NZXT Pulls H1 Case Over Renewed Safety Concerns

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
nzxt-h1-case-1024x576.jpg
Image: NZXT

NZXT CEO Johnny Hou has posted a statement on his company’s website regarding an ongoing safety issue with the H1 case, which features a PCIe Gen3 riser cable that can potentially short and create a fire due to its proximity to case screw mounts. NZXT attempted to address this by swapping out the metal screws with nylon ones, but this doesn’t prevent someone from using the former.

The nylon screws were not the complete solution for the H1 fire hazard; they didn’t address the root cause of the issue. We didn’t account for scenarios where someone could replace the nylon screws with metal ones unknowingly. Our execution did not live up to the quality that our community has come...

Continue reading...

I get that a potential fire hazard is bad, but I was trying to follow GN's coverage and at some point you have to think that you have a better chance at winning the lotery then your pc going up in flames in this chassis.

Ehhh not that minimal at all. If it were that rare their chances of recreating it would be next to zero.

They should have pulled it for bad thermals months ago.

Screw hole straight through the PCB with no protection. What were the engineers thinking? I am not an electrical engineer, but even I would have been able to say that this was a bad idea.

I mean that PCB is just really bad and this move was needed. Steve's video really nailed it down in my opinion and kudos to him for making an impact here.

Nylon screws are definitely the wrong solution. They need to redesign the riser such that there are no conducting points that can come in contact with anything that can cause a problem.

All that said, the modern trend of display mounting the GPU is completely.moronic and does nothing but add more potential problem points.

Risers are almost always problematic, unless they are the hard mounted enterprise server variety.

Nylon screws are definitely the wrong solution. They need to redesign the riser such that there are no conducting points that can come in contact with anything that can cause a problem.

All that said, the modern trend of display mounting the GPU is completely.moronic and does nothing but add more potential problem points.

Risers are almost always problematic, unless they are the hard mounted enterprise server variety.
Yeah that's why I've stayed away from them for now. I like the idea of moving the GPU but it has to be done correctly. I always say that a solution is only truly a solution when it doesn't create new problems and from the riser to the screws, neither fulfilled that requirement.

Yeah that's why I've stayed away from them for now. I like the idea of moving the GPU but it has to be done correctly. I always say that a solution is only truly a solution when it doesn't create new problems and from the riser to the screws, neither fulfilled that requirement.

Just don't buy a cheap riser cable. I know plenty of people with their cards on risers, myself included, that have not had any issues.

Become a Patron!
Back