NVIDIA Shows Off $20,000 Microsoft Flight Simulator Rig with Full Cockpit and Three OLED TVs

I've actually got one on pre-order but there were also some rumors a while back that Intel and NV were working to block them at one point too.

Here's the one I've got on order. ASUS ROG Strix G17 G713QR-ES96 , ETA somewhere around June. GPU performance is somewhere between a desktop RTX 2070/2080. CPU is Ryzen 9 8c/16t.
You mean the rumors that were inmediatly debunked by both intel and nvidia? come on man, its on the very same link you posted.

You mean the rumors that were inmediatly debunked by both intel and nvidia? come on man, its on the very same link you posted.
The fact that the rumors were 'debunked' by Intel and Nvidia only means that their respective legal teams were doing their due diligence.

It should be obvious that AMDs lack of penetration into the mobile space is directly related to their own level of effort: when you consider that Intel has developed entirely new platforms for mobile with unique packaging configurations and done extensive collaborations with major customers like Dell and Apple just to get things where they are now, it should be easy to understand that AMD showing up and saying 'hey guys we have CPUs too' isn't going to result in immediate wide-scale adoption.

AMD is going to have to do the legwork. Not as much as Intel has already done and they don't have to reinvent all the wheels (for which AMD can thank Intel), but definitely more than they've been doing.

Remember that when it comes to laptops that overall integration is extremely important when balancing performance and ergonomics. It's very easy to have something that's too hot, too noisy, too bulky, or too quick to eat through battery reserves untethered. Intel has that game down because they've been working it for decades; AMD had an entire decade of CPUs that were objectively unfit for anything that wasn't a budget laptop. Now that Zen has been fairly well massaged, we all expect AMD to make some inroads again, but it's really up to them to put in the work to get there.

Obviously but my original point was the NVIDIA doesn't often feature AMD in gaming PC builds they do. It's not uncommon to see enterprise collaborations but very rare on the consumer level. Seriously, how often have we seen them show off some kind of gaming machine in a press release and then say, oh by the way it has an AMD CPU in it? Sure Intel has the fastest clocks but that doesn't equate to the best value. If using a 3080 was a value decision there's plenty of options from AMD to do the job cheaper than the Intel processor used in that build.

The fact that the rumors were 'debunked' by Intel and Nvidia only means that their respective legal teams were doing their due diligence.

It should be obvious that AMDs lack of penetration into the mobile space is directly related to their own level of effort: when you consider that Intel has developed entirely new platforms for mobile with unique packaging configurations and done extensive collaborations with major customers like Dell and Apple just to get things where they are now, it should be easy to understand that AMD showing up and saying 'hey guys we have CPUs too' isn't going to result in immediate wide-scale adoption.

AMD is going to have to do the legwork. Not as much as Intel has already done and they don't have to reinvent all the wheels (for which AMD can thank Intel), but definitely more than they've been doing.

Remember that when it comes to laptops that overall integration is extremely important when balancing performance and ergonomics. It's very easy to have something that's too hot, too noisy, too bulky, or too quick to eat through battery reserves untethered. Intel has that game down because they've been working it for decades; AMD had an entire decade of CPUs that were objectively unfit for anything that wasn't a budget laptop. Now that Zen has been fairly well massaged, we all expect AMD to make some inroads again, but it's really up to them to put in the work to get there.
As you mentioned, up until very recently, AMD has become a worthy mobile gaming option. That's why OEMs payed little attention to it, besides Intel invest heavily and collaborates with nvidia to develop mobile gaming platforms. AMD doesn't. I mean, they barely invests in their own platforms.

I recall a reddit that claimed AMD "induced" OEMs to favor full AMD gaming laptops instead of "mixed" solutions. So there's that.

BTW intel/nvidia debunking the rumors also means they are false. Otherwise we would have seen further reports that confirmed them, the story quickly died.

As you mentioned, up until very recently, AMD has become a worthy mobile gaming option. That's why OEMs payed little attention to it, besides Intel invest heavily and collaborates with nvidia to develop mobile gaming platforms. AMD doesn't. I mean, they barely invests in their own platforms.

I recall a reddit that claimed AMD "induced" OEMs to favor full AMD gaming laptops instead of "mixed" solutions. So there's that.

BTW intel/nvidia debunking the rumors also means they are false. Otherwise we would have seen further reports that confirmed them, the story quickly died.
I read the same. Bottom line is that on all sides of the fence there can decisions favoring certain build choices.

AMD has become a worthy mobile gaming option
'Gaming' laptops are a niche. They're subpar next to gaming desktops for actually putting frames on the screen, and almost universally subpar when it comes to creature comforts and ruggedness. If you want an example of good gaming laptops you have to go to Razer, who charges Apple prices for the privilege!

Seriously, I went with the XPS 15 because the equivalent (well, faster, but closest without compromise) Razer laptop was another US grand, and I still wasn't sold on Razer's quality control and customer service. At least Dell has customer service.

So keep that in mind when considering AMDs 'worthiness' here. Yes, their CPUs themselves are 'fit' and you do actually see them in 'gaming' laptops, but you don't see their CPUs in leading 'nicer' consumer and business laptops. And that's a problem for AMD to fix.

besides Intel invest heavily and collaborates with nvidia to develop mobile gaming platforms.
I wouldn't have believed this was likely until I did the research for my current laptop. Bar none, AMD consumer GPUs are ill-suited for anything that's not a dedicated gaming build, laptop or otherwise, and that includes their APUs. Many reviewers reported crashiness with content-creation suites, something I've experienced myself with an RX460, and ignoring AMDs successful effort to ensure that drivers for their consumer GPUs will not load on Windows Server (and I mean cannot load any drivers for the cards), forums are rife with complaints of laptops with AMD GPUs not playing well with integrated graphics even when the integrated graphics are also AMD. Like, what?

We can call Intel's and Nvidia's efforts 'heavy investment and collaboration', but if that's what it takes just to make things work, well, I'm glad Intel and Nvidia did it, and I'm steering clear of AMD in mobile until they can get their act together.

And let me say this: I didn't go down this line of research because I wanted to prove that AMD had a problem, or to back up whatever bias I might have, I did it because I wanted to buy a content-creation laptop with an AMD APU. And I found out that in general, such laptops with anything approaching my requirements for a laptop are very hard to find, but also that it was just plain a bad idea.

I'd have accepted a laptop with an Nvidia dGPU and AMD CPU (no graphics) if that were a real option, but again, such configurations aren't often found in laptop chassis that check all of the other boxes. And let me tell you I'm not putting up with a crappy touchpad or keyboard. I use terrible KVM trays at work and the micro-touchpads that Dell still thinks are acceptable on their Latitudes, I'm not putting up with those on a personal system where I actually have a choice.

I'd be fine with this if their own house was in order. I'd honestly prefer it.
This is the opposite of logic: since the rumors were negative, the 'debunking' should be expected no matter what reality is. Further, the lack of follow up can only show that there wasn't enough 'meat' to the story in the eyes of the press to be worth putting more effort into. It does not mean that there isn't more to the story, just that those who would have dug in to it did not see the ROI.

Worse, there's really no way that we should ever be allowed to know the truth. Such 'collusion' appears to run afoul of antitrust laws and that's all the SEC needs to make a stink about it. If it happened or is happening, at the very least we should expect any information that could be used to prove it is very tightly controlled by those complicit.

I read the same. Bottom line is that on all sides of the fence there can decisions favoring certain build choices.
The biggest problem I have with these conspiracy theories is that they tend to ignore the very obvious explanations in their quest for the sensational.

It's not good journalism, but it is effective when the business is underwritten by advertising dollars that are generated through viewer traffic. I'd be more concerned about it if there were a viable alternative, but if I knew one, I'd be using it myself!

It's not good journalism, but it is effective when the business is underwritten by advertising dollars that are generated through viewer traffic. I'd be more concerned about it if there were a viable alternative, but if I knew one, I'd be using it myself!
Too true and each company will paint itself the way it wants to with PR. They don't even have to use words or slogans when doing so. A product placement here, an image of something there, and the rest become almost subliminal advertising without ever having to make a tangible statement or stance.

Become a Patron!
Back