PlayStation “Auto-Play” Patent Alludes to a Future Where Gamers No Longer Need to Play Their Games

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
A patent application titled "Method and System for Auto-Playing Portions of a Video Game" from Sony Interactive Entertainment has been published online, teasing a new feature that would effectively allow players to sit back as their PlayStation hardware and/or software plays their games for them.

See full article...

Let's hope that this is a "catch and kill" designed to prevent unwanted emergent technology by filing a patent on it and then doing nothing with it. This could also be a way to go after auto-bot cheat makers by suing them for patent infringement.

Here is an idea: If you don't play the game you're not the player. Isn't it just a terrible animated movie at that point?
Agreed.

Though I will admit to - on the original version of Zelda II: Link on the NES, finding a spot where a low level monster spawned really predictably, and when forced by my mom to "go out and play" I would tape the down button and the attack button (on a controller with a rapid repeat function) and come back a long time later and the character would have leveled up :p

I was like 8 years old at the time through :p

Become a Patron!
Back