NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5090 Won’t Be Significantly More Expensive than RTX 4090, It’s Claimed

Well in fairness AMD isn't exactly the most power-efficient. I seem to remember a few stories about OC'd 7900XTX models having some voracious power appetites. When kept at stock speeds they can be, but for those that really push them it's a different world.

If you're really worried about power draw, but also want cutting edge, just drop the power limit to 75%. It drops power draw at a fairly minimal decrease in performance because they are pushing these cards right to the edge. For Folding@Home, I set my cards to 55% - I save power and my points per day only drops like 10%. Every once in a while I forget to set my cards back to full power when gaming on them and, depending on the game, it's hard to even notice.

I will say that for high-end perf/power effeciency, even when using OC settings on top of a factory overclock, the 4080 SUPER in my signature has been amazing. I sometimes see it hanging in the 320W range but have many times seen it sit around the mid-to-high 200s as well anytime usage gets to under 93%. I've been exceptionally impressed with its design, other than being a gigantic card.

I'm done chasing bleeding edge. The cost versus the return is no longer justified, for me.

Once these 5000 series cards drop I'll most likely pick up a used 4090.

I've never cared about power consumption on a desktop part. As long as I can keep it cool enough to maintain reliability I'm happy. As for the price, I don't really expect it to be that much if any more than the RTX 4090 was.

I've never cared about power consumption on a desktop part. As long as I can keep it cool enough to maintain reliability I'm happy. As for the price, I don't really expect it to be that much if any more than the RTX 4090 was.
Still a tuff pill... but this time I'm thinking about it.

Still a tuff pill... but this time I'm thinking about it.
Agreed. I'm not fond of current GPU or motherboard prices either. They've gotten out of hand in the last few years. I used to be that guy who upgraded every generation and I may not be doing that going forward.

I'm done chasing bleeding edge. The cost versus the return is no longer justified, for me.

Once these 5000 series cards drop I'll most likely pick up a used 4090.
I've been done chasing it for a while.

Anymore and I'm thinking - give it a few years and we won't need GPUs at all, all the graphics will just be AI derived, and probably cloud-based. We'll just have to live with occasional "hallucinations" - can't be any worse than clipping issues, frame stuttering, or random T-poses in games that already exist, right?

Thanks, Now I’m having nightmares about future consoles that are basically just cell phones that front end your sub to XBox cloud, and no PC ports because “you can just play it in the cloud”

...give it a few years and we won't need GPUs at all, all the graphics will just be AI derived, and probably cloud-based.
Ugh.

We'll just have to live with occasional "hallucinations" - can't be any worse than clipping issues, frame stuttering, or random T-poses in games that already exist, right?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thanks, Now I’m having nightmares about future consoles that are basically just cell phones that front end your sub to XBox cloud, and no PC ports because “you can just play it in the cloud”
Oh gawd.

Gonna need better internet in that case, while I have a theoretical unlimited internet account that's only unlimited as long as I use it in a reasonable fashion or I will be throttled for the remainder of the month

Gonna need better internet in that case, while I have a theoretical unlimited internet account that's only unlimited as long as I use it in a reasonable fashion or I will be throttled for the remainder of the month
Don’t worry, isn’t there a post around here announcing 6G?

Surely that will fix everything. Just like 5G did, and LTE, and WiFi AXBGHBTQ+

Become a Patron!
Back