Paramount Announces 4K Restoration of Star Trek: The Motion Picture for Paramount+

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
star-trek-the-motion-picture-poster-1024x576.jpg
Image: Paramount Pictures

Paramount has revealed that it is working on a complete restoration of the director’s edition of the 1979 Star Trek film, Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Launching with an exclusive window on its Paramount+ streaming service, Paramount’s restoration of Star Trek: The Motion Picture is expected to take six to eight months to complete and be undertaken by producer David C. Fein, restoration supervisor Mike Matessino, and visual effects supervisor Daren R. Dochterman. All of these individuals had worked with Star Trek: The Motion Picture’s original director, Robert Wise. The film will be presented in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision HDR and a new Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

The restoration will be undertaken by producer David C. Fein, restoration supervisor Mike Matessino, and visual effects supervisor Daren R. Dochterman, all of whom worked...

Continue reading...

I imagine plenty of people are skeptical of '4k' remasters, and I'd like to remind them that 35mm film really did have enough resolution for 4k... if shot well.

Same with sound, actually.

But with remasters, the bigger potential gain is in the process of remastering itself, more than any transport upgrade for audio or video. Done well, this remaster will still look and sound better on a decent 1080p set with stereo speakers too.

"Paramount Home Entertainment and CBS Home Entertainment announced on Thursday that the first four Star Trek films will be released in a newly remastered format later this year.

Just in time to commemorate the 55th anniversary of the airing of the very first Star Trek episode, the four films will release in 4K Ultra HD. All four films are newly remastered from original elements to ensure optimal picture quality, and each film is presented with Dolby Vision and HDR-10 support. The bundle includes Star Trek: The Motion Picture , Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan , Star Trek III: The Search for Spock , and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home , and includes four Ultra HD discs, as well as four Blu-ray Discs with hours of previously released bonus content.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture , Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (both the theatrical and director’s cut), Star Trek III: The Search for Spock , and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home are presented on both the 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray Discs, along with access to digital copies of the theatrical version of each film."

Not just the first one

Tempting, but after what they did with disco and pickard I really don't want to give them money.

Isn't this the most boring movie ever made? Iirc I saw it once decades ago and got so bored I never watched another star trek movie until the recent-ish reboot.

"Paramount Home Entertainment and CBS Home Entertainment announced on Thursday that the first four Star Trek films will be released in a newly remastered format later this year.

Just in time to commemorate the 55th anniversary of the airing of the very first Star Trek episode, the four films will release in 4K Ultra HD. All four films are newly remastered from original elements to ensure optimal picture quality, and each film is presented with Dolby Vision and HDR-10 support. The bundle includes Star Trek: The Motion Picture , Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan , Star Trek III: The Search for Spock , and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home , and includes four Ultra HD discs, as well as four Blu-ray Discs with hours of previously released bonus content.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture , Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (both the theatrical and director’s cut), Star Trek III: The Search for Spock , and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home are presented on both the 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray Discs, along with access to digital copies of the theatrical version of each film."

Not just the first one
Yep, I was reading some tidbits over at The Digital Bits that either an announcement or actual 4Kreleases is supposed to happen between fall/holidays for all the original films. Further rumors point to the director cuts for the first two coming around Q1 2022.

edit: I was reading that about a week or two ago, when it was considered rumored, so you got the official announcement here.

Looks like they are only going to remaster the odd numbers so they can get those sales numbers up, since the even numbers did ok without remasters.

Isn't this the most boring movie ever made? Iirc I saw it once decades ago and got so bored I never watched another star trek movie until the recent-ish reboot.
Then you only missed the star trek movies worth watching, LOL.

Although I loved the original Motion Picture, I must've watched once every two weeks on VHS when I was around 10. But I understand that it is not for everyone. It's more like Space Odyssey than Star Wars.

Even as a OG Trek fan I can barely stand to watch this one. I did see part of it many times as a child. Was one of like 4 VHS tapes we had, and my mom apparently got bored and changed the channel halfway through, guess she forgot she was recording it. So I've seen the first half about 30 times but the entire movie maybe twice. I tried maybe 10-15 years ago and fell asleep halfway through, LOL

The bald chick is hot.....

Was, that was 42 years ago when I saw it in the theater..... and she died in 98.

Can't have nuthin nice.....

Is this the one that had Kirstie Alley when she was kinda hot?

Become a Patron!
Back