Philips Announces 27-Inch 4K HDR Monitor Designed for Xbox

Unfortunately I never got to own one myself
It was a moment of pride when I got one. I grew up with one because my dad scored getting it right from Sony when we were overseas in 1979. We'd had other t.v.s but that became the defining standard for me and it didn't really die until sometime in the early 90s. I paid $600 for mine in the mid-late 90s and that was a lot of money back then but I knew it was worth it.

The Z9D I was able to get few years ago manages to remind of them still, even though the technologies are so still completely different. I remember when they debuted around 2016 and cost upwards of $6K+ for a 65" and knew I'd never be able to afford one. Fast forward to around Jan 2019 and I couldn't believe they were still making them and managed to get one for around $2500 brand new. At around 1100 nits, HDR10 and Dolby Vision(streaming apps), plus 3D, I dread the day it dies. For games that are just friggin' too dark and have HDR(Resident Evil) it makes them look amazing. I'm finishing my first replay of Village on it this week. Talking about hard to get through the door. I had to have a friend help me unbox and hoist it onto the desk in the cave. I still love the LG C9 but the Z9D not being OLED means I don't have to worry about burn in and get the extra brightness to boot since so many games these days are ridiculously dark. The C9 beats it for better blacks and 120hz/G-sync but other than that the Z9D is awesome. Rtings review complained about ghosting issues but once I turned off all post-processing it really hasn't been a problem for me.

Before moving LCD my last tube tb was a 27 inch sony Wega... and yes... HOLY FUDGE NUGETS THAT THING WAS HEAVY.

On an aside I have a Printer from nearly the same generation that I still use today. Thank you laser printers of quality.

but as a monitor idk, pros and cons.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about all of them these days. For me, there are so many boxes to check and even the most expensive ones(that I cannot afford) still don't check 'em all. I still say one that most would've loved is a 30-32" 1440p HDR10(1000 nits), OLED, 120-165Hz, VRR(G-Sync/FreeSync), 1-4 ms GtG, true 10-bit, over 100% Adobe/sRGB, available in either 16:9 or 21:9. I really believe something like that would've sold like crazy as most people have builds that could take advantage of all that with or without any supersampling shenanigans. The CRG9 I have comes really close but the resolution is almost as demanding as 4K and the blacks don't quite compare to my t.v.'s, although it is hugely better than most other monitors I've owned.

Become a Patron!
Back