Overclocking NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Founders Edition

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Founders Edition, launched in November 2022, is the follow-up to the GeForce RTX 4090, one step-down, down but still offering great 4K performance. In today’s overclocking review, we are going to overclock the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Founders Edition video card and see what kind of performance uplift you […]

See full article...

I can't remember where I read it but I do remember someone saying sometime before the 40 series launch that NVIDIA's dynamic boost had reached a point where OC gains would be at a minimum for this gen. It was something to the effect that there's not even much for board partners to squeeze out with custom models. This card is definitely an example of that. Granted, it's been getting that way for a while now but this might be the least we've seen in around 10 years. Even with my 4090 I usually keep it just under 2900 and that's only ~100 more than the out-of-the-box settings. Still a fun ride though. I'd say the other big take away is the power efficiency of these GPUs in comparison to Ampere. It's almost like night and day.

CPUs and GPUs are coming factory maxed now; there's still value in tuning, and still some performance on the table, but it comes with significant exploratory testing.

Which is why we give them to Brent to test :D

I remember the time when my Geforce3 TI200 overclocked and performed better than my friends Geforce 3 Ti500.

IMO OC has been dead for years, you don't get much more performance since GPUs are already maxxed out to begin with.

Its really not worth the higher temps and powerdraw.

And that applies to CPUs too.

I remember the time when my Geforce3 TI200 overclocked and performed better than my friends Geforce 3 Ti500.

IMO OC has been dead for years, you don't get much more performance since GPUs are already maxxed out to begin with.

Its really not worth the higher temps and powerdraw.

And that applies to CPUs too.
Man I remember those candy bar celerons... overclocked like a BEAST.

...but did you have a Golden Orb on it?

:D
The golden orb....
1674189896677.jpeg

7845zs.jpg

Overclocking is dead unless you are using exotic cooling methods. DI or LN2. Even on high end custom water the gains are minimal. OEM's aren't leaving anything on the table anymore. And people aren't so quick to apply a custom firmware to remove the power, voltage and temp limits on the $1000+ GPU's.

Become a Patron!
Back