Philips Announces 27-Inch 4K HDR Monitor Designed for Xbox

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
philips-momentum-4k-hdr-display-with-ambliglow-279m1rv-front-1024x576.jpg
Image: Philips

Philips has announced a new addition to its Momentum line of gaming monitors designed for Xbox. The product line covers many bases for both console and PC gamers with premium features such as 4K resolution, HDR, and variable refresh rates. It seeks to fill the gap between gaming displays and televisions as modern consoles adopt more PC-centric display options.

The new 279M1RV is based on an LG Nano IPS panel and checks off many boxes for gamers seeking a smaller, 27-inch display. It is capable of 4K VRR @ 120 Hz via HDMI 2.1 and up to 144 Hz via DisplayPort 1.4. NVIDIA G-SYNC has limited support through DisplayPort, with an active range of 60 Hz to 144 Hz. The panel covers 98 percent of the DCI-P3 color gamut and...

Continue reading...

Probably OK for a kids room or dorm.
Too true. I often forget about that kind of dynamic. These days I'm usually thinking bigger but there are definitely situations where that isn't really an option. The downside is that a 1440p would serve better at 27" or less but it's almost impossible to find all the other options once you leave the 4K arena(i.e. HDR, HDMI 2.1, etc.).

Who wants to play a console game on a 27" screen? What is this, 1986?
I would have loved a 27" as a kid, better then my 14" portable TV, at least I had my PS 1 sound plugged to my stereo to use as a CD player so I had at least good sound in games.

I would have loved a 27" as a kid, better then my 14" portable TV, at least I had my PS 1 sound plugged to my stereo to use as a CD player so I had at least good sound in games.
27" was the size of the TV in our living room as a kid. It weighed like 150lbs - a Zenith with a Walnut cabinet.

27" was the size of the TV in our living room as a kid. It weighed like 150lbs - a Zenith with a Walnut cabinet.
That's what I mean. Back in the day, a 27" color console TV was the ****. These days, 40"+ TV's are extremely cheap. Even monitors over 32" aren't that bad. I just can't wrap my head around wanting to game on a 27" monitor using a console.

That's what I mean. Back in the day, a 27" color console TV was the ****. These days, 40"+ TV's are extremely cheap. Even monitors over 32" aren't that bad. I just can't wrap my head around wanting to game on a 27" monitor using a console.
Why would it be specific to consoles?
Not everyone wants the couch experience. I prefer to play on a desktop, regardless of what the system is. And for a desktop experience on a 16:9 screen 27 is kind of the ideal size. I know you use a 40+ screen for desktop, I've tried it and it was my worst nightmare. Immediately went back to guess what, a 27" 144Hz display. There is no one size fits all.

Yeah, I don't think this product is targeting the living room console crowd.

I'd definitely say that monitor size is absolutely a "to each their own kind" of thing. I'm a total display junkie and have 3 rigs in three different rooms. One of them is also in the living room and connected to a tv in the center of the room and then a desktop that's offset to the side of the room. Between all of them, there's a laptop on a desktop connected to a 29.5" 21:9, 49" 32:9, LG C9, and then one in the 'cave' that's connected to both a Sony Z9D and a 27" 1440p. My old displays were both 3D 27" Asus, a 1080p and 1440p and I gamed on them for the better part of a decade.

In the middle of all that madness was a 31.5" LG Cinema 4k display that was my first 4K display. Needless to say, I've tried a lot so I can understand how each person has different tastes for what they use. Even with all of those, it doesn't include the plethora of 1080p and 4K tv's that became gifts to friends and family when I upgraded. Sad to say though, even with all of these, I still haven't found that perfect fit. On the plus side though, I've zero desire to upgrade to 8K which means more funds for GPUs and rigs.

Probably OK for a kids room or dorm.
My roommate and I put a 30" TV in our Dorm Room, and it was honestly too big but we made it work. Of course, this was 2001, so that was a 30" tube TV. I'm not sure I would have been able to cram a 40" LCD in there either, because what we would have saved in depth we would have lost in width.

My roommate and I put a 30" TV in our Dorm Room, and it was honestly too big but we made it work. Of course, this was 2001, so that was a 30" tube TV. I'm not sure I would have been able to cram a 40" LCD in there either, because what we would have saved in depth we would have lost in width.
16:9 and 4:3 have much different profile too. I think the older 4:3 sets were bigger for the same diagonal measurement. Today's 16:9 seem to be smaller -- wider, for certain, and a lot thinner and lighter, but not nearly as tall and a 27" 4:3 just "feels" a lot bigger than a 27" 16:9.

16:9 didn't get popular until well into the plasma/LCD set era. Not to say a CRT 16:9 didn't exist, but I don't recall seeing any (most I saw of the older sets were projection).

I'm sure someone with a math degree could probably prove or disprove that, but I haven't had enough coffee.

Why would it be specific to consoles?
Not everyone wants the couch experience. I prefer to play on a desktop, regardless of what the system is. And for a desktop experience on a 16:9 screen 27 is kind of the ideal size. I know you use a 40+ screen for desktop, I've tried it and it was my worst nightmare. Immediately went back to guess what, a 27" 144Hz display. There is no one size fits all.
It's not, but a focus on consoles is literally in the article heading and in the body of the article itself. At 27", even sitting at a desk chair I think 27" is a bit small for a gaming monitor. When it comes to pure gaming, bigger is nearly always better. Sure, something too large for you to take in all at once isn't necessarily ideal, but 27" just seems small for a monitor with a console focus.

Make all the arguments you want on a PC monitor, that's fine. But that's another topic entirely. For a console focus, this seems silly to me.

My 27" monitor is just fine for me when I am playing mouse+keyboard games, and for general PC use, but when I am using a controller, somehow 27" just seems too small. My HDTV is 37" and I can't make out much on that either. In my old entertainment center setup, I sat closer so the 37" was fine for years, but now my TV is higher up and I sit farther away, and 37" is just too dang small now. I can't make out fine details, and sh1t in general is harder to see. I'm long overdue for an HDTV upgrade (mine is from 2009), and an increase in size is definitely a part of that. I sit about 7 feet away from my HDTV now, and I'm thinking 50"-55" would work out much better for me. I sit about 2-2.5 feet away from my monitor, and 27" has been great for that.

I wonder how good these guides are:

EDIT: I forgot I sold a 27" monitor to a friend earlier this year, and he's been using it with his XB1X and loving it. It's supposed to be for his new PC, but the new PC hasn't happen yet cuz the PC market is all kinds of f*cked up, but he's been making good use of the monitor with his consoles. Plus he said it works out better for him cuz he doesn't always wanna play his sh1t out in the living room, he likes to play in his own room. His room is much smaller, and a 27" display takes up much less space than an HDTV would. Not to mention their living room HDTV fell over and has a cracked screen (still works though). It's cool that he's fine with it, but I would not want to make a 27" screen my main display for console gaming.

Back in high school I was gaming on a 20" CRT TV. Don't ever want to go back to that. Haha I used to think that was a decent size. In my college dorm I had a 13" CRT TV, but I mainly used my PC's 19" CRT monitor for consoles when possible (such as using a VGA adapter for Dreamcast). Later in college I got a 27" CRT, and all my CRTs since have been at least that size. My game room currently has a 32" CRT. That actually feels too big haha. But my 37" HDTV, naw, it feels too small now after 12 years. Most of my friends were rollin' with 40" or higher since the late 2000s, and these days they're on 60" and up. I've gotten quite used to screens of those sizes now.

Last edited:
My 27" monitor is just fine for me when I am playing mouse+keyboard games, and for general PC use, but when I am using a controller, somehow 27" just seems too small. My HDTV is 37" and I can't make out much on that either. In my old entertainment center setup, I sat closer so the 37" was fine for years, but now my TV is higher up and I sit farther away, and 37" is just too dang small now. I can't make out fine details, and sh1t in general is harder to see. I'm long overdue for an HDTV upgrade (mine is from 2009), and an increase is size is definitely a part of that. I sit about 7 feet away from my HDTV now, and I'm thinking 50"-55" would work out much better for me. I sit about 2-2.5" away from my monitor, and 27" has been great for that.

I wonder how good these guides are:
[/URL]
[/URL]
I disagree with those size calculators. They basically act like you need to be further away than I think is ideal. If you sit so far away as to make the display smaller, what's the point? Ideally you want the screen to fit your peripheral vision so you don't have to turn your head or move it to see everything in the image. Any larger and it gets annoying and ruins the experience. Too much smaller, and again, why bother? That's my $0.02 anyway.

My 27" monitor is just fine for me when I am playing mouse+keyboard games, and for general PC use, but when I am using a controller, somehow 27" just seems too small.
I think this is true for me as well.

Maybe not so much in FPSes, but in MMOs and such where there are still chatboxes and textual elements and packed buff bars and such - a TV at the couch is just too hard for me to read and keep up with, but a monitor is perfect. And 27" seems to be the sweet spot - I can catch the entire thing in my field of view - much bigger and I have to sit too far back for me to really be able to make out text to be able to have the same field of view.

That said, console/controller games, FPSes, and the like don't tend to do that and have larger UI elements - HUD Maps and large interface wheels such. Those, playing from the couch is fine, and if the monitor extends a bit into my peripheral vision it doesn't break the game.

Back in the day, like 2004'ish, I had a 30" Panasonic 1080i 16:9 CRT TV, That sum-b was HEAVY. Had an awesome picture though.

Back in the day, like 2004'ish, I had a 30" Panasonic 1080i 16:9 CRT TV, That sum-b was HEAVY. Had an awesome picture though.
I have a 34” Sony that is basically the same thing. Still have it in the kids play room, because they can’t really break it and it’s just fine for Disney+

At one point I tested something like that. I'd found one at a thrift store for about $100 and about killed myself trying to move it. The one I found was in a cabinet. Ended up taking it back for some reason that I can't remember.

I have a 34” Sony that is basically the same thing. Still have it in the kids play room, because they can’t really break it and it’s just fine for Disney+
I can't remember the size anymore but our last CRT t.v.s were both Trinitron. Mine was literally the last model they were made back in the 90s. My wife had a similar one that was a little older. Eventually, mine got gifted to her mom. It only got retired around 2-3 years ago. Man those suckers were heavy too and a real pain to move. Mine had an S-Video jack and using high-grade cables it looked amazing at 1024x768. I pretty much skipped most monitors back in the day because of it until flatscreens started coming down in price. The first one was a 22" 1680x1050 Star Logic that began my monitor obsession.

I sit about 7 feet away from my HDTV now, and I'm thinking 50"-55" would work out much better for me. I sit about 2-2.5" away from my monitor, and 27" has been great for that.
I did about the same distance for my 27" displays and agree that was pretty good for the day. We tried 55" at around 7-10feet but it felt kinda small. Eventually, we shifted to 65" and couldn't be happier.

We tried 55" at around 7-10feet but it felt kinda small. Eventually, we shifted to 65" and couldn't be happier.
Aahh very interesting. I'll keep that in mind.

I can't remember the size anymore but our last CRT t.v.s were both Trinitron.
Yeah Trinitrons were f*ckin' siiiiiiiiiiick, and that doesn't just go for TVs and PC monitors, but also arcade monitors (especially those final-gen multisync displays). Unfortunately I never got to own one myself. At least, not yet.

Man those suckers were heavy too and a real pain to move.
I'm remembering the pain from moving my current 30" CRT TV into my game room, which was in 2017. It was hard just getting it in through the door. My friend has a 32" CRT in his game room, and moving that thing just to access ports in the back takes like 3 people. No idea how he and his brother took that sh1t up their stairs.

Become a Patron!
Back