NVIDIA SHIELD Gets Support for PlayStation 5 DualSense and Xbox Series X|S Controllers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-shield-tv-pro-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA’s SHIELD TV products have received a new update that brings PlayStation 5 DualSense and Xbox Series X|S controller support to the popular Android TV streaming media players. After updating to SHIELD Experience 8.2.2, DualSense owners may connect their controllers to the SHIELD by holding the PlayStation and Share/Clip buttons until the light pulses blue. Likewise, Xbox Series X|S controller users can connect their controllers by holding the pair button until the Xbox button blinks.

NVIDIA SHIELD has also received support for Control4’s home automation systems, which comprise smart lighting, home security, multi-room audio, and more. “Use your Control4 remote or app to navigate your SHIELD and even directly launch installed apps,” NVIDIA wrote. “Contact your...

Continue reading...

The best android TV box just keeps getting better.
Can't believe I have mine since 2015 and I see no reason to replace it, not even with the newer version.

Too bad both the remote and controller battery died but with CEC I can just use the tv remote.

I'm just amazed that the Shield still has a niche. A Roku is way cheaper for half the price and a USFF from HP, Lenovo, etc is a hell of a lot more capable for twice the price.

I'm just amazed that the Shield still has a niche. A Roku is way cheaper for half the price and a USFF from HP, Lenovo, etc is a hell of a lot more capable for twice the price.

And I have no idea what I would do with any of those devices. I read some reviews of said devices and I don't get what they are used for or even what they do.

I’ve been really tempted to get one just for GameStream, but then I remember exactly how much I used the Steam Link, and it was only like $10.

I will say, I did like the Steam Link, but the thing that turned me off was supported resolutions: if you weren’t running 1080p on your desktop it just kinda did whatever it wanted to with your game and desktop resolution (and I have never run 1080 - I went from 16:10 to 4K).

The Shield will supposedly stream at 4K, but I think my experience wouldn’t be all that much better than it was with the Steam Link

I have some friends that have Shields and they love them - but they mostly get used as Plex clients, and there are a lot of cheaper things that can do that.

You should really look into it a bit more. The Nvidia Shield is the best player if you want audio support, as it will passthrough/decode just about any format. Roku and most other streaming players can't pass through TrueHD or DTS-HD. Those USFF devices won't be as user friendly and honestly I'm not sure how robust their support is for video streaming and the various video/audio codecs.

The best android TV box just keeps getting better.
Can't believe I have mine since 2015 and I see no reason to replace it, not even with the newer version.

Too bad both the remote and controller battery died but with CEC I can just use the tv remote.
I’ve got two now, a 2017 and 2019 for two TV sets. Absolutely love them.

Game stream is ok, I rarely use it. The shield and Pc are hardwired on the same router but I still get some lag. And the fact that you can’t simply stream any game that GFE finds makes it a little annoying. They need an option to allow unofficially supported games at the flip of a switch.

You should really look into it a bit more. The Nvidia Shield is the best player if you want audio support, as it will passthrough/decode just about any format. Roku and most other streaming players can't pass through TrueHD or DTS-HD.

That just makes the Shield environment even more expensive and more and more of a niche product.

Those USFF devices won't be as user friendly and honestly I'm not sure how robust their support is for video streaming and the various video/audio codecs.

Most people these days are fairly familiar with one of the major desktop/laptop OS and the support is the same as for any other desktop with the chipset/processor found in them (very robust).

I’ve got two now, a 2017 and 2019 for two TV sets. Absolutely love them.

Game stream is ok, I rarely use it. The shield and Pc are hardwired on the same router but I still get some lag. And the fact that you can’t simply stream any game that GFE finds makes it a little annoying. They need an option to allow unofficially supported games at the flip of a switch.
I only used gamestream like a couple of times when it first came out. Worked really well actually, but I'd rather play on the PC anyway.

Geforce NOW on the other hand I use more regularly. I liked taking the shield when I travel, and as far as the internet connection is good, the experience is great. Now I can use geforcenow on my lap or even phone so its even better.

In fact, it has become my main gaming "rig", as I sold my GTX1070Ti and I'm waiting for the RTX3070 to be available.

Become a Patron!
Back