Picking an X570

mda

n00b
Which X570s should be on my radar?

I'm thinking of either the X570 Crosshair VIII Hero and the X570 Strix E at the moment. Will be paired with either a 3700X, a 3800X or a 3900X. I already have 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX RAM on hand. The Gigabytes and the MSI boards do look decent, but I've read that GB's UEFI implementation on their midrange boards seem a little wonky (read about the GB X470 Gaming 5 in particular) with some finer grain settings missing.

I don't think I really need the 3900X above the 3700/3800X but I 'want' it.

In the past, the X470 CH7 and the X470 Strix F were quite far apart in terms of features, but this no longer seems to be the case with the CH8 Hero and the X570 Strix E, which is a step up above the F.

Are there any indication of pricing yet?

My first post here, and let's get motherboard threads started! :)

Its honestly too early to tell. We haven't seen the complete lineup offered by every manufacturer. We don't know what design changes they've got going on, what audio and network controllers they have etc.

I've been following the new AMD boards and like what they have to offer. I especially like Gigabyte's offerings.

The Giagabyte flagship is $600. That's ridiculous. The next in line is the Master, which was said to be $350. $250 has always been my limit. I have a Gigabyte gaming K7 now, and I liked it. I was going to go with Gigabyte again. MSI has always been my go to before the Gigabyte, so I'm interested in what MSI's pricing is.

I really want a X570 m-atx board but no one seems to have one in their line up. I may have to settle for an itx or even the dtx board I saw.
Going to need to read reviews first though.

I really want a X570 m-atx board but no one seems to have one in their line up. I may have to settle for an itx or even the dtx board I saw.
Going to need to read reviews first though.

Keep in mind that other form factors beyond ATX sometimes come out later and aren't part of the first run.

The Giagabyte flagship is $600. That's ridiculous. The next in line is the Master, which was said to be $350. $250 has always been my limit. I have a Gigabyte gaming K7 now, and I liked it. I was going to go with Gigabyte again. MSI has always been my go to before the Gigabyte, so I'm interested in what MSI's pricing is.

Doesn't ASRock have a $1000 mobo, granted it has a water block but **** 1k for a mobo.

Its honestly too early to tell. We haven't seen the complete lineup offered by every manufacturer. We don't know what design changes they've got going on, what audio and network controllers they have etc.

Thanks. Right now, I'm just going by power phases and some basic functions. Wifi is nice to have, as well as the Intel NICs. I really don't care for 2.5gbps NICs at this point, but both boards seem to have it anyway. The BIOS flashback and the LED debug codes are nice too. These two boards have them while in the X470s, only the CH7 did.

I'm looking at the STRIX-E and the CH8 Hero as it seems that the BIOS settings are slightly gimped on the non ROG models (like my Z87 Pro).

I'm only considering ATX at this point though. I have a Phanteks P600s case, and a Noctua NH-U12A currently waiting for it.

Any manufacturer tell them that they were going to let you guys in on early samples already? ;)

Last edited:
Depending on reviews I'm really leaning towards the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme.

I am hoping that manufacturers find a way to redesign the cooling of the X570 chipset so that a fan is not required. It looks like so far only Gigabyte managed to eliminate the fan on the Aorus Extreme.

I think eliminating the fan and having a reliable and functional cooling solution should be possible with some heatpipes and REAL heatsinks with actual fins that increase surface area instead of looking like an art project. Oh well, maybe in the 2nd generation X570 boards, if they even get created in the future. Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi Extreme perhaps?

I am hoping that manufacturers find a way to redesign the cooling of the X570 chipset so that a fan is not required. It looks like so far only Gigabyte managed to eliminate the fan on the Aorus Extreme.

I think eliminating the fan and having a reliable and functional cooling solution should be possible with some heatpipes and REAL heatsinks with actual fins that increase surface area instead of looking like an art project. Oh well, maybe in the 2nd generation X570 boards, if they even get created in the future. Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi Extreme perhaps?

The problem with chipset heat sink design is that it can't have an increased vertical space for cooling fins to work. Increasing the physical foot print is possible, but difficult depending on the design of the board. Unfortunately for us, a tiny fan is cheaper than a massively sprawling heat sink with heat pipes in it.

The "art project" look as you call it isn't really the problem.

When there is a artistic shroud covering the "heat sink" (I'm using quotes here because these things are not really heat sinks in the traditional sense) and it blocks air flow, it is a problem. When the "heat sink" is this semi-mono-block looking thing with 2mm "fins" and no functional way to get air past it, it is a problem.

Seriously, take a look at the picture of the C8H Hero Wifi in this link:

You really think that the shroud covering the VRM and I/O block is helping cool the VRM in any meaningful way? That's what I am referring to when I say "art project". I should have used the term "form over function", which seems to be used more often in the design of "heat sinks" on MBs these days. It's not just Asus, I just picked that one out of many similar designs. Heat sinks are supposed to transfer heat to the air and this is most efficiently accomplished through surface area. Flat surfaces are not good surface area. That top VRM heat sink block is a joke. It is artistically-driven.

Yes, I get that in most cases (including the C8H above) the VRM is so over-designed that those blocks of metal are enough to keep temperatures well under check even when OCing. So the engineers said "yeah, go ahead and design a VRM heatsink any way you want, because it will keep the VRM cool no matter what shape it is anyway." But my point is that a heat pipe or two could be put between the X570 chipset ASIC on the bottom and the left side VRM heatsink which could continue on to the top VRM heatsink, similar to the Asus P5E design from 2007:
Look, actual fins!

My questions to Asus would be: Did you even TRY a passive design? Was it simply not possible to keep cool passively? Was passive cooling possible but just too expensive and beyond what an enthusiast would pay for? Was a passive design possible, but too ugly for the marketers?

Maybe 11 to 15W is still too much for a heat pipe to pull off the chipset so the fan is truly a necessity (I doubt it though), but somehow Gigabyte managed to create a passively cooled version, so I would expect Asus to at least try at some point. I was actually surprised that Asus has NO passive versions at all.

If Asus declared some of the fan specs and operation design I might feel better about it. For example if the fan was ball bearing supported and only ran when necessary at variable speeds instead of all of the time and it was PWM controlled, then I could be persuaded to at least give it a try.

I'd try the Gigabyte but I'm spoiled by the Asus UEFI interface.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir here. I'm sure all of the MB vendors will let you purchase a replacement chipset fan when the time comes. Right? Right....

Looking forward to whatever gives the best NVME options for a good price. With those cheap Microcenter 1tb drives, I could go all NVME for my current storage.

When there is a artistic shroud covering the "heat sink" (I'm using quotes here because these things are not really heat sinks in the traditional sense) and it blocks air flow, it is a problem. When the "heat sink" is this semi-mono-block looking thing with 2mm "fins" and no functional way to get air past it, it is a problem.

Seriously, take a look at the picture of the C8H Hero Wifi in this link:

You really think that the shroud covering the VRM and I/O block is helping cool the VRM in any meaningful way? That's what I am referring to when I say "art project". I should have used the term "form over function", which seems to be used more often in the design of "heat sinks" on MBs these days. It's not just Asus, I just picked that one out of many similar designs. Heat sinks are supposed to transfer heat to the air and this is most efficiently accomplished through surface area. Flat surfaces are not good surface area. That top VRM heat sink block is a joke. It is artistically-driven.

Yes, I get that in most cases (including the C8H above) the VRM is so over-designed that those blocks of metal are enough to keep temperatures well under check even when OCing. So the engineers said "yeah, go ahead and design a VRM heatsink any way you want, because it will keep the VRM cool no matter what shape it is anyway." But my point is that a heat pipe or two could be put between the X570 chipset ASIC on the bottom and the left side VRM heatsink which could continue on to the top VRM heatsink, similar to the Asus P5E design from 2007:
Look, actual fins!

My questions to Asus would be: Did you even TRY a passive design? Was it simply not possible to keep cool passively? Was passive cooling possible but just too expensive and beyond what an enthusiast would pay for? Was a passive design possible, but too ugly for the marketers?

Maybe 11 to 15W is still too much for a heat pipe to pull off the chipset so the fan is truly a necessity (I doubt it though), but somehow Gigabyte managed to create a passively cooled version, so I would expect Asus to at least try at some point. I was actually surprised that Asus has NO passive versions at all.

If Asus declared some of the fan specs and operation design I might feel better about it. For example if the fan was ball bearing supported and only ran when necessary at variable speeds instead of all of the time and it was PWM controlled, then I could be persuaded to at least give it a try.

I'd try the Gigabyte but I'm spoiled by the Asus UEFI interface.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir here. I'm sure all of the MB vendors will let you purchase a replacement chipset fan when the time comes. Right? Right....

All good points. The fact is, they all strike a balance between what they consider aesthetically pleasing and functional. These days, there are a lot of quality motherboards out there and aesthetics are one element to separate themselves out from their competition. I agree the designs could be more efficient, but if motherboards were only built to be efficient, they'd all still have orange or green PCBs and brown or white expansion slots, hideous ports, and so on.

In terms of aesthetically pleasing...

Gigabyte's X570 lineup looks ugly to me given how they designed the M.2 heatsinks, the PCH heatsink and the fan.

The Aorus Ultra/Master look 'decent'.

In comparison, almost all the Asus boards look well integrated (whether you like the gamery design or not is a different matter).

That said, I've never been someone to pick a component based on how it looks. My machines are all a mish-mash of odd looking components and were bought on price and performance considerations (Brown Noctua Fans, Blue DIMMs, Gold Z87 Board).

That said, apparently, the Gigabytes already have approximate pricing on them, where the cheapest ATX board is at about 200$. Wonder how much the Crosshair 8 Hero and the Strix E cost...

Last edited:
To me $250 is a lot for a Mobo. I guess I'll have to wait for some reviews to sway me. I could get a decent x470 for 200, or do I get a mid-range x570 for 250. Ugh. I really like the gigabyte master though. But at North of $300 it's hard. Since I'll probably stick in an 8 core and oc as far as I can on air, I probably don't need an over kill Mobo.

If I decide to go the AMD route this time it will be with a Gigabyte board. I agree that $250 + for a motherboard is pretty high. I will wait and see.

Having purchased dual CPU motherboards and HEDT motherboards for years now, $250 doesn't seem that high to me.

Become a Patron!
Back