NVIDIA Has Been “Calling on Microsoft and Sony Every Week” about Returning to PlayStation and Xbox Consoles

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA is interested in expanding its footprint in the console space by supplying chips for Microsoft and Sony's next-generation Xbox and PlayStation consoles, according to new statements that analyst Jon Peddie made on the heels of a report that suggests NVIDIA is developing a new business unit focused on custom chips, including advanced AI processors, for cloud computing firms and more.

See full article...

Well if Nvidia gets into the console market... they won't be cheaper than a ok PC for long.

I think AMD owns the APU and custom SOC market.... I don't know what Nvidia could bring to the console table that isn't there already.

Tegra has always had potential but I'm pretty sure that Sony and MS are quite happy with AMD's APUs and are not wanting to get locked into some other proprietary hardware spec. At least with AMD there's a possibility that should they walk away they could still retain some backwards compatibility but if they fully switch to Tegra or some other custom NV processor, they're committed. That's why neither were easily able to provide compatibility to games made on those older systems when they switched to AMD.

Now on the flip side, I'm a huge fan of both the PS2 (IBM) and PS3 and was really saddened when Sony switched but they've made it work over time. I never spent much time with Xbox beyond the 1st one but it seems like the Series X|S, and One have been okay for MS, it's just that Sony has done a more impressive job with its game studios and exclusives. Not that MS doesn't have them, I just think Sony has done better.

Tegra has always had potential but I'm pretty sure that Sony and MS are quite happy with AMD's APUs and are not wanting to get locked into some other proprietary hardware spec. At least with AMD there's a possibility that should they walk away they could still retain some backwards compatibility but if they fully switch to Tegra or some other custom NV processor, they're committed. That's why neither were easily able to provide compatibility to games made on those older systems when they switched to AMD.

Now on the flip side, I'm a huge fan of both the PS2 (IBM) and PS3 and was really saddened when Sony switched but they've made it work over time. I never spent much time with Xbox beyond the 1st one but it seems like the Series X|S, and One have been okay for MS, it's just that Sony has done a more impressive job with its game studios and exclusives. Not that MS doesn't have them, I just think Sony has done better.

The other flip side is that sticking with AMD makes multi platform game development much easier. There's a lot of incentive from the studios to stick with x86.

The other flip side is that sticking with AMD makes multi platform game development much easier. There's a lot of incentive from the studios to stick with x86.

I don't know, there are a lot of swtiches around and soon a switch 2, they may have to dumb the games down a bit but still Nvidia based.

Pretty sure everyone that's ever got in bed with nVidia has regretted it.

I still recall the 8600m debacle and Apple just won't touch nVidia any more after that. Think Microsoft had a similar experience with the first Xbox. With a console, your goal is always to drive down costs as the console ages. nVidia just doesn't play that game though.

Lets be honest here Microsoft and Sony will want a vendor they can flex against. And they just can't do that to Nvidia. If anything Nvidia might just leave them high and dry.

I can see Microsoft going Intel but not Nvidia as their consoles (series X) are selling for $350 or less

Probably a chance with Sony, if they want to create a beast of a console

I can see Microsoft going Intel but not Nvidia as their consoles (series X) are selling for $350 or less

Probably a chance with Sony, if they want to create a beast of a console
take this with a big grain of salt, but from the rumours, Sony already has a contract with AMD for their next gen console while MS supposedly has not which makes some think MS may have to launch later then Sony, so there might be an opening for Nvidia there (that is if the rumours for the next gen Xbox are untrue as that one sumpposedly launches in 2026)

but again, all rumours and speculation.

There's really no room left in the market for another console. There are already 2 big players for AAA titles and then there's Nintendo who rules the handheld market. Anyone else that tries to enter either market ultimately fails.

And honestly I'm surprised the Xbox has lasted as long as it has.

There's really no room left in the market for another console. There are already 2 big players for AAA titles and then there's Nintendo who rules the handheld market. Anyone else that tries to enter either market ultimately fails.

And honestly I'm surprised the Xbox has lasted as long as it has.
Wouldn't the steam deck be a AAA playing handheld console? And the variations on that?

nVidia's already had their chance. They had a version of their GeForce 3 in the original Xbox, and let's not forget that the original Xbox led to the nForce motherboard chipset, and some of the stuff on the first nForce (like the nVidia SoundStorm audio processor, which was never continued past the first nForce). I seem to recall hearing that things didn't work out so well between Microsoft and nVidia, and they had a falling out.

Then nVidia got another chance with the PS3 having a version of their GeForce 7. Something must have happened if Sony didn't care to team up with nVidia again. Sony and Microsoft have both been exclusively using AMD SoCs since then.

I don't know how nVidia got in bed with Nintendo, but I guess things finally worked out for nVidia there. Probably a better use of their Tegra SoCs than phones and tablets. But an SoC made for mobile sh1t is not the same as having big-boy hardware in your console. The Tegra in the Switch couldn't even compare to the AMD Jaguar-based consoles, let alone the Zen 2 + RDNA2 consoles.

Think Microsoft had a similar experience with the first Xbox.
I certainly recall hearing the same.

Wouldn't the steam deck be a AAA playing handheld console? And the variations on that?
Yeah, I was going to mention the same, Steam Deck and such.
These things are still full-blown PCs, and I lump them in with the PC market, not consoles. You can certainly treat them like a console, but you can do the same with a laptop or desktop too, if you wanted to.

But yeah, no handheld PC so far has used nVidia hardware (that I know of). It's mostly been AMD, and Intel is getting some action there too.

But yeah, no handheld PC so far has used nVidia hardware
Well you could consider the shield tablet a portable gaming PC back in the day, it was pretty powerfull just did not catch on.

imo not even close. for me to even consider it beeing a AAA console it would need to run most games at least at 1080 high details at 60fps lminimum.

I still don't get why high end PC gamers that would game at 4K on high hz monitors if possible get al giddy for a low res, low detail, anemic battery console like PC thingamajig running a wonky OS. /end rant

No. It's a handheld PC and game streaming device.

Also, the sales figures for it are pathetic in comparison to the Switch. Like 1% compared to the Swtich. And it's another Valve product that will be dumped sooner rather than later. Just like the Steam Link.

Become a Patron!
Back