PCIe 5.0 SSD Heat Sink Fan Hits 48.4 dBA During Testing

Yeah, that's going to be a nope for me.

I hated the chipset fan on my gigabyte motherboard.

I'm OK with large slow case/radiator fans, but I'm not adding small fast fans to any of my system components.

If I have to I'll get creative with small water blocks but even that irks me as they will make loops more complex, and reduce flow.

THey need to get their **** together. RAM and SSD's shouldn't need big loud cooling implementations.
My Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro Wifi chipset fan has probably never even turned on so I don't even know what it would sound like. It did turn on once because I made it turn on to make sure it worked when I first got the board but that's it. I couldn't even tell you what it sounded like since I put it back to default settings as soon as I knew it came on.

What's the point of getting creative with water blocks? The easiest, cheapest and least stupid thing to do is simply avoid Gen 5 NVMEs until and unless they manage to make the things so they don't need active cooling.

And what is the problem that it would need active cooling in the first place? Is it the flash itself or like almost all other NVMEs, the controller running hot?

Become a Patron!
Back