NVIDIA RTX 3000 GPU Benchmarked, Blows Away RTX 2080 Ti and TITAN RTX

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
jdsp-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3000-render-feature-1024x576.jpg
Image: JDSP

Hardware Leaks (_rogame) has shared the first benchmark for one of NVIDIA’s upcoming Ampere-based graphics cards. It isn’t clear whether this is the GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3080 Ti/SUPER, or RTX 3090/TITAN, but the GPU annihilates the current generation’s TITAN RTX and RTX 2080 Ti.

The mysterious Ampere GPU, which features a 1935 MHz core and 6000 MHz memory (an obvious error, possibly due to an early driver or new type of GDDR6 memory), managed to score 18257 in the 3DMark Time Spy benchmark, while MSI’s GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z and NVIDIA TITAN RTX only scored 15079 and 14947, respectively. The only GPU that it falls short of is KINGPIN’s custom, heavily overclocked EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (2385 MHz core, 2170 MHz memory)...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a nice card! If this comes in at anything close to $1500 then AMD is hosed... I doubt RDNA2 is gonna come close to this in performance..

Looks like a nice card! If this comes in at anything close to $1500 then AMD is hosed... I doubt RDNA2 is gonna come close to this in performance..

I'm hoping they come in around that price or lower myself.

So a potential of a 22 to 30 percent performance improvement over the last generation.

Question is will it be dollar wise? If I'm looking at a 1500 dollar video card to get better performance than a 500 dollar console, why wouldn't I just go to the console that everything is going to be designed to?

Nvidia and really AMD are at a point now where either they need to just give up on the gaming consumer market and hope enthusiests will buy their cards in droves. OR just target their cards to the professional/streamer market. That's really all that is left for them with consoles getting so good.

No It's not the 'death of PC gaming." It just means PC gamers by and large might realize it makes more financial sense to buy a console to game on than keep gaming on a PC.

I spent 800 dollars on my video card. Just about a year and a half ago. Clearly I would buy another 800 dollar card if the improvement was in that range at a equivelent price. But If I'm paying a more than 50% mark up for that level of improvement I don't see the point as a consumer. (The Enthusiast in me may win out regardless.)

My last two GPU's were Titan's, but honestly, at $1500 I'm out. This ever more expensive trend cannot continue. It does not matter what it is, or what it can do, I'm not spending $1500.

I won't accept any price increases at all over previous gen. They are already in ridiculous territory.

If I can't get the absolute top consumer model for $1200, I'm out. I'm not playing this game anymore.

If anything, we should be seeing price reductions. I don't expect AMD to catch up with big Navi, but maybe they Will have narrowed the gap enough to make me consider buying them instead.

Last edited:
My last GPU was $500 and that was pushing my budget; usually I’m in the $300 bracket and upgrade every other generation. I will say I have probably got my money’s worth out of that $500 card though, but I’m also two generations behind right now. I just have a really hard time throwing that much disposable income at a GPU.

My last GPU was $500 and that was pushing my budget; usually I’m in the $300 bracket and upgrade every other generation. I will say I have probably got my money’s worth out of that $500 card though, but I’m also two generations behind right now. I just have a really hard time throwing that much disposable income at a GPU.

Yeah, I used to be more of the "buy mid range, upgrade more frequently" mindset. I bought my first titan (2013 6GB GTX Titan) because I prematurely upgraded to 2560x1600 and needed something to keep me above 60fps, which was quite a feat at the time.

I had some buyers remorse at the $1000 price tag, but retrospectively I was actually impressed that financially it didn't work out as terribly as I had hoped. It may have been expensive, but it lasted almost 2.5 years in my system, longer than I've ever kept a GPU before, and then did an additional 3.5 years in my stepsons system pushing 1080p. In the end, despite the high up front investment, on a per year basis, I got my moneys worth.

Then I made the same mistake again, and prematurely upgraded to 4k. I briefly tried doing dual 980ti's but that was awful, so as soon as the Pascal Titan X launched, I bought it at $1,200. Again, buyers remorse up front, but I am still using it 4 years later which is an unthinkable record for me, so again, from a per year cost perspective, it's not that bad!

All that said, I think I have to draw the line at $1,200 on principle. I'm not spending any more than that. I don't care how great it is. It's been a while since I gave Team Red a try, could be fun!

$1000 is my hard limit. The price on cards is getting out of hand and touch with the rest of the components.

I would have bought a 2080Ti if they were priced a bit more reasonably, now I'm probably going to go to the 3000 series but if prices continue to rise I might skip it or go team red or blue.

I am committed to watercooling, so this is a real kick in the groin.
I skipped the 2000 generation because I knew RTX was not going to be mature, available or frankly worth the money over my 1080 Ti.
I had three screen surround, but I gave that up for a 32 inch curved monitor.
I don't know if I can stomach 1200 dollars.
I'm going to see what AMD does and what the benches for the various new RTX models show.
Big money on top of waterblock expense is getting crazy.

Where's Henry Ford when you need him... Build a bunch and sell them cheap ..

Nope, nah.
..., nope. Its the principle but also the money high tier cards are getting absurd. Yeah, this gen is definitely coming down to price performance... The measuring stick will be consoles I believe.
I think at 1500 AMD would have a huge opportunity. I am seriously doubting AMD will go above 999 for top end.
Also, I don't know about ' blows away' but ok ( assuming this is top tier card)

I just can't justify the cost. I want something to replace my 1080Ti, but I'll be damned if I'm paying more than $1000 for it. And what's out there now costs more than the $700 I paid for my 1080Ti with only a 5% performance improvement.

AMD has an opportunity here. I hope they capitalize on it.

$1000 is my hard limit. The price on cards is getting out of hand and touch with the rest of the components.

Yar, basically mine as well (though CAD, so closer to $800 USD). And this is only because I want to game comfortable at 4k60fps at decent settings (a 2080S is currently tasked with this).

I'm hoping that the next generation will bring pricing down for this segment. I liked when I gamed at 1080p, I was only spending $350-450 for a new GPU (usually every other year). Hoping we can get back to that point soon.

Actually I will offer this. If these new cards offer cores for AI processing, AND we get interactive applications that let us start teaching AI operations to handle simple functions of our day to day I will be MUCH more interested in these cards.

Can i set one up to login to servers and give me a list of servers with glaring issues to start like for some reason it couldn't be reached via RDP?

Can I build a communications checklist to run through to make sure that system ports are available as I set up in my firewall change?

Can I farm gold using an AI in the online MMO of my choice? (Gold Credits, whateverthefuckits)

Mostly can I play with this hardware and tool to do interesting, strange, and disturbing things?

I ask because for many of us in IT, AI is going to be the next thing to really understand.

There's just no way that I'd ever come close to spending $1500 for a video card. I get that they're enormously complex parts, but even these RTX 2xxx series prices are just absurd, especially considering that 15 years ago, the top video card was $500.

Besides pharmaceuticals, I cannot think of anything else that has tripled in price in the last 15 years.

My last two GPU's were Titan's, but honestly, at $1500 I'm out. This ever more expensive trend cannot continue. It does not matter what it is, or what it can do, I'm not spending $1500.

I won't accept any price increases at all over previous gen. They are already in ridiculous territory.

If I can't get the absolute top consumer model for $1200, I'm out. I'm not playing this game anymore.

If anything, we should be seeing price reductions. I don't expect AMD to catch up with big Navi, but maybe they Will have narrowed the gap enough to make me consider buying them instead.
Yeah its becoming a joke and it clearly seems to me as if they are doing exactly what you are implying, testing the waters and then shifting the prices once they feel everyone accepted it bitterly.

I'm honestly just waiting to see what happens with these new cards. I'm hoping they're cheaper than $1,500, but I highly doubt it. I'm perfectly happy with my 2080Ti, and was going to move that into my back up PC (currently running onboard graphics), but if the prices are out of whack then I may just buy something else and keep my current card in my main PC.

I made my last GPU purchase (used 1080ti) just when the 2080's were coming out and it has been a great value purchase. I also downsized my monitor from a 42in 4K (60hz) to my 27inch 1440p g-sync for a better overall experience.

Once these 3000 series cards are out, it may be an opportunity to go a used 2080ti, or perhaps to a 3080 if they are still in the 700-800 range. Going for a GPU over $1000 just does not seem prudent. It's not like I can't afford it, it's just too much for one component.

Yea I run 1440p as well. If a 3080 is the same price as a 2080super or whatever I might do that. Or knowing a super is coming I might just wait this time.

Become a Patron!
Back