OLED Laptop Screens anymore?

IceDigger

Quasi-regular
I have a Alienware 13 laptop at my shop with a gorgeous OLED screen.

How come we have not seen any amazing screens like this on laptops since. I found one single lenovo that had an oled screen around that time but nothing else since.

Kinda sad. I would definetly pay more for that.

I agree OLED should be more of a standard now or at least on a vast majority of the big brands.

Here's one: https://www.razer.com/Gaming-System/Razer-Blade-C2/p/RZ09-02887E52-R3U1?gclid=CjwKCAjw583nBRBwEiwA7MKvoL6JNuxFlu8-qoIMU9ara0KT0ugs7vDhxv9GaNO_g28kE3BJFQg2HRoCvn4QAvD_BwE#fo_c=2913&fo_k=43869fd0d373d47600c518b24c43000d&fo_s=gplaus?utm_source=google&utm_medium=google-shopping&utm_campaign=_RS_Systems BU_BTM_US__TR

Have to say that laptop screens often seem like their picked by someone outside the engineering team that designs a laptop. 15.6" 4k ?!?-why. Putting a 4k screen to a 1060/1070/2060 is another why? How about FreeSync or G-Sync @1440P/120hz or 144hz? From the days of the first desktop 980's to 1080/2070 & now 2080's they should all be matched to a variable refresh in my opinion. I know most of these do exist now but often you really have to look to find them. Just for kicks I scrounge thru NewEgg and other places just to read some reviews. Hardly ever easy to find though.

Things are getting better but the last 3-5 years have been pretty rough in that department.

Edit here's another that was posted yesterday and yet again another 15.6".

I'm a gamer so I approach laptop's in that state of mind but for those are looking for crisp pictures or browsing the internet, or perhaps office related items, then these seemed geared towards that. But then again, at 15.6" my old eyes would feel pretty worn out look at something that small for too long and again a GTX1650?, obviously not a gaming a machine.

Yea, I agree that 4k screens are not a good idea for laptops. 1080p really is the sweet spot.

Yea, I agree that 4k screens are not a good idea for laptops. 1080p really is the sweet spot.

I've got a 15.6" 4k Lenovo P1 on its way from China right now, arriving Tuesday. I'm still hoping the 4k option was a good idea, though, this one will be for productivity and not necessarily gaming...

I know everyone really likes to crap all over Apple, but I have to admit that Retina does make a difference to my old eyes. Nothing to do with gaming at all (I don't game on my MBP), but text/graphics look significantly sharper.

Now, Retina isn't the exact same thing as 4K, but it is about PPI. I wouldn't want to downgrade to 1080, even if my usable desktop space remains relatively unchanged, because it doesn't look nearly as good.

I really wish Windows scaling was anywhere near as good. It's got a lot better with Win10 in recent times and it isn't totally horrible anymore, but it's certainly not OS X level.

I totally agree about OLED though. I sort of hope the rumor about the 16" OLED MBP is true, but then again, I sort of don't, as I know it would probably be beyond my means to afford one at that size.

From my understanding no OLED screen has a warranty against burn in and PC use is a worst case scenario.
They likely have limited maximum power to the screen to mitigate.
Probably a lower limit on brightness than OLED TVs for HDR to reduce problems.
As long as you are happy with the warranty and max brightness with HDR (and price), go for it.

Its worth noting HDR on OLED TVs is already limited in quality by the use of white OLEDs to boost the brightness over 400nits, instead of full colour OLEDs.
This laptop will need to employ the same tactic unless a new more powerful/longer lived OLED is in production.
ie colours will not be as rich as they could be with HDR.

ps
According to this
HDR can only be used for video not gaming.
Probably due to my above reasoning.

pps
One reason it is UHD not 1080p is probably because there are very few 1080p HDR panels.

From my understanding no OLED screen has a warranty against burn in and PC use is a worst case scenario.
They likely have limited maximum power to the screen to mitigate.
Probably a lower limit on brightness than OLED TVs for HDR to reduce problems.
As long as you are happy with the warranty and max brightness with HDR (and price), go for it.

Its worth noting HDR on OLED TVs is already limited in quality by the use of white OLEDs to boost the brightness over 400nits, instead of full colour OLEDs.
This laptop will need to employ the same tactic unless a new more powerful/longer lived OLED is in production.
ie colours will not be as rich as they could be with HDR.

ps
According to this
HDR can only be used for video not gaming.
Probably due to my above reasoning.

pps
One reason it is UHD not 1080p is probably because there are very few 1080p HDR panels.

Thanks. I didn't know about the HDR limitations of OLED. Makes me even more happy I didn't jump on one yet and opted for the Z9D this past winter.

Become a Patron!
Back