NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 May “Only” Cost $1,399

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-rtx-ampere-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

Yesterday, we reported on the possibility that NVIDIA’s upcoming flagship GPU, the GeForce RTX 3090, would debut at a wallet-busting price of $2,000. The rumor mill is now claiming otherwise. According to Chip Hell user wjm47196 (who, per Wccftech, has “a history of leaks/rumors that turned out to be true”), green team’s halo product will actually launch at $1,399.

Is that better? Not really, since a $1,399 price tag would make the GeForce RTX 3090 $400 more expensive than the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (and $200 more than the Founders Edition). But it’s...

Continue reading...

I can deal with that. Sure it still hurts the ol' wallet but it's, at least, closer to what I was expecting. That $2K number made me a bit dizzy.

I have been saying 1500 is your target for the plain, nothing added 3090.
All the fancied up three fan, glow in the dark, RGB, disco editions will get close to that 2000 dollar ceiling.

I'm starting to think they float these "rumors" on purpose in order to gage just how much they can gouge users without spawning outrage.

That, and because after a $2,000 rumor a $1,399 rumor seems somehow reasonable, even if it isn't.

Last edited:
The ABSOLUTE MOST the market should bare for a video card of all the **** things is 1k. AND THAT IS NUTS.

But I'm not the target for the 3090tisupertitsmcgee version.

I'm starting to think they float these "rumors" on purpose in order to gage just how much they can gouge users without spawning outrage.

That, and because after a $2,000 rumor a $1,399 rumor seems.somehow reasonable, even if it isn't.

If that's their plan, it's working. I saw the headline and my mind immediately said to itself "$1399 is a lot better than $2000!".

I'm such a sheeple. :-/

At the current exchange rate a run of the mill 2080ti is 1,670$ over here so these will actually be cheaper then current cards !!

One can always dream

Note that if we're going by Chinese prices, the 2080 Ti was 10,000 CNY which is about $1,400 USD. Colorful is also notorious for releasing ridiculously expensive video cards. The only thing to infer from this rumor is that the pricing structure is going to be the same as Turing.

It won't be 1399, it it has to be more if it provides all that supposed blow out performance.

I have hopes that Nvidia realizes the market won't jump on a 1400 hundred dollar card and a 1k card is pushing it.

$500 max for me. Guess that means the 3070 Super? It better be a huge improvement over my 1080ti or I'm not budging tho.

I have hopes that Nvidia realizes the market won't jump on a 1400 hundred dollar card and a 1k card is pushing it.

Well,

The market is different today.

You have the streamer/YouTuber crowd, and those trying to be streamers or YouTubers. Many of them feel their success depends on having the latest most droolworthy hardware to show off in their videos. The sky is the limit for what they are willing to pay to have it.

PC gaming is also much more mainstream today than it has ever been in the 35 years I have been into it. There is always an extreme tail of the distribution of PC hardware enthusiasts who have the money and "absolutely have to have the best hardware money can buy".

It's not the middle of the market. It's not even the enthusiast part of the market.

No matter where they set the price, even if they come out the gate at $10k there will be some people who will buy it. They have very little to lose when it comes to selling extremely binned chips for ever more extreme prices in ever smaller volumes.

So, with that said, nothing surprises me anymore.

Oh everyone will bitch and moan, while paying the 1599$ for the 3090ti and 1399 for the 3080ti and 1199 for the 3080.
The process is simple:
Step One:
Bitch.
Step two:
Moan.
Step Three:
Buy.

There might be a slight modification to the moaning, so moan and add a comment about hoping AMD releases something amazing for less money, so Nvidia lowers the price... But then buy Nvidia at whatever price anyway.

How's the bitcoin market doing? Is it still going strong?
Bitcoin isn't worth mining any more. ETH might still be. I don't really follow I just go by what reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency says.

There is also this utility which is neat looking but I don't fully understand it.

Now if the 3090 is like the mining equivalent of 4 x 2080ti's at same power draw, or other such silliness then the rules might change.

Back when I was sorta interested, I researched a bit and could never figure out how to convert mined coins to actual money, without using one of those shady exchange sites (that all got hacked). And I am not putting my banking info into any rando site like that. I mean when Paypal of all things won't work, then my suspicious-o-meter really starts going.

Man... Remember when the GTX 295 was $500 and that was considered crazy? Hell the GTX 580 was $500 if I remember right. Maybe it's just selective memory on my part but it seems like prices just skyrockets overnight.

Man... Remember when the GTX 295 was $500 and that was considered crazy? Hell the GTX 580 was $500 if I remember right. Maybe it's just selective memory on my part but it seems like prices just skyrockets overnight.
I don't know much about stock market, but I'd imagine buying their current stock at ~$500 is probably a better investment.

I remember a time when I complained about $400 flagships...
And when $600 was (to me) some extreme insane **** for people who completely lost their gawd-**** minds.

Become a Patron!
Back