NVIDIA SHIELD Users Review-Bomb Google for Adding Advertisements to New Android TV Interface

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-shield-tv-new-home-screen-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA’s SHIELD TV devices recently received an Android TV Home update that not only introduced a slicker, revamped interface but something completely undesirable: advertisements that cannot be disabled. As one might expect, the surprise addition of ads hasn’t gone well with NVIDIA SHIELD owners at all, many of whom have taken out their anger on Google by review bombing its Android TV Home listing, which now sits at just a single star. The anger is understandable, being that NVIDIA SHIELD users paid three figures for a premium streaming device that was originally ad-free. NVIDIA’s SHIELD devices come in two flavors, the most expensive of which features 1 GB of additional memory (3 GB) and 8 GB of additional storage (16 GB) over the base model. Both units leverage an NVIDIA Tegra X1+ processor...

Continue reading...

I put mine up for sale last week after pitting it against the new AppleTV.

I put mine up for sale last week after pitting it against the new AppleTV.
And how is the AppleTV better if I may ask?

I don't really mind the ads, yes it was better before, but not that big of a deal really. Actually I'm surprised it took this long for them to appear.

That sucks. I don't mind some ads, but some apps, after 30 min pass and you have seen the same Toyota commercial 4 times in a row, or Quicken ads every two min in your kids fav cartoon.

After years of using the Shield TV (2017 & 2019) the Ads and re-done interface really piss me off. Feels like the last few years of a genuine ad-free experience were just a bait and switch.
They should have had the senses to leave the Shield TV alone.
I do not need to see iCarly ads and other crap I have no interest in. Its more infuriating because you can arrange your content as you like. I have mine tiered in terms of interest, but Google decided its content was worthy of going at the top and being unmodifiable which really annoys me.
Then you have them removing the left side menu where you could quickly open your apps.
Everything in these updates has been a negative in my opinion, not a single feature added to make any of this worth it.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back