PlayStation 5’s Media Remote Has Dedicated Launch Buttons Instead of Programmable Ones

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-5-media-remote-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

In a new post on PlayStation.Blog, Sony’s Phil Rosenberg (Head of Global Partner Development and Relations) revealed that PS5 owners would have access to several of the most popular streaming apps on day one. He also shared a new photo of the Media Remote, confirming that the peripheral will feature dedicated buttons for four select streaming services: Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, and Disney+.

This is actually disappointing. Previous images of the Media Remote showed four empty buttons, which suggested that the buttons might be programmable, but evidently, that isn’t the case. We’re guessing that Sony got a big, fat paycheck from each of those streaming giants for the exclusive...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't surprise me, my roku tv remote has similar buttons.

Having a button worth probably 100s of millions vs worthless... Hard hard choices.

So how will the Disney+ button work outside the US? You know where there is no freaking Disney+?

Pretty ****ty. Why cant they learn that these buttons age poorly (logo changes, mergers, companies failing) and just look ugly even when still accurate given the time. Programmable buttons should be chosen every time for these functions.

They should just include the thing with the PS5. But no, it will be a $50 add on and it probably uses BT or RF instead of IR, making it incompatible with my Harmony remote.

I normally wouldn't bother, as I have a Roku for streaming, but I will be using the PS5 as a 4K/UHD player and a remote would be nice. Using a controller with a movie is ok once or twice, but gets old and is not wife friendly.

Become a Patron!
Back