NVIDIA Reportedly Cancels GeForce RTX 3080 (20 GB) and GeForce RTX 3070 (16 GB)

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

It appears that early GeForce RTX 30 Series adopters can breathe a sigh of relief. VideoCardz is reporting that NVIDIA has canceled the GeForce RTX 3080 (20 GB) and GeForce RTX 3070 (16 GB), which previous rumors had pegged for a December release.

Sources seem adamant that this is a cancellation and not a simple postponement, whereby GeForce RTX 3080 (20 GB) and GeForce RTX 3070 (16 GB) models would be released by NVIDIA’s AIB/AIC partners at a later date.

“We do not know the official reason for the cancellation,” VideoCardz noted. “The RTX 3080 20GB might...

Continue reading...

That's no good, means those holding out might also go for the 10 GB one, making it even harder to get one

Maybe it means that getting memory to make cards in volume isn't happening?

Either way it seems they are realizing that a 3080 at 20gb of ram will step on their potential sales for a 3090. And they don't see competition with a 3090 coming from AMD so they are banking on keeping that around so purchasers that would have bought the 20gb 3080 can just buy a 3090 to get the extreme top of the line performance?

Last edited:
I suspect NV is proactively reacting to the new AMD GPUs - worried about the canceled cards not being sustainable at their inflated price points once the new GPU's come out.

Of course it could be for more then 1 reason, or others as well.

I suspect NV is proactively reacting to the new AMD GPUs - worried about the canceled cards not being sustainable at their inflated price points once the new GPU's come out.

Of course it could be for more then 1 reason, or others as well.
Or maybe there is simply no need for the new cards, meaning AMD is not as well matched as has been hyped?

They can't cancel something they never announced in the first place.

Isn't this an april's fool article? I mean: " Source: Jensen’s Laptop "

I think this is BS. 10GB memory is just not enough for this gen, we already had 11GB two gens before. There is no way in hell there won't be a 20GB 3080 or whatever it ends up being called eventually.

I think this is BS. 10GB memory is just not enough for this gen, we already had 11GB two gens before. There is no way in hell there won't be a 20GB 3080 or whatever it ends up being called eventually.
There wont be a 20GB version unless the 10GB one wont sell at all, whenever it comes back in to stock in meaningful quantities.
Pretty simple.

There wont be a 20GB version unless the 10GB one wont sell at all, whenever it comes back in to stock in meaningful quantities.
Pretty simple.
You think it is that simple but it isn't. Regardless of how 10GB 3080s are selling there is a market for a 20GB one. And they can have better margins on a more expensive card. So it makes zero sense to not make it. Hell if the 10GB version sells like hot cakes it makes even more sense to make a 20GB one.

The xx80 card never came with more than 10GB.

780 = 3GB
980 = 4GB
1080 = 8GB
2080 = 8GB
3080 = 10GB

The Ti did, but we don't have an Ampere Ti (yet?).

780 Ti = 3GB
980 Ti = 6GB
1080 Ti = 11GB
2080 Ti = 11GB

The xx80 card never came with more than 10GB.

780 = 3GB
980 = 4GB
1080 = 8GB
2080 = 8GB
3080 = 10GB

The Ti did, but we don't have an Ampere Ti (yet?).

780 Ti = 3GB
980 Ti = 6GB
1080 Ti = 11GB
2080 Ti = 11GB

Well, duh. That's exactly what I meant. the 20GB version can be called the 3080Ti. If the 3080 is the flagship, it's a flagship that has less memory than the last 2 generations. It doesn't compute.

Well, duh. That's exactly what I meant. the 20GB version can be called the 3080Ti. If the 3080 is the flagship, it's a flagship that has less memory than the last 2 generations. It doesn't compute.
3090 is the flagship, tbh. There's no room in between the 3080 and 3090 without making the 3090 seem like the worst deal ever.
It's a strange lineup, but I don't see it changing, never did. Basically Nvidia is saying that if you want more, get the 3090.
If more were actually available, the 3080 would sell well as is.

I would argue there's room but to do so soon would be weird. NV is known to flood certain stacks. The Pascal line was absolutely ridiculous in the 1050-1070 range IMHO, right to the end as Turing came out. However, releasing a 20GB 3080 within 6 months of the 3090 would leave many, including myself, wondering why bother with the 3090. I was on the fence when I heard about it.

Bottom line is we know that NV will be doing a 'refresh' or Super/Ti down the road. Stories are already out there about the next yield of 2 GB DDR6X modules coming in 2021 and that will affect a number of factors for all. Add in the rumors about a switchover from Samsung to TSMC and it becomes even more plausible they've got other things in the pipeline for down the road(unless that switchover is purely for Hopper).

I would argue there's room but to do so soon would be weird. NV is known to flood certain stacks. The Pascal line was absolutely ridiculous in the 1050-1070 range IMHO, right to the end as Turing came out. However, releasing a 20GB 3080 within 6 months of the 3090 would leave many, including myself, wondering why bother with the 3090. I was on the fence when I heard about it.
3090 looks logical from the marketing perspective. It's the fastest gaming card available with more vram than anything from AMD... it makes sense to release it, and keep the crown of "top card in town".

I have not read all the posts, but there are a few reasons why this could be so:

1.) So that they can keep more memory modules to meet the demand of 3080 sales. Only one manufacturer makes GDDR6X, Micron, for NVIDIA. So realistically dividing so many modules out to two different 3080 models means less availability of cards for both. If you can take all the memory and shove it into more 3080 10GB's, then you can get more cards out to meet the demand. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to meet the demand on either card, they'd be hurting both.

2.) The other reason could be that they are going to move to TSMC 7nm as the rumors suggested, and just don't want to put more cards out there on Samsung 8nm knowing they are going to just turn around and refresh the models again. Maybe the move to TSMC 7nm is going to happen sooner rather than later.

3.) They could be having poor yields of 8nm Samsung.

These are just theories, nothing confirmed.

<Clings desperately to 1080Ti>

I guess I will wait longer for affordable in stock options. Maybe in 2021 I can score a 1050Ti for less then 3k.
This is a tragedy for the instant gratification people.

<Clings desperately to 1080Ti>

I guess I will wait longer for affordable in stock options. Maybe in 2021 I can score a 1050Ti for less then 3k.
This is a tragedy for the instant gratification people.

I've given up on nVidia... Anything they say/do at this point, unless it's producing ACTUAL product, is marketing bullshit in my eyes..

AMD has 1 chance at this, and if they **** up the supply of their new cards, nobody is gonna give 2 ****s what these 2 companies have to say

Become a Patron!
Back