Nvidia rumor mill, whats up?

LeRoy_Blanchard

Skillz
Staff member
I am in the market for a new GPU to replace my 3090. I've thought about buying a 4090, but I want one with a water block preinstalled. After going through the work of installing a water block on my 3090, I'd rather pay a premium to have it done for me.

So I went looking for 4090s that have water blocks on them already and nothing is out there from what I could find except for the used market. I see one company, INNO3D made one, but apparently its no longer in production as every place has it out of stock.

So, I guess my only option is for Nvidia to come out with a new flagship card and these companies slapping the water block on them for their limited runs.

Therefore, whats on the horizon for Nvidia and new GPUs?

Maybe it will be around the same time AMD comes out with it's new CPUs. So I can do a full system upgrade at once.

I've been debating adding a NVME water block to my water loop to keep it cool' specifically for the Gen5 drives. But I've read that the NAND chips like to run warm, while the controller is what gets too warm and causes the throttling. I wonder how I could utilize a water block to cool mostly the controller and not so much the NAND chips.

Maybe it will be around the same time AMD comes out with it's new CPUs. So I can do a full system upgrade at once.

I've been debating adding a NVME water block to my water loop to keep it cool' specifically for the Gen5 drives. But I've read that the NAND chips like to run warm, while the controller is what gets too warm and causes the throttling. I wonder how I could utilize a water block to cool mostly the controller and not so much the NAND chips.
I'm waiting till they upgrade the controllers to a new gen, instead of using overclocked Gen 4 controllers (seems to happen every generation...).

You'll note that Samsung hasn't jumped on the Gen 5 bandwagon yet, and that's when I will probably look at upgrading.

Actually I wasn't aware of them using overclocked Gen4 controllers. That would explain why heat is such an issue for them?

Actually I wasn't aware of them using overclocked Gen4 controllers. That would explain why heat is such an issue for them?
Seems to be. When they get that under control and start hitting closer to the theoretical 16GB/s transfer rate they'll likely be worth a closer look.

*This is not based on any official information*

My guess, is 5090 before 2024 is up, and maybe also 5080. More precisely? Maybe Q4 latest, maybe end of Q3 if they really want to stick it to everyone, but I would think that might be rushed.

Zen 5 should come soon. Something like july

No pressure on nvidia to release 5090 / 5080. Mostly last quarter

I've lost track of all the leakers but the ongoing rumor is, 5090 by the end of the year. Like Brent said though, this is not based on anything official. However, all the usual suspects for rumors have been saying the same for a while now.

The only real trick is even if that ends up being true is what will their availability be like. I'm holding out and recommend the same but also not expecting I'll be able to actually get one until Q1 25 due to scalping. I'm hoping that MSI does another like the 4090 Liquid Suprim X since that has been a fantastic card for me.

I'd agree on waiting, but I've seen 4090 FE cards for US$1599 at Nvidia's site and Best Buy going in and out of stock...

A 4080 FE might be a good stopgap, but I think personally I'm going to want a big-VRAM part next, and especially something that doesn't compromise on memory bandwidth as I'd like to explore high-refresh 4k (probably a 240Hz OLED) as well as super resolution, which currently challenges the 12GB 3080 I have.

16GB is fine for a while - 4080 has 16GB

Unless you are doing LLMs, 16GB is fine for gaming for a long while, probably until the PS6

Gaming isn't the only thing I do with my GPU and having a bunch of VRAM in some use cases is beneficial.

As for gaming, I game on 1x 4K monitor or 3x 4K monitors depending on the game. Need all I can get.

Become a Patron!
Back