NVIDIA: HDMI-VRR, Adaptive-Sync Support Coming to Future G-SYNC Displays

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA is loosening the restrictions behind its proprietary hardware and software implementation of VRR, G-SYNC. The company has told TFT Central that future native G-SYNC displays would be capable of supporting not only HDMI-VRR, but VESA's Adaptive Sync over HDMI and DisplayPort. Acer's latest Predator monitors alluded to this change: the X27 P supports HDMI-VRR, while the XB273 X supports both HDMI-VRR and Adaptive Sync over DisplayPort.

This new firmware is being used now for future Native G-sync screens, and the Acer Predator XB273 X is the first we’ve seen advertised with these new features. We confirmed with NVIDIA that it will NOT be possible to update firmware to any existing Native G-sync screen, or request updates to allow your current G-sync screen to be updated so that it would work with AMD graphics cards. The new firmware will only be applied to future G-sync module displays.

But only for RTX onwards I bet :cautious:
They did least make it available to the non-RTX turing cards. Anything beyond Pascal only has HDMI 1.4 so it wouldn't really help them anyway but I do agree it would've been nice if Pascal got it. My 1080TI can easily still perform favorably at 1440p.

I thought this article really only pertained to displays and the Gsync sub-processor that is included on those?

So this means that AMD cards will get the benefits of the G-Sync module if I read this right and another article from another site. If so, then that’s good news for anyone looking to buy a high end gaming screen in the future.

Become a Patron!
Back