Oculus Users Who Delete Their Linked Facebook Accounts Will Lose All Purchases, Achievements, and Store Credits

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
oculus-quest-2-vr-headset-controllers-1024x576.jpg
Image: Oculus

Facebook’s acquisition of Oculus is getting worse by every day.

We previously shared a story about how mandatory Facebook account sign-ups were turning Quest 2 headsets into $299 paperweights for myriad users, but now, new reports that prove how ridiculous the social media integration is are pouring in.

Users who have tried deleting their Facebook accounts have discovered an updated message (via UploadVR) warning them that doing so will remove all of their Oculus content. This includes app purchases (many of which cost money, obviously), as well as achievements. Additionally, users will lose all of...

Continue reading...

How to kill a brand, by facebook, A new york times bestseller now out on toilet paperback.

I've never been happier about not purchasing something. I almost got an oculus months before the facebook account requirement was announced.

I don't have any chance of messing with VR due to the hardware I have even if I decided to mess with it. But I knew once Facebook got hold of Oculus it was basically dead. There was no way that acquisition was going to work out for anyone invested into that VR platform. Facebook is a datamining and dataselling company and there was no way it wasn't going to lock down and force the same stuff on the hardware side one way or another.

Let's all nod and pretend that if we deleted our steam accounts that all of our steam games and steam vr would work just fine.

Well I imagine if you deleted your account with any company that has a physical product it'll either stop working and/or you'll stop receiving support.

Why is this even news? Want to keep using the Oculus. Don't delete your account.

Not to mention how long exactly before some enterprising coders figure out how to make it work without a Facebook account?

Well I guess I won't be getting an Oculus, because I don't have a dang Facebook all in your business account and refuse to get one.

I simply stopped using my Rift, now I dont need to worry.
F*** them.
My next VR purchase wont be anything to do with them.

I don't have any chance of messing with VR due to the hardware I have even if I decided to mess with it. But I knew once Facebook got hold of Oculus it was basically dead. There was no way that acquisition was going to work out for anyone invested into that VR platform. Facebook is a datamining and dataselling company and there was no way it wasn't going to lock down and force the same stuff on the hardware side one way or another.
There were those of us who were outspoken about this when the acquisition was first announced all those years ago, but people just stuck their fingers in their ears. People were adamant that this was a good thing because VR needed a huge investor to break into the mainstream. And now this move is going to make this wave of VR fade back into obscurity even faster.

Not to mention how long exactly before some enterprising coders figure out how to make it work without a Facebook account?
Even if someone hacks one version all it takes for them is to push an update that breaks the hack.
Plus easiest way to prevent cracking it is to do an important part of the process server side. Or like when GTAV was hacked just threaten the creator with a huge lawsuit and any site that hosts the crack.

IMO it's not worth it anyway. VR is not a necessity I can live without it, and if they want to make it hard to live with it, then the choice is obvious.

Become a Patron!
Back