4oau8RS1kuze.jpg

So if you wanted to chase market share, you'd be doing it with entry-level GPUs... those <$250 price points seem to be where the volume is. Nothing over $600 cracks the top ten, and the >$500 price point (where all the current gen GPUs are currently at) have a pretty small showing here.

budget cards will always have the highest market share. Mostly from parents that don't know any better buying their kids "gaming PC's" from Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon(CyberPower, iBuyPower, etc. All they see is that "gaming PC" as part of the description that fits their budget.

Those that buy the cards for building or replacing represent a small segment of the market. Kind of why system builders had 3000 series cards for sale in their pre-builts while retail shelves were empty.

Hmm... I think this is a mistake on the part of nVidia.

Right now - neither side has released lower tiered parts. The <$500 video card market is wide open.

Doesn't matter if a 3090 beats a 6900XT or not in that particular segment - performance for price is all that matters, and right now AMD is still leveraging Navi 1 5700/5600 cards in that place. That, and your own previous generaion, is all you have to beat --- for the price.

I don't know why you would delay that - nothing AMD has announced to date hits that segment, the 3070 is already announced and out there (for what that's worth)... why wouldn't you continue to fill down the ranks?

The only reason I can think of has little to do with AMD really: nVidia wants more time to try to fill orders of the higher margin, more expensive cards before it potentially cannibalizes itself with lower margin, lesser performing cards. Sure, you could argue those same folks would just as likely jump over to AMD to get equal (or better?) performance without having to resort to dropping down to a lesser card... and maybe that will be true for some. But most nVidia fans are die hard brand loyalists. They'd love to get a 3070 to replace that old 1070 or 980, but if they can't, they may just settle for a 3060 if it's a big enough upgrade.
The mistake for nVidia was setting a release date just like nVidia's mistake was "launching" the new series of cards with no real stock. I have seen no indications that nVidia can supply stock for any of the 3xxx line so what would be the point of "releasing" a new card which can't be purchased in any sort of volume? It's even worse when you're talking about the midrange part of the lineup because these cards sell in much higher numbers than the halo cards because they are more affordable. It doesn't even matter if they can supply over twice the stock of 3080s and 3090s combined when the demand for the lower tier cards is ten times that of the halo products. The only thing the release would show is that nVidia once again can't execute a launch. In the process they piss off a lot of people including some die-hard fans.

The mistake for nVidia was setting a release date just like nVidia's mistake was "launching" the new series of cards with no real stock. I have seen no indications that nVidia can supply stock for any of the 3xxx line so what would be the point of "releasing" a new card which can't be purchased in any sort of volume? It's even worse when you're talking about the midrange part of the lineup because these cards sell in much higher numbers than the halo cards because they are more affordable. It doesn't even matter if they can supply over twice the stock of 3080s and 3090s combined when the demand for the lower tier cards is ten times that of the halo products. The only thing the release would show is that nVidia once again can't execute a launch. In the process they piss off a lot of people including some die-hard fans.

I would like to add that over here you can't buy a new 2080Ti anymore they are sold out and don't get manufactured anymore, the lower ones have plenty of stock left, by delaying an undeliverable product they can at least try to sell the remainder of their old cards stock.

"Fans" are weirdos. Late launches, no launches, bad launches, good launches bla bla bla.
A late launch or botched launch or w/e means ****nothing in the long run. Unless you simply don't have a GPU, period.

People talk about competition as if it's a good thing for gamers etc and yet "Fans" just want their favourite corporate entity to "win".

I never got it. I use Nvidia because of the stability I prefer that their Studio drivers give me for work and play. Pretty simple.
There's no "Win". Just stuff that works for you or not.

People talk about competition as if it's a good thing for gamers etc and yet "Fans" just want their favourite corporate entity to "win".
This does seem to be more true than not. It's almost like it's a new form of sporting event.

I'm not a fan boy of any company, but I must say, I am laughing my *** off at NVIDIA right now. They are moving dates around, killing launches, making new ones. It's just so great to see them squirm for once.
Actually they are doing nothing. Except with the RTX3070, these are all rumors. So we don't know for sure.

Become a Patron!
Back