NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 Series Rumored to Launch by Q4 2022, Double the Performance of GeForce RTX 3090

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA’s flagship GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics card will be twice as fast as its BFGPU and current GeForce champion, the GeForce RTX 3090. This is according to rumors overheard by Twitter user greymon55, who noted that green team’s Ampere successors would leverage a 5-nanometer process and be released sometime between Q4 2022 and Q1 2023. While greymon55’s tweet doesn’t hold much weight on its own, notable leaker kopite7kimi has chimed in with a brief but corroborative comment that suggests NVIDIA will have no problem crushing the performance of its current flagship with its next cutting-edge architecture, Lovelace.

easy— kopite7kimi (@kopite7kimi) July 6, 2021

Lovelace AD102Ampere GA102ProcessSamsung 5 nm (?)Samung 8 nmGraphics Processing...

Continue reading...

Double the performance quadruple the price? LOL
8nm Samsung to 5nm TSMC could be double, but yeah, who knows about pricing.

It's also a year and a half away, so more or less 'on time' I suppose, and probably too far ahead to really be concerned about.

8nm Samsung to 5nm TSMC could be double, but yeah, who knows about pricing.

It's also a year and a half away, so more or less 'on time' I suppose, and probably too far ahead to really be concerned about.
Well technically the 3000 series still hasn't launched in earnest as it is completely unavailable to the general public. At least at prices even remotely resembling msrp. So even rumors about the next are just insults to injury.

Well technically the 3000 series still hasn't launched in earnest as it is completely unavailable to the general public. At least at prices even remotely resembling msrp. So even rumors about the next are just insults to injury.
There's no insult imo, Nvidia has a schedule and I see no reason for them to slow down.
There was no way to predict 2020, and Corps like NV, AMD and Intel tend to have things mapped out and scheduled for years ahead.

Yep, I have to agree with everything said in this thread so far. We've all seen it and all are these statements are true. The only real doubt is if this scalping nightmare will happen again making it another meaningless launch for the general public. At one point, since September, I was shocked to see prices for the gaming card lines eclipse certain Quadro models due to the insanity. I'm getting closer to retirement so it's possible I may opt-out of even trying to get something next time around it this all repeats again.

I might as well wait then. OTOH maybe the 3080ti's will be in stock by then, just before being discontinued...

Nvidia in 2025 going to be like "Our new 5090 is the most powerful card available! MSRP of only $8999.99"

So, they bring back 1050ti's at $300 to help with the shortage. Which is at least a step up from the 700 series. Progress!
I have a special appreciation for the 1050Ti- it's just enough. Can game, slot powered in some iterations, full complement of NVENC.

Granted it should be a US$75 card max, but thems the times.

I have a special appreciation for the 1050Ti- it's just enough. Can game, slot powered in some iterations, full complement of NVENC.

Granted it should be a US$75 card max, but thems the times.

Yeah I have a 1050ti laptop that I can't seem to make myself get rid of. It's just barely good enough for 1080p gaming. I would have to spend real money to do better.

Yeah I have a 1050ti laptop that I can't seem to make myself get rid of. It's just barely good enough for 1080p gaming. I would have to spend real money to do better.
1650Ti in my XPS 15 from last year (don't think they've upgraded the model yet), and same- about the only thing I'd want further would be something that could handle DLSS (and have the ML part of RTX for hardware noise cancellation etc).

And I didn't even want a dGPU, but after some research I found that an Intel + Nvidia combo was as good as I was going to get for a mobile workstation. AMDs drivers are still having issues on and on with content creation apps, which rules out anything beyond a bare Ryzen, and while I would have preferred that to an Intel CPU, those are still not widely available.

There's no insult imo, Nvidia has a schedule and I see no reason for them to slow down.
There was no way to predict 2020, and Corps like NV, AMD and Intel tend to have things mapped out and scheduled for years ahead.
The reason to slow down is to allow the market to normalize, because if they act as if everything is fine that alienates enthusiasts. I already have a bad taste in my mouth and really can't get excited for a new series even if they boast 10x performance. To me it seems like fiction, because the 3xxx is also fiction at this point as far as I'm concerned.

The reason to slow down is to allow the market to normalize, because if they act as if everything is fine that alienates enthusiasts. I already have a bad taste in my mouth and really can't get excited for a new series even if they boast 10x performance. To me it seems like fiction, because the 3xxx is also fiction at this point as far as I'm concerned.

A few things:

AMD, Intel and Nvidia are in competition in many market segments. They can't slow down.

Enthusiasts are a small segment in comparison to other ones that demand progress.
Creatives and data centers etc want more performance all the time. Time is money.
Actually ALL industries that use any of their products demand more. Aviation, Space, Science, Medical, Military blah blah blah.
Shareholders dont care about enthusiasts feelings. Especially when profits soar. And they are soaring.

There will be no slowdown. Unless it becomes profitable to sandbag.

A few things:

AMD, Intel and Nvidia are in competition in many market segments. They can't slow down.

Enthusiasts are a small segment in comparison to other ones that demand progress.
Creatives and data centers etc want more performance all the time. Time is money.
Actually ALL industries that use any of their products demand more. Aviation, Space, Science, Medical, Military blah blah blah.
Shareholders dont care about enthusiasts feelings. Especially when profits soar. And they are soaring.

There will be no slowdown. Unless it becomes profitable to sandbag.
Oh, I'm sure shareholders are happy, let's see how happy they are when the bubble bursts again. It's as if they learned nothing from the last mining craze.

None of those you list are in the market for gaming hardware. We have seen numerous times that "don't like it don't buy it" is not a viable marketing strategy.

Oh, I'm sure shareholders are happy, let's see how happy they are when the bubble bursts again. It's as if they learned nothing from the last mining craze.

None of those you list are in the market for gaming hardware. We have seen numerous times that "don't like it don't buy it" is not a viable marketing strategy.
The point is, The "gaming" market isnt the one that makes or breaks these companies.
When the "bubble" bursts it will have very little impact on the overall profitability of these corps.

Nvidia especially is getting so diversified these days that eventually the gaming market will be nothing but a Visibility thing, it might even be operating at a loss down the road and still be kept around.

There is no "just desert" type stuff coming down the pike for these corps, they just keep moving on. Bigger and better.

There is no "just desert" type stuff coming down the pike for these corps, they just keep moving on. Bigger and better.
I will add to this a bit:

Yes, absolutely that the shareholders drive the bus. The companies, especially nVidia who has a long track record of especially doing so, will do anything to appease their shareholders.

If nVidia have a new generation ready to roll, and the competition is sniffing at their heels (be it Intel or nVidia, or just shareholders acting grumpy) - nVidia will roll it out and pretend like the current shortage never even happened. Even if it's a paper launch, or a cardboard launch, or whatever you want to call it and availability absolutely blows. And given the current market climate, there are very good odds nVidia will even increase prices more while doing so.

And you know what - most gamers will go right along with it. Everyone will bitch, moan, and get out their checkbook and wait in queues and pay scalpers and everything they are doing right now.

Gaming is a big market. DIY computer building is a niche, but the overall gaming market segment is pretty big. It's still the largest market for nVidia - a bit under half of their total revenue by market segment as of the latest Quarterly Report. That said, yes, they are desperate to diversify, and yes, that "gaming" market also includes RTX/GTX sales that went to miners, which they can't, or won't, segregate and disclose. Maybe nVidia would have sold all those cards to gamers even without miners, may not - hard to say given all the supply problems and everything else that has come up-- they were having issues with supply early on. Remember the 3080/90 released in September before other industries started showing supply & logistics issues, it never has had in-stock availability.

We still haven't seen the low price / low tier Ampere models come out - cards that should be in the $120-150 segment and $180-$200 segment that the 1650 and 1660 held for Turing. The same is true for AMD, so we still don't have complete roll-outs on current generation products. It will be very telling what these cards actually sell for when they are introduced and the market stabilizes: if the price on an entry-level card jumps over $200 it's a bad sign.

Become a Patron!
Back