Philips Merges 23.8″ LCD Monitor with E Ink Display

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Philips 24B1D5600 is now available for purchase at select retailers for $1,599.99. This is a 24-inch monitor that features an LCD panel with 1440p resolution, and while that specification isn't too exciting in itself, the 24B1D5600 also includes a fold-out, 13.3-inch E Ink (electronic ink) screen, making it a potentially exciting display for some of the more dedicated readers out there. Fans of E Ink devices say that they are way more comfortable to read on compared to LCDs, as they display content by more traditional means rather than shooting light directly into one's eyeballs, although there are some obvious and serious drawbacks as well, including lesser refresh rates and limited colors.

See full article...

I'm not sure how well this will sell but I could see it being very beneficial in schools/colleges where you might have content on the main screen and then class materials on the E-ink reader. It's an interesting idea for sure. I've already seen setups on Reddit where users have paired a 2nd screen to a laptop or monitor in portrait mode for text so this is just following that idea but with E-ink. I've also experimented with using a mobile 17.3" display in portrait with my desktop for things like email while keeping my main content on the larger display.

Become a Patron!
Back