NVIDIA: GeForce RTX 3090 “10 to 15 Percent Faster on Average” than GeForce RTX 3080 for 4K Gaming

I heard Dan_D's been camping outside MC since Sunday in an attempt to get a couple 3090s at launch.

Had one of my AC units on my house not needed to be replaced this past month, I would be.

Had one of my AC units on my house not needed to be replaced this past month, I would be.
I know what that's like. Happened to me about five years to the day with our main unit that's on the roof. Where I live it goes into the 90's into October so we pretty much had to, for us and our pets. Wiped out most of our savings to replace.

Well, I'm going to give it a low key try at noon on the Nvidia store.

I fully expect to get nothing, but I figured I should at least try.

I was never going to go to the extreme of camping out or waiting in line outside a store.

I tried to snag one online this morning from all the major retailers. They went out ot stock before I could complete the checkout. In the case of NVIDIA's site, the checkout process hung and never completed.

I tried to snag one online this morning from all the major retailers. They went out ot stock before I could complete the checkout. In the case of NVIDIA's site, the checkout process hung and never completed.
Them invincible bots.

And everything is sold out once again. Man this is just ridiculous. This one however I'm sure was a lot easier to sell out cause I doubt they had many at all in stock since $1500 GPU's don't usually sell that well.

I do wonder when this crap will be over and we can actually buy a new video card without a hassle?

Jesus that is ridiculous.

If this is true demand for personal use, that is fine, but anyone trying to make a profit on a product launch (apart from the company launching the product and the retailer) ought to be whacked over the head with a shovel.
If there was justice in the world they'd end up stuck with a bunch of cards that they have to sell bellow MSRP 3 months from now. But there is always THAT guy, who has more money than brainz.

So you are still planning to get one? Wish I could spare that kind of cash. I'm speaking on pure NV here. (pun intended)
Some people claim nvidia is holding back RTX3000 performance to crash AMDs party coming out with new drivers at Big Nave release. But I wouldn't count on it.

Spec wise there does seem to be some untapped performance potential...

So you are still planning to get one? Wish I could spare that kind of cash. I'm speaking on pure NV here. (pun intended)
Some people claim nvidia is holding back RTX3000 performance to crash AMDs party coming out with new drivers at Big Nave release. But I wouldn't count on it.

Spec wise there does seem to be some untapped performance potential...

Yes, I am still planning on getting a 3090. Just as soon as I can find one for MSRP. I'm not going to pay the price gougers anything.

Some tidbits:
"Which brings us on to the 24GB of useable memory offered by the RTX 3090. Do you need it for games? No, not now. Perhaps you will in the future, but for now, most of that RAM lays dormant. However, I use a 24GB GPU for the video editing work I produce for Digital Foundry and I consider it essential. Working with Adobe Premiere Pro, layering 4K videos, running effects of that, employing expensive transitions I paid a lot of money for quickly overwhelms 8GB and even 12GB GPUs. Only by exporting pieces of the video and re-importing them back into the main project, am I able to make 4K video editing work for me on a lower VRAM card. And if I don't do this, there's a strong chance I will encounter crashes when the final video is exported. Using a high VRAM GPU, I'd say that there's a 95 to 99 per cent chance my edit will successfully export. On a lower VRAM GPU - even an RTX 2080 Ti with 11GB - my edits stand a good 80 per cent chance of failure. On the one hand, the software should tell me of issues ahead of time but on the other, you have to handle the cards you're dealt. Exporting video is a time-intensive enterprise. It can take hours on the most complex projects and losing that time is unacceptable. That's my personal use-case and justification for investing in a card like this. Nvidia provided a bunch of examples of rendering programs and 8K video workflows to test, so I am sure there are others too."

"GeForce RTX 3090 is also being marketed as an 8K gaming card, and thanks to its HDMI 2.1 support, this means you'll be able to run at native resolution output at 60Hz on the latest high-end televisions. I do plan to test this and I do think that properly experiencing this is the only way forward. Right now, without a screen, the only way to get some sense of the RTX 3090's capabilities is to use DSR and effectively downscale from 8K internal rendering to a 4K display. Using DSR does incur a three to five per cent performance hit and potentially causes issues you may not have with a native screen, but I did find the RTX 3090 to perform fairly well."

"At high settings, Dirt Rally 2.0 with MSAA disabled and TAA active could allow you to lock at 60 frames per second at full 8K resolution. Meanwhile, at ultra settings, Doom Eternal varies between 45 to 60 frames per second - which is fine but not quite the experience you would hope for. Not to worry though: dynamic resolution scaling solves most of the problems, meaning that frame-rate sticks mostly at 60 frames per second but can hit a little down to 57fps. Nvidia DLSS can certainly help a great deal. Death Stranding at 8K60 is possible using DLSS performance mode, upscaling from 60fps - however, I did note regular 'pulsing' down to 45fps which I couldn't explain. Control at 8K60? It's possible via DLSS but I found using RT features as well could add instability. This is all rather inconclusive testing right now because benchmarking via DSR downsampling or using it at all even in standard gaming introduces variables to the equation you won't get while rendering on an actual 8K screen. I also think that assuming memory can be managed, 8K gaming on an RTX 3080 may be manageable simply through decent settings and memory management - it's something I'm looking forward to trying out."

And everything is sold out once again. Man this is just ridiculous. This one however I'm sure was a lot easier to sell out cause I doubt they had many at all in stock since $1500 GPU's don't usually sell that well.

I do wonder when this crap will be over and we can actually buy a new video card without a hassle?
Well, nvidia has claimed that Titans were actually pretty good sellers, so...

Become a Patron!
Back