Phil Spencer Doesn’t See a Need for an Xbox Series X Pro: “We’re Set on the Hardware We Have”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
An Xbox Series X with upgraded hardware isn't in development, according to Phil Spencer, who talked with Bloomberg News after yesterday's Xbox Games Showcase and stated that he didn't "feel an imperative" to release new hardware. “That’s not the feedback we’re getting right now,” Spencer explained, going on to clarify that Microsoft is "pretty set on the hardware" that's currently available. Sony, on the other hand, is rumored to be working on a PlayStation 5 Pro.

See full article...

. . .and then almost simultaneously it's announced that Starfield will be locked at 30 fps. Am I the only one who sees a disconnect with this?

"At some point, not to get all geeky about it, there's render time per frame, and teams can either way to go horizontal or deep on a frame. It's a creative choice," Spencer said. "We obviously have games that are running 4k/60[fps] on the platform; it's not a platform issue. ... I trust what [Bethesda's] decisions they make and I trust what I'm playing."

Am I the only one who sees a disconnect with this?
~If~ Sony comes out with a PS5 Pro and it does anything close to reasonably well, I give it 95% certainty that Microsoft has a competing "Pro" console out within a calendar year.

But yeah, what Denpepe nand others are saying, MS can't come out and publicly say a Pro is in the works, because it will utterly destroy current S sales (which are the about half of their current gen sales by what I can glean from estimates) and significantly slow X sales.

Lets be real guys. The series X IS the pro model and the Series S is the mainstream consumer model.
True. There will probably be a new X model. MS can claim that it is a new gen console so that game devs no longer need to support the current S

MS screwed themselves a bit on this one allegedly, series x reads like a beast, yet the frequent news about having to kneecap performance due to series s is a bit worrisome. I do wonder how real this problem really is though.

Become a Patron!
Back