NVIDIA Studio Driver vs. GeForce Game Ready Driver Performance

I knew what these were, but figured they would be terrible for games and great for things like 3D Studio Max and Photoshop where there is GPU acceleration. This reminds me of the old days where people would buy GeForce cards which were hardware wise, nearly identical to their Quadro counterparts and then soft mod them into Quadro's.

What comes across most, there is no need for the 2 separate branches, they perform almost identically.
If anything their roles should be reversed, most games are faster with the studio and most creative apps are faster with the gaming driver.
lol.

Great and timely review!

I was just on there downloading fresh drives after the news of a host of exploits being patched and wondered exactly the question this review poses.

Thanks!

Thanks for the testing/review guys. I'd always wondered how effective the studio/creator drivers are for what they're intended but also wondered about their effects on games. Now all my questions are answered. Thanks!

Thanks for the testing/review guys. I'd always wondered how effective the studio/creator drivers are for what they're intended but also wondered about their effects on games. Now all my questions are answered. Thanks!
Yeah, same deal with me, I wuz wondering about the same things. Interesting that the studio drivers actually gave a 1% performance increase in some games.

Thanks a ton for the testing Brent! Appreciate the work and the info. The new site is already coming along very nicely guys.

What comes across most, there is no need for the 2 separate branches, they perform almost identically.
If anything their roles should be reversed, most games are faster with the studio and most creative apps are faster with the gaming driver.
lol.
I was thinking the same thing. Not enough of a difference to separate the two.

I was thinking the same thing. Not enough of a difference to separate the two.

Wouldn't this depend on the release schedule and games you play though? Looking at the release history of the studio driver over the course of this year, you'll see that each Studio driver has at least three Game Ready drivers released in between. If you're not playing games that would require the higher driver level or games that are new, then the Studio path should be just fine.

Wouldn't this depend on the release schedule and games you play though? Looking at the release history of the studio driver over the course of this year, you'll see that each Studio driver has at least three Game Ready drivers released in between. If you're not playing games that would require the higher driver level or games that are new, then the Studio path should be just fine.
I dont recall the last time I saw a game ready driver change the performance of a game more than the margin of error, compared with the previous driver.
Have you noticed any?
(I havent bought many games this year so that might figure, but I read reviews)

I dont recall the last time I saw a game ready driver change the performance of a game more than the margin of error, compared with the previous driver.
Have you noticed any?

I'd have to page @Brent_Justice to answer that question.

Though, with Battlefield V, I have been prompted to upgrade my driver every so often - won't run without the update. I would imagine other AAA games may do similar things.

Have you noticed any?
I'd say that the RTX line has had some noticeable gains with subsequent driver releases relating to DLSS/RT features. I saw improvements with Battlefield, Metro, and SOTTR over the course of 2-3 drivers after game release.

Just adding that before the RTX line it wasn't uncommon, over time, for drivers to improve SLI performance but, ironically enough, given even more time they'd eventually bork it at some point too. I saw many ups and downs with Witcher 3 from 2015-2018 and my SLI rigs. Glad that's over with ;)

I haven't seen much difference in most driver releases either as mentioned.

Very helpful.

I have been having problems with the latest drivers and was going to go back to 430.6 which was stable for me, no wonder they used it for the "more stable" studio drivers.

I my as well just get the studio drivers instead since they seem to be better than the game ready 430.6

Hopefully its not crucial to get 440 for the new call of duty

Become a Patron!
Back