NVIDIA Has Reportedly Set MSRP for the GeForce RTX 4070 at $599

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Another day and the latest rumor is that NVIDIA has reportedly set the price for its upcoming GeForce RTX 4070 at $599. The mid-range graphics card will be, to date, the lowest-priced card in the RTX 40 series but that won't likely be the case for long with at least two more cards below it that are expected to be released soon as well. At $599 this card will be priced $200 less than the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti.

Even though NVIDIA has reportedly set the price there is a possibility it may change the MSRP for this card before its expected April 13 launch. Such last-minute decisions have happened before, especially if rival AMD announces anything that could potentially compete at that price point. However, if the GeForce RTX 4070 stays at this price it will replace the former GeForce RTX 3070 Ti which also launched at $599 in 2021. Beyond that, the two cards are quite different in terms of their specifications and continue a trend with the lower-tier RTX 40-series offerings trading blows with their predecessor's specs.

See full article...

Interesting. If the 4070 is $600 then following is likely price for cards lower down the lineup

4060 ti ~ $500
4060 ~ $400
4050 ti ~ $330
4050 6gb ~ $280

I have my doubts... but Nvidia hopefully isn't completely tone deaf.

Cut that price in half, you hosers. I remember paying like $200-250 for my 1070

I remember distinctly my 1070 ended up at 450. and change after taxes.... because I bought my wife a ring of the same value. lol.

Forgive my napkin math, the 1070 came out in 2016 with 8GB of GDDR5 on 256-bit bus and TSMC 16nm node, its MSRP was $379, and this was 7 years ago. If we count for inflation alone, it would be ~$479 today. For alleged 4070 specs, considering the cost of the current TSMC 4nm process node, 12GB GDDR6, and other raw materials and complexity and increases in prices on parts today, add another $100. From this perspective, $599 doesn't seem outrageous, perhaps $579 with no margins, but of course, they do like to make a little margin on GPUs. /shrug

but of course, they do like to make a little margin on GPUs. /shrug

I wouldn't cut them too much slack. There would also be things like efficiency gains in manufacturing, supply chain improvements that are brought about by larger market share enabling them to write bigger contracts, shared R&D across other market segments, squeezing AIBs, offloading first party sales, and lower cost per transistor brought about by node improvements. I think they are more or less offsetting penalties.

Yeah, I don't expect prices to stay set in stone year over year, but generally - MSRP was traditionally a high bar, and sales and promotions you were usually able to find cards well underneath MSRP a few weeks or months after release. For the past few years, since cryptocovidcrap, MSRP is a pipe dream and if you can find anything at that price it's a minor miracle.

So yeah, you can look at inflation from MSRP to MSRP, but generally, 5 years ago and earlier, most people weren't paying full MSRP for cards, so that makes this price increase even more pronounced. Consider that for years, heck decades - electronics have generally been able to buck general inflation and stay stable or even go down in price - and video cards were no exception -- all the way until cryptocovid hit. And it's not like all electronics have inflated like this - just ones where there is a single dominant player and no real competition to keep prices in check...

Last edited:
Forgive my napkin math, the 1070 came out in 2016 with 8GB of GDDR5 on 256-bit bus and TSMC 16nm node, its MSRP was $379, and this was 7 years ago. If we count for inflation alone, it would be ~$479 today. For alleged 4070 specs, considering the cost of the current TSMC 4nm process node, 12GB GDDR6, and other raw materials and complexity and increases in prices on parts today, add another $100. From this perspective, $599 doesn't seem outrageous, perhaps $579 with no margins, but of course, they do like to make a little margin on GPUs. /shrug
Question is what are the margins. We think we know board partners margins are low, how about nvidia.
Im sure their margins are plenty.
I appreciate the inflation aspect, generalizing and such, but thats not really how it should work, not everything goes up in price at the same rate, or even goes up, things can go down in price of course. Then again, the dollar has been a little feverish of late, with a touch of some minor debts, and slight money printing, so I suppose, the all encompassing inflation is there of course. Ill say it again and again dgpu should be looked at in multiples of xbox series x or ps5s. This gives you a better idea of the value of that dgpu, as it aint nothing what goes on those consoles, and the price is quite good, and the margin is nil, sure, but still, dgpus are overpriced, have been for years.
Nvida got fat and uninterested in market share, amd got normal weight now and equally uninterested in growing market share. They are both right from a business perspective, pc gaming is not minting new gamers left and right (sure money wise is pretty big, but a portion of that is the high prices) so market share is not a priority, AMD knows its very hard to change people brand preference (it takes a complete crash and burn by the competition, to shave ever so little in the market) so whats the point? Discount a bit from nvidia, and call it a day, as far as nvidia is concerned well, they know you aint buying nothing else, and got no real desire to go anywhere, so take it or leave it. You aint buying Intel either.
No one whats to disrupt this market. Nit really. Intel either. Intel might want to be AMD the second, maybe. With their gpu cut out from what they freely toss to the garbage in cpus, wow, such a product! (im exaggerating)

Become a Patron!
Back