NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 Series Flagship Rumored to Feature 18,176 Cores, 48 GB (24 Gbps) Memory, and 800-Watt TBP

Nope - serious, if not somewhat far-fetched at the moment.
Oh, I'd forgotten about the mainframe heating era, when temperature was regulated by FORTRAN on punched cards. :rolleyes: I suppose anything is possible, but we've been headed in the opposite direction for quite some time. Flagship cards such as the one presented in the article are luxury items purchased by a tiny minority of gamers (I'm ignoring its potential demand for use in non-gaming applications), so I don't think they're representative of overall trends. Modern consoles or even phones are probably a better reference. And Apple's M1 Ultra, while not gaming oriented, illustrates what can be accomplished within a modest power envelope.

But I agree with you that the speculated 800-Watt isn't cause for concern, as mid-range cards without extravagant power demands should be more than adequate for most. It's amazing how much performance can be gained from dialing back a few settings that have an imperceptible effect on image quality. Hardcore gamers can always move to Iceland with the miners. 🇮🇸
I don't think I posted about it but I remember reading about 6 months ago about a country, I think in the EU, that had a data center that was plumbed into the local community heating setup.
I don't know how widely reported it was, but Microsoft experimented with an underwater data center several years ago. Not quite the same thing, but perhaps a similar level of "weirdness" at the time.

Those concerned about the telemetry Microsoft has been collecting might consider some diving gear for the future... Imagine encountering the Microsoft logo on a deep-sea diving expedition — that'd be something, though perhaps no more strange than the thought of underwater "clouds". ☁️

Oh, I'd forgotten about the mainframe heating era, when temperature was regulated by FORTRAN on punched cards. :rolleyes: I suppose anything is possible, but we've been headed in the opposite direction for quite some time. Flagship cards such as the one presented in the article are luxury items purchased by a tiny minority of gamers (I'm ignoring its potential demand for use in non-gaming applications), so I don't think they're representative of overall trends. Modern consoles or even phones are probably a better reference. And Apple's M1 Ultra, while not gaming oriented, illustrates what can be accomplished within a modest power envelope.
That's basically what I'm expecting. Obviously not an 'average consumer' thing, no more so than the upcoming 4090 of course, but for folks that do need local compute, well, it will likely be an option.

I expect 'interfaces', whether those be in laptop form, tablet form, voice controlled, color-changing wallpaper, etc., to become fairly standardized. The difference will be the amount of compute available, the level of security involved, and the latency required.

I once watched a hippopotomus poop at the zoo.
What... what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?!?!??!?!!! They poop so much that their feces pull all the oxygen out of the water, killing the fish?!?!?!?!!!!!!

Man, you just never know what you are gonna learn on any given day of your life. Life is indeed one big non-stop learning experience. A lot of crazy sh1t going on out there.

What... what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?!?!??!?!!! They poop so much that their feces pull all the oxygen out of the water, killing the fish?!?!?!?!!!!!!
Considering that the pooping hippopotamus was compared to an underwater datacenter deployed by Microsoft, I think he just gave all of us another good reason to reconsider the installation of Windows. 😨

How much aquatic life is killed during each installation of Windows 10? 11?? 🦛

Hippos are goddamn savage.

If you want nightmare fodder, go on youtube and search for hippo encounters.

**** lions and tigers and bears, or even moose attacks. Hippos are by far the most dangerous.

The hippos are doing the world a favor if they're culling the population of YouTube celebrities.

If you want nightmare fodder, go on youtube and search for hippo encounters.

**** lions and tigers and bears, or even moose attacks. Hippos are by far the most dangerous.
Crocs don't f*ck with hippos. I saw a video of a hippo attack, it took a man's arm off! I'll go play with a wild cougar or gator or something before I even get anywhere near a hippo.

My wife and I tend to watch a lot of nature vids and the battles at the watering holes are always impressive. The smart folks back away when they get near but there's always some alligator/croc, lion, tiger, or antelope that thinks they're in charge and find out the hard way. Humans, well natural selection still happens.

Become a Patron!
Back