NVIDIA Might Introduce a New 12-Pin Power Connector for Its Upcoming Ampere-Based GPUs

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
NVIDIA-Logo-Circuit-Design-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

For some time now, we have seen high-end GPUs edge closer to the limits of current power connectors. Although PCIe 4.0 increases bandwidth, it does not increase power coming from the motherboard. It should be noted that at this time, NVIDIA has not confirmed if its upcoming 30 series will support PCIe 4.0, but it is probably a safe bet. Some recent rumors have also suggested that these cards may exceed 300-watt TDP. Although they could probably push a bit more power through 2x 8-pin connectors, it seems that NVIDIA may be taking the initiative by introducing a new connecting power interface...

Continue reading...

MOAR POWER

so, 12 pins, I'm pretty sure my PCI-E power header from my PS has 2x6 so I guess it works out?? If not, or if the pinouts are odd..... better hope they include adapter dongles. This was common practice not very long ago, but my last 2 cards didn't come with any...

Yea a power dongle will be needed for this. Or It would need to come with cables that fit Manufacturer pinouts/pins for power supply sockets. But I don't see that happening.

MOAR POWER

so, 12 pins, I'm pretty sure my PCI-E power header from my PS has 2x6 so I guess it works out?? If not, or if the pinouts are odd..... better hope they include adapter dongles. This was common practice not very long ago, but my last 2 cards didn't come with any...
6-pin PCI-E auxiliary power connectors are only rated for 75 watts at +12V, so two combined would only be for 150 watts. The article states that this new connector would be rated for between 400 and 600 watts at +12V.

6-pin PCI-E auxiliary power connectors are only rated for 75 watts at +12V, so two combined would only be for 150 watts. The article states that this new connector would be rated for between 400 and 600 watts at +12V.

That's massive... My entire power supply is 620 watts today and that's supporting my entire system. Now I'll need that kind of power just to support a video card that MAY be faster than what is coming in a new console?!

Sounds like I'm definitely awaiting AMD's solution this time.

That's massive... My entire power supply is 620 watts today and that's supporting my entire system. Now I'll need that kind of power just to support a video card that MAY be faster than what is coming in a new console?!

Sounds like I'm definitely awaiting AMD's solution this time.
Just because it's rated for 400W doesn't mean it will use 400W. Rumor was saying that Ampere could use up to 320W, if I remember correctly. That would be coming close to the 375W specified "limit" of using two 8-pin auxiliary connectors and the PCI-E slot. Just to note: The R9 295X had a TBP rating of 500W and it was run with just two 8-pin connectors, but that card came with very specific power supply requirements from AMD.

Correct. The 8 pin is rated for 150W but there is no difference in the 12v leads between the 6 pin and the 8 pin connector. The 6 pin connector can easily supply 150W. The limit of 75W is a specification limit not a physical one.

Between Nvidia and Intel pushing the power envelope higher we're all gonna need mini arc reactors in our PCs to supply the power demand.

Here's hoping psu companies don't start using this as a marketing ploy with fancy jargon and price increases to match.

Get your NEW GPU ACCELERATING POWER SUPPLY TODAY! Is your High end GPU not performing like your expect it to? Did you know your GPU will SLOW DOWN if it can't get enough power!? IT'S TRUE. Without our special 12 pin 1 gigawat capable power supply lines for today's demanding GPU's you MAY BE UNDER POWERING YOUR GPU!

So get your GPU 9000 today!!! That's right this Power supply is rated at over NINE THOUSAND Gigapower* units!!!

*Please note gigapower is an internal measurement we use of how powerful our power supplies feel when installed in a system as compared to leading competitors in our narrowly defined market segment.

Next announcement by Nvidia: entering the power supply business late 2020.
If current connectors can cut it, why bother with a special one?
If you are going to supply and 'adapter' why bother with a special one.
The only way this makes some sense, is if they are either getting in the power supply business (which they could since they probably have to do special things for the ai and cloud stuff) or they are releasing the one top end model card, with an absurd power consumption with the outrageous price, that requires the special connector for the 1000w plus PS.
Goes like this, 3000$ card, plus 419$ new power supply, gives you super top end performance. Send these to review to a few chosen ones, win all battles... Over price the rest of the line up, profit.

Well, in Nvidia's defense. When the new 6+2 pin adapter was introduced I don't think it had any GPUs that would utilize all the possible power from it either.

So this probably means they're seeing a need for more power in the future.

I guess 3DFX was thinking towards the future when they designed the V5-6000 to use an external DC power brick!!

Nvidia can't be "couragous" enough to make people buy new power supplies. If a dongle can't cut it and it does require more power than the PCI-e headers offer.... one hopes they will team up with power supply oem's and work some rebates/bundle deals or something.

I mean a $1000-1500 video card is insulting enough, telling people they have to cough up another $100+ for a new power supply is just nuts.

I guess 3DFX was thinking towards the future when they designed the V5-6000 to use an external DC power brick!!

Nvidia can't be "couragous" enough to make people buy new power supplies. If a dongle can't cut it and it does require more power than the PCI-e headers offer.... one hopes they will team up with power supply oem's and work some rebates/bundle deals or something.

I mean a $1000-1500 video card is insulting enough, telling people they have to cough up another $100+ for a new power supply is just nuts.
Especially the sfx crowd.

Become a Patron!
Back