NVIDIA Has Informed Its Partners About New Silicon Variants for GeForce RTX 4080 and GeForce RTX 4070 That Could Lower Costs

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The difference with the new SKUs is that something called a "kicker" or "comparator circuit" is no longer needed. It has been estimated that by longer having this on the PCB that the BOM cost could be reduced by as much as $1 and in turn potentially mean lower manufacturing costs for both cards.

See full article...

Sure, they informed them of this, but also that what they pay to nvidia is going up by 10, and msrp down by 25, with a 50 rebate mandatory.

Sure, they informed them of this, but also that what they pay to nvidia is going up by 10, and msrp down by 25, with a 50 rebate mandatory.
Lol thsts almost convoluted enough to be Nvidia policy.

According to the "videocardz" link, at least one manufacturer (Gainward) confirmed that their existing RTX 4080 models are shipping with either AD103-300 or AD103-301 GPUs, but they aren't releasing new card revisions. If that is typical, the changes should be transparent to the consumer.

Right now the reference RTX4080 on Nvidia site is 1.399€ if they can drop it by 400 ish € I'll think about it.

It's not like 7900XTX cards are going to be available anytime soon after the cooler fiasco.

Right now the reference RTX4080 on Nvidia site is 1.399€ if they can drop it by 400 ish € I'll think about it.

It's not like 7900XTX cards are going to be available anytime soon after the cooler fiasco.
The AMD fiasco only deals with AMD supplied reference cards. AIB partner cards were not effected. Then again, we haven't been seeing those cards come back in stock anywhere. AMD needs to get on the ball with production. This whole "they'll be in stock right before the next gen drops" b.s. just isn't cutting it.

To me, "New Silicon Variants" just sounds like a way for them to save face.

They priced them too high with too much of a margin, now they need to lower the price or people won't buy,m but how do they do that if they are already on the record as stating that higher GPU prices are necessary and the way it is going to be now.

I know, but those are expensive AMD.com 1108.56€ other models are easily 1.499€ and up
Not in the U.S. At least not when you can get them at MSRP. Sure, I can buy a AIB 7900 XTX right now for $1500. But that's inflated scalper pricing. The AIB cards here are retailing for $1100.

To me, "New Silicon Variants" just sounds like a way for them to save face.

They priced them too high with too much of a margin, now they need to lower the price or people won't buy,m but how do they do that if they are already on the record as stating that higher GPU prices are necessary and the way it is going to be now.
Yeah but if this variant is only changing the BOM by "as much as" $1.00, and apparently that has already got out (if it's true): even at the 75%+ margin the cards currently allegedly have, that lowers the price by ... what, $4 off MSRP?

You may be right, I mean, most people aren't going to read the article or anything or even realize there is a new chip - they would just see a lower price. But I don't know that nVidia needs to have any story to save face - they could just write down the MSRP, or have a temporary sale, or start including rebates or game bundles -- all those old tricks they usually use if they just wanted to lower the price - and everyone would just say "Hey they finally came to their senses, hooray."

Become a Patron!
Back